SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#297532 - 10/29/10 12:57 AM Re: Roland Prelude Discontinued?.
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Most 15" powered speakers with horns weigh in about the same as the G70 in a case. LOTS of us use those!

Anyway, cases are meant to ROLL, not lift... Can't remember the last time I had to lift the whole thing. Perhaps you guys need a lesson in leverage, rather than One Finger Chord systems?

Well, first of all, I wouldn't drag around 15's...Bose L1's, Yamaha StagePas, or my Yamaha MS-60's work perfect for me.

Of course, I don't do loud, harsh aggressive music any more...it's time to kick back, and enjoy the more refined and lucrative gigs, more deserving of the refined and detailed Yamaha sound.

Use the dinosaur...it's your prerogative...and, like other home keyboards, it has one fingered chords, so that ought to keep you guys happy...you'll be too worn out from carrying it to play anything remotely complex...

Ian

#297533 - 10/29/10 05:51 AM Re: Roland Prelude Discontinued?.
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
My "real" gigs..I haul the G70 in a Gator case with the pocket filled with accessories...it weighs around 80 pounds...and worth every ounce to me...

The "real" gigs, I also haul a pair of Old Roland Cubes (15", 3-way) at 70 pounds each)..The Cubes have wheels, and the case has wheels....If I don't feel like moving them individually..I use the R@R R-10...Especially hauling the Apex stand and my accessory bag (another 30 pounds)...

I love it!!!..

For my mediocre jobs (band)...1 hour NH type....I carry the 17 pound Prelude and a 29 pound BA330.....and I am still happy...but not as happy as my "BIG" set up..

I'll let you guys know when I get "wimpy"...but at a young 67..no problems for me...YET!!!..

#297534 - 10/29/10 06:59 AM Re: Roland Prelude Discontinued?.
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Well Fran you still have a few years to go to catch up to me, and I hope you never do. If you happen to catch up, that would really be bad news for this old man.

My grandson, who had his 3rd birthday in June, tips the scales at 46 pounds, he's 43-inches tall, and I can still pick him up with one arm. Yesterday we were doing push-ups together (he can do more than me) then took a walk through the neighborhood for a couple miles. So, I guess I'm still in fairly good shape for my 70 years, and I can still single-handedly sail a 27-foot Catalina, which anyone that has sailed can tell you requires a fair degree of physical strength.

There was a time when I lugged 105-pound speakers around and didn't use a hand-cart. I also lugged a 55-pound keyboard and more accessories than anyone can imagine. Since then, speakers got lighter and more efficient, keyboards got lighter and sound much better, and because of this, my van is now lighter and more efficient. Tt seems that the only thing that consistently got heavier and less efficient were people.

Diki is still relatively young and can readily handle the heavier loads at this stage of life. Fran is creeping ever so slowly toward the precipice of where he's going to need those ladies he posted photos of to get both him and his gear out of his car. Don't look back Fran--there's a guy in a black, hooded outfit carrying a scythe and he's hot on your heels. (He a few yards closer to me, though.)

The bottom line is: Don't count us old guys out yet. We still have a few good years left and intend to use them to their fullest--even if means lightening the load ever more than we have.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#297535 - 10/29/10 07:54 AM Re: Roland Prelude Discontinued?.
ianmcnll Offline

Sheeeesh...I don't carry lighter gear because I'm weak...gee, I'm 6'2" and weigh 200 lbs, don't drink or smoke, and have no problem lifting.

I'm just very, very lazy, and at 61, I've had time to hone it down to a science, and any way of making my work easier, I'm going to do it...especially when I take no losses in my sound, gear quality and ease of use.

Ian the Indolent

#297536 - 10/29/10 07:54 AM Re: Roland Prelude Discontinued?.
Dnj Offline

yea, yea , yea,... .....
& televisions used to have Tubes ..

#297537 - 10/29/10 12:55 PM Re: Roland Prelude Discontinued?.
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I've always said, they bring out something that works as well and sounds as GOOD as my G70, I'd be all over it... if it were much lighter. Just can't see compromising to save what, ten pounds? I only lift it twice... once out of the case to put on the stand, once to put it back. But I play it for HOURS... I got to put up with a lesser keyboard, to save myself two lifts?

Thing is, I seldom see anyone willing to admit that their lightweight keyboard is ANY kind of compromise at all... despite even the same manufacturer charging a LOT more for their heavier cousins. Even if you discount going from one manufacturer to another, and take the fanboy issue out of the equation, surely picking the LIGHTEST keyboard over the TOTL is at least SOME kind of compromise?

#297538 - 10/29/10 01:01 PM Re: Roland Prelude Discontinued?.
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Ha...I used to fix TV's, Radios, Ham & CB.

It was fun when it had tubes...you could actually work on them!

Lee S.

#297539 - 10/29/10 01:05 PM Re: Roland Prelude Discontinued?.
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
Ha...I used to fix TV's, Radios, Ham & CB.

It was fun when it had tubes...you could actually work on them!

Lee S.

Yes, now most products are disposable...can't get them fixed, only replaced.

Ian

#297540 - 10/29/10 01:34 PM Re: Roland Prelude Discontinued?.
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Just because a keyboard is made of cast iron, doesn't mean it sounds better, good or bad. It just means it's heavier. The main reason I didn't go with a G-70 was I didn't like what I heard. Believe it or not, the main reason most folks buy a particular keyboard is not all the hype on the Zone or other forums--they actually buy them because of what they hear.

Now, that cast iron case doesn't make it more durable unless you have the tendency to drop the keyboard from a tall building. And, if you do, they all will break--even those made of steel. And, when it comes to strength, there are carbon fibers that are far superior in strength than steel or cast iron, and they weigh a fraction of the metal counterparts. Go figure. Guess the build BS is just that--BS.

So, it's still different strokes for different folks. I'll stick with my lightweight, plastic, great-sounding toy. I, and my audiences, like what they hear.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online