SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#299001 - 11/07/10 05:54 AM What's Your Preference?...Joystick, Mod Wheel, or Ribbon Controller
Dnj Offline

My favorite is the Ribbon Controller the the joy stick.......just seems to be the most natural way to convey the players feeling to the sound being played vs the others. Interesting to hear what Piano Style Full keyboard arranger players prefer also.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-07-2010).]

#299002 - 11/07/10 06:02 AM Re: What's Your Preference?...Joystick, Mod Wheel, or Ribbon Controller
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I like the pitch and mod wheels the best, although I can use joystick and lever no problem.

I got used the wheels on a Minimoog, but my Jupiter 8 has a lever/bender, so I got used to that as well.

Then again, my Polymoog had a pitch strip, just above the middle of the keyboard...that was cool too, as you could use either hand.

In actuality, there is no "best way" in my opinion...just what works best for the player.

Bottom line, and if given one choice...I prefer the wheels.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 11-07-2010).]

#299003 - 11/07/10 01:04 PM Re: What's Your Preference?...Joystick, Mod Wheel, or Ribbon Controller
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
Joystick. The Korg Trinity I used to play had one, and so does my XP-80, although the Roland only goes 3 directions.
My psr and Nord have mod wheels and pitch benders as separate devices, which I dont like nearly as well. Why would I want to use 2 different devices to do some sort of expression when i could do it with 1? Ribbons are OK, the Trinity had that too, and it does have its uses, but the joystick is my preferred method.

#299004 - 11/07/10 01:17 PM Re: What's Your Preference?...Joystick, Mod Wheel, or Ribbon Controller
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by FAEbGBD:

My psr and Nord have mod wheels and pitch benders as separate devices, which I dont like nearly as well. Why would I want to use 2 different devices to do some sort of expression when i could do it with 1?

It may not be important to you, Rory, but having the separate modulation wheel (that isn't spring loaded) allows me to leave it in the "on" or forward position, or anywhere in between...good for cross fades and filter control, and still leaving the second wheel to do pitch.

A joystick would be my second choice...the ones on the Korg workstations are really nice (I've yet to play a Korg arranger).

Ian

#299005 - 11/07/10 06:12 PM Re: What's Your Preference?...Joystick, Mod Wheel, or Ribbon Controller
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
I can understand that. Although, for crossfades and or filters I usually like to use some other assignable slider, especially if it is something that is going to be left on or part way on. With a joystick I can integrate my filter sweep or vibrato depth in with my pitch bending; kind of neat to open a filter or increase a vibrato while a pitch ben is happening.

#299006 - 11/07/10 07:11 PM Re: What's Your Preference?...Joystick, Mod Wheel, or Ribbon Controller
Nick G Online   content

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
100% i prefer having a dedicated Mod Wheel next to the Pitch Bender.

I have a ribbon controller on the Motif XF and I never use it actually...

The assignable Ball that the Technics KN 6500 had was awesome and I wish keyboards of today included that!!

Nick

#299007 - 11/07/10 07:17 PM Re: What's Your Preference?...Joystick, Mod Wheel, or Ribbon Controller
TP123 Offline

Loc: Fla. / Nashville
I too like the Mod wheel... the joy stick felt a little... unnatural

#299008 - 11/07/10 09:17 PM Re: What's Your Preference?...Joystick, Mod Wheel, or Ribbon Controller
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by FAEbGBD:
I can understand that. Although, for crossfades and or filters I usually like to use some other assignable slider, especially if it is something that is going to be left on or part way on. With a joystick I can integrate my filter sweep or vibrato depth in with my pitch bending; kind of neat to open a filter or increase a vibrato while a pitch ben is happening.

Yes, Rory, the joystick has it's advantages for sure...on the PSR-S910, there aren't any assignable sliders per se, so the wheel is rather important in that respect.

On one of the Korg's I'm pretty sure I remember being able to assign the Leslie, or rotary speaker, fast and slow, to the joy-stick's side to side motion...it was a lot like the half-moon switch on my old B-3, and felt very natural.

I remember playing a Roland (or was it a Korg?) synth that had the paddle, or lever, and pitch bend and mod wheels as well.

Ian

#299009 - 11/08/10 10:27 AM Re: What's Your Preference?...Joystick, Mod Wheel, or Ribbon Controller
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Activating 'Pitchbend' & 'Filter Effect' on the iPhone/iPad:

Music Studio App: Demo

#299010 - 11/08/10 10:45 AM Re: What's Your Preference?...Joystick, Mod Wheel, or Ribbon Controller
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Activating 'Pitchbend' & 'Filter Effect' on the iPhone/iPad:

Music Studio App: Demo

That is sooooo cool!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online