SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#317153 - 02/21/11 07:07 AM Re: YAMAHA T3 STYLES + KETRON SD2 SOUNDS [Re: DAN.2000]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I thought maybe the Tyros styles were converted to Ketron with the vArranger and could be saved as a Ketron style, allowing the Ketron Audya to play them direct. The answer is evidently no.

Just a wild thought.
Thanks

#317161 - 02/21/11 08:11 AM Re: YAMAHA T3 STYLES + KETRON SD2 SOUNDS [Re: DAN.2000]
DAN.2000 Offline

Loc: FRANCE
No, vArranger own internally 2 independant engines to play Ketron styles and Yamaha styles. There is no conversion. The goal was to play Ketron styles exactly as played on a Ketron Keyboard, and Yamaha styles as played by Yamaha Keybs. You must know that Yamaha and Ketron have internally a very different way to generate the automatic accompaniment. Any conversion will remove some parts of the Styles.

Dan
https://www.varranger.com

#317163 - 02/21/11 08:35 AM Re: YAMAHA T3 STYLES + KETRON SD2 SOUNDS [Re: DAN.2000]
DAN.2000 Offline

OK Scott !!

I just recorded a small mp3 demo with the fisrt style from your wish list !

You can hear the Tyros 4 style BigBandFast1.prs played by vArranger and Ketron SD4 here :

http://www.varranger.com/demo/vArrangerTyros4BigBandFast1.mp3

Dan

Dan

#317171 - 02/21/11 10:16 AM Re: YAMAHA T3 STYLES + KETRON SD2 SOUNDS [Re: DAN.2000]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
i'd like to hear it next to the actual tyros style please

#317172 - 02/21/11 10:26 AM Re: YAMAHA T3 STYLES + KETRON SD2 SOUNDS [Re: DAN.2000]
DAN.2000 Offline

I don't have the Tyros 4 frown

Dan

#317173 - 02/21/11 10:30 AM Re: YAMAHA T3 STYLES + KETRON SD2 SOUNDS [Re: DAN.2000]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
But here is the Yamaha 50s Big Band....

Sounds about 70% better to me...

http://www.yamahamusicsoft.com/ofs/product/sample/files/e/6/e6cc3c283fb9e5b903f57efb4523ea1a.MP3.mp3

#317174 - 02/21/11 10:34 AM Re: YAMAHA T3 STYLES + KETRON SD2 SOUNDS [Re: DAN.2000]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: DAN.2000
OK Scott !!

You can hear the Tyros 4 style BigBandFast1.prs played by vArranger and Ketron SD4 here :

Dan

Sounds EXACTLY like an SD2. I DID own one for a while. Sold it because I thought it sounded pretty ordinary really, for the money I paid. Good decent sounds yes, but nothing to make anyone go "wow".

To try and compare a SD2 to the Tyros 4, is well, silly!!

There is none. SD2 is a bread and butter GM module, sounds are dated and only sound acceptable when in ensemble playing, as is the case with the demos.

Dennis

#317175 - 02/21/11 10:47 AM Re: YAMAHA T3 STYLES + KETRON SD2 SOUNDS [Re: DAN.2000]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Well, you are comparing a factory demo to essentially a 'user' demo, for one thing, then not the same style.

I still want to hear those head to heads.

From listening to the vArranger demo, I think perhaps Dan needs to take a look at some volume offsets. It's obvious that the horns got buried in the intro on his version, but then again, without the original, it's tough to be sure.

But here, in many ways, is the whole problem with the idea. To get an accurate translation, it's not enough just to line up the samples. You HAVE to get the velocity response curve AND the volume CC curves (AND the reverb/chorus/delay curves) to line up dead right...

You see, there's nothing in the MIDI spec that specifies HOW CC7 affects the volume. Is it linear? Is it logarithmic? Is it somewhere in between? There's nothing in the MIDI spec that determines HOW velocity will affect a note... just that it get louder. But by how MUCH? And with what curve?

And each arranger manufacturer is slightly different. So plug one's translated style into another's engine, and you can STILL have unbalanced styles. Heck, it even happens when you plug legacy styles from the SAME arranger manufacturer into a far more modern arranger. Getting the sounds to line up is just the BEGINNING...

#317176 - 02/21/11 10:54 AM Re: YAMAHA T3 STYLES + KETRON SD2 SOUNDS [Re: miden]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: miden
Originally Posted By: DAN.2000
OK Scott !!

Dan

Sounds EXACTLY like an SD2. I DID own one for a while. Sold it because I thought it sounded pretty ordinary really, for the money I paid. Good decent sounds yes, but nothing to make anyone go "wow".

To try and compare a SD2 to the Tyros 4, is well, silly!!

There is none. SD2 is a bread and butter GM module, sounds are dated and only sound acceptable when in ensemble playing, as is the case with the demos.

Dennis

Dennis your quote is true....but...considering the example is a converted Tyos4 style to the SD2 format....it is pretty good....

If you want to see how well it came out..Do the reverse..try a converted Ketron or Roland style to Yamaha format, and play that on a Tyros4....It won't be anywhere as good as Dan's demo..If most of the conversion to SD2 sounds this good..it is more than useable..

BTW: Dennis..how do you evaluate and come up with a specific percentage of improvement smile..I understand better, or much better..but 70 percent better makes me think too much.. grin

I think Dan's program has a lot of merit and his offer to continue improving the program with free updates..reminds me of Domenic's support..

#317178 - 02/21/11 11:07 AM Re: YAMAHA T3 STYLES + KETRON SD2 SOUNDS [Re: Fran Carango]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Originally Posted By: Fran Carango

I think Dan's program has a lot of merit and his offer to continue improving the program with free updates..reminds me of Domenic's support..

How's that Bass Inversion thingy coming along for you, Fran? wink

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online