SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#299260 - 11/12/10 02:14 PM Yamaha; Could you please link MusicFinder to Registrations!!!
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I just purchased a Tyros 4 and I'm struggling with choosing between setting up my songs as Registrations or MusicFinder entries just as I did on my Tyros 1.

How come in 10 years, Yamaha cannot make this simple fix; Linking the MusicFinder entries to the Registrations!!!! In software speak, this is Sooooo simple to do and would pay HUGE dividends to the performer.

Grrrrrrrr!!! (sorry I had to vent! lol)

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#299261 - 11/12/10 02:30 PM Re: Yamaha; Could you please link MusicFinder to Registrations!!!
Beakybird Offline

Whatever the limitations, for live performance, set up registrations which can save a lot more parameters than MFD can.

MFD is good for learning songs and practicing, not much else.

#299262 - 11/12/10 02:40 PM Re: Yamaha; Could you please link MusicFinder to Registrations!!!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Al, I of course concur with you completely about that. In fact I recently posted similar sentiments on ypko about this on 11/10th, of which I wrote:

" I've been a longtime proponent of getting Yamaha to add the ability of a MF data record to call up a given Registration Bank file. Over the years, In meeting discussions with Yamaha USA , UK, & Japan, they acknowledged the added benefits, as well as the ease of adding this feature, but somehow never acted on it.

The current MF is merely a database of records of which (along with song name), simply calls up a given style and tempo. Using 3rd party software, we can edit and even easily create our own custom MF database of songs (ie: your perf repertoire) from scratch, of which I do. Problem is that the parameters stored is very limited (only song title, style, tempo, and beat), and reason many of us (including myself) need to rely on REG Bank files instead because it stores a huge number more song parameters than the MF currently can. The limitation of songs stored in Registration files is far slower song locate, search, and access time. Though I store my REG bank files in organized folders & sub folders, it's far slower to locate & call up a given song that way than it is via the Music Finder.

If Yamaha would simply add a "REG" field in the MF database of which could then link to ( call up) a REG Bank file stored in Tyros4 memory, it would greatly enhance the powerfulness & usefulness of the MusicFinder, making it a ONE STOP place to go to call quickly call up ANY given song in your repertoire, including custom settings: (transpose, split point, harmony on/off setting, voc setting, RT1,2,3 voices, etc etc etc.

I urge everyone here to consider the fantastic potential marrying the MF & REGS together has to offer. I hope Yamaha finally listens (this time)."

Scott

#299263 - 11/12/10 02:47 PM Re: Yamaha; Could you please link MusicFinder to Registrations!!!
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Al, I know exactly where you're coming from PA2xPro and Songbook. I agree this should nothing more than a programmer taking the time to write the code, just a software fix nothing more.

#299264 - 11/12/10 02:52 PM Re: Yamaha; Could you please link MusicFinder to Registrations!!!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I'll send in this thread to Yamaha Canada on Monday...you guys/gals add what what you think is necessary.

Ian

#299265 - 11/12/10 03:54 PM Re: Yamaha; Could you please link MusicFinder to Registrations!!!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
From my perspective, the MFD is nothing more than a mini-version of a single registration, and it should be treated as such. The only thing I would add to the MFD entries would be the ability to save the transpose information, which would be extremely beneficial for those of use that utilize the transpose feature.

As for the ability to quickly go through registrations, much of this will depend upon the way those registrations are set up. If you are setting up a single registration per song, then the search process is painfully slow. However, if you use an entire registration bank for each song, searching for an entry is equally as fast as the MFD because the songs are listed alphabetically. If you have a huge number of songs that are stored as registrations you could exceed the OS folder capability. Therefore, if you're working with greater the 150 songs, merely place the first 150 in a folder that is labeled accordingly. A through M, for example, would indicate the all songs beginning with the letters A through M are stored in registrations within that folder. Upon opening the folder, you would see each song, beginning with songs beginning with A. Now it's just a matter of using the Data Scrolling wheel and quickly scrolling through the folder to the song you wish to perform and hitting the Enter button.

For those that need to do this on the fly, you can do all the steps above other than hitting the enter button while still performing another song. As soon as you end the song you are currently performing, hit Enter and you're ready to go. Nothing to it!

If the registration editing feature on a Yamaha keyboard have you somewhat confused, which is understandable, I posted detailed instructions on the PSR Tutorial site under the registrations tab that provides a step by step guide on setting up registrations using two popular methods--one song per bank and one song per button.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#299266 - 11/12/10 04:10 PM Re: Yamaha; Could you please link MusicFinder to Registrations!!!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
'Marriage': is the key!

MFD + REG = Bliss

#299267 - 11/12/10 04:38 PM Re: Yamaha; Could you please link MusicFinder to Registrations!!!
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Gary, Not a bad idea with what you're suggesting. I'm comfortable with registrations, there are workarounds but as Scott wrote:

'Marriage': is the key!
MFD + REG = Bliss

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online