SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#297344 - 10/25/10 06:55 PM Re: Accordion Fans it don't get any better then this...!
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Donny,
I didn't know there were ANY accordion fans. Do you remember the Gary Larson Far Side cartoon about accordions?

Tom

Tom

#297345 - 10/25/10 07:18 PM Re: Accordion Fans it don't get any better then this...!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Cavanaugh:
Donny,
I didn't know there were ANY accordion fans. Do you remember the Gary Larson Far Side cartoon about accordions?

Tom

You mean this one...

#297346 - 10/25/10 08:18 PM Re: Accordion Fans it don't get any better then this...!
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Scott.....don't pay attention to Donny's 5-10 years remark. There IS no set time frame for learning to play any instrument. But I must say, I've been told the accordion is the hardest of them all to pick up. My guess is the buttons on the left...you can't see them. So you're doing 3 things at once playing right hand keyboard, left hand bass, and working the bellows at the same time. A lot of the difficulty is in coordination.

I've been playing accordion since I was a child. It's 2nd nature to me now. What FAEbGBD said about the button accordion is 100% correct. If I had to do it all over again, I'd consider taking up the button rather than the piano keyboard. But only because I enjoy playing French musette music and that type calls for speed, speed, and more speed.

If you're only interested in strolling and portability, get yourself a standard piano keyboard. You already know music so it's only a matter of you practicing it regularly until it "takes."

As for the transition (piano to accordion) I can only say how I handled the change from accordion to piano (and synth). It took me close to a year before a "level" keyboard in front of me looked "natural." I was so used to looking at it from "bottom" to "top." Also, I had to re-learn to play the left hand. Then again, I think I'm a slow learner.

I've been playing more accordion lately than I normally do for the same reasons you mentioned you want to learn it. I can walk around...I'm not limited to a bandstand. I spent October doing Oktoberfests where you move around a lot. Last week at a restaurant Oktoberfest, I earned $110 just in tips for two nights from "strolling." In nursing homes I can go from room to room. On bus tours, I can walk the aisles. Also, "special events" agents are always looking for something different than your standard one-man-band. The accordion seems to be re-inventing itself. Great for me....no set-up time!

If you learn to play this instrument, consider that you'll have the field pretty much to yourself. Hardly anyone takes it up anymore, and those that do, play it as a novelty in a rock band.

Lucky

#297347 - 10/25/10 08:40 PM Re: Accordion Fans it don't get any better then this...!
Dnj Offline

You right lucky I should of said
5-15 years

btw Ive been playing accordion since I was 6 Years old

carry on

#297348 - 10/26/10 05:52 AM Re: Accordion Fans it don't get any better then this...!
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
You can never do what Ludvic Beier is doing in this video with a regular key accordion.....lightning fast !! Amazing!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=792LJQKZ6PU&feature=related

Donny ... having played in numerous accordion competitions on the East Coast as a teen, and having heard kids from all over the world play the most difficult classical pieces on a piano accordion, I would say "Never say NEVER" !!!
t.

#297349 - 10/26/10 10:18 AM Re: Accordion Fans it don't get any better then this...!
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Thanks Ian, I did mean that one. If I hear "Lady of Spain" one more time in the remainder of my life, it will be too soon.

Tom

[This message has been edited by Tom Cavanaugh (edited 10-26-2010).]

Tom

#297350 - 10/26/10 11:55 AM Re: Accordion Fans it don't get any better then this...!
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Me, too, Tom. But, I must admit, I bought a little accordion as a show sample at a Summer NAMM a few years ago.

Russ (Always liked those "squeezeboxes (LOL)Lay

(Not what you think...the line from the song, damnit...you know" mamma's got a squeezebox...")

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 10-26-2010).]

#297351 - 10/27/10 09:10 PM Re: Accordion Fans it don't get any better then this...!
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
You right lucky I should of said
5-15 years

Scott....don't pay any attention to this. Donny is apparently a slower learner than I am even.

You don't need to be a virtuoso. You could probably be playing in under a year. Just do a lot of daily practice and use those "mind" techniques.

Otherwise, use the "shortcut" method. Don't play the left hand!

Lucky

#297352 - 11/04/10 11:25 AM Re: Accordion Fans it don't get any better then this...!
moldmaker Offline

Loc: Illinois
Hey Scott,
Check out this guy. A new way of playing accordion. Pretty cool.
Wally
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XOcnTluaec

#297353 - 11/04/10 01:30 PM Re: Accordion Fans it don't get any better then this...!
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I started taking lessons on accordion at age 12 years 8 months...I excelled quickly, and within 3 years was as good as most accordion players..I continued lessons for another 3 years..total 6 years...Including my theory studies and jazz arranging..
I graduated high school at the age of 17 and then went to college..and studied music another couple years..

My point ..if you are not an accomplished player within 3 years of study..you did not apply yourself and/or you need better teachers...

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online