SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#296114 - 10/09/10 05:54 AM OASYS + Mediastation = The Future Now
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi guys.

I just want to share my feelings on this because I think for the first time ever I am utterly content with my sound and the ability of the two keyboards I have. Obviously it started when I got the OASYS as I downsized my Studio heavily because I felt HD-1 made everything else PCM based I owned at the time obsolete, and all the other engines gave me the tools to be ultra creative when designing sounds. That and the clarity of the OASYS sound and it's ability to be used in a mix without ever giving me problems with the spectrum being overloaded and muddy makes the OASYS an utter dream machine to work with on countless levels. Truly a KORG masterpiece of the highest order that is so good sounding it's almost impossible to explain to anyone who does not own an OASYS.

However, regardless of the label it once had, it is not an open keyboard, not even close, and it is something that KORG were able to discontinue unexpectedly which has also defined the value of the investment in the OASYS. I'm not going to list out the points and reason why because it's been said countless times on the forum and at the end of the day, it is what it is and at this point I'm happy with that and I do love the OASYS for all it is.

That said though, this is where the Mediastation steps in as the perfect companion.

From an investment point of view first, the Mediastation is a true Open keyboard that is technically unlimited. To be more accurate, my unit in it's current configuration is only limited by the speed and ability of the CPU, Motherboard and RAM that's installed. If years from now I need more power I can just replace those parts and I have a current model again. The Lionstracs OS is open ended and those who bought a keyboard 6 years ago are still getting free OS updates, the exact same OS updates the people with the latest keyboards are getting. Beyond that again you then have the fully open part of the system which allows you to install your own software or favourite programs, VSTi's or massive Giga Libraries. So even if at some point Lionstracs stop developing the OS for my model, the system is still open always to accept new software.

It offers way more than just a PC too. The Lionstracs OS allows you to integrate anything new you install with the custom Lionstracs interface. When I select sound for example from massive giga libraries, I do not load any software or have to interact with a PC interface. I select the sounds no differently than I do on my OASYS. So you do get the tight integration of a closed system, plus all the benefits of an open system at the same time. Dedicated buttons control everything too which makes operation of the system extremely tightly integrated. I can call entire VSTi's setups at the press of a single button and jump between multi setups at the press of a button.

Now pair all that with the OASYS and where do you go after that ?

It's got to be one of the most powerful combinations of technology around. Open Labs don't even fit into this as an alternative because they are not even close to being as tightly integrated at the OS level as Liosntracs keyboards. An Open Labs keybaord is for the most part just a PC in a keyboard assembly.

Maybe in the future KORG will take the OASYS concept and allow it to evolve into a true open keyboard with all the benefits of OASYS technology, but at this moment in time I have to say that I must have the ultimate setup anyone could have right now and I feel like telling people about it.

Bottom line... KORG + Lionstracs = The future now. If I were an arranger user, give me a Pa2X and Lionstracs and I'd feel the same way.

Regards
James

#296115 - 10/09/10 06:41 AM Re: OASYS + Mediastation = The Future Now
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
I feel exactly the same way about my Wersi, I can add anything I want, the PC hardware is upgradable and I can add any third party sounds etc., I want, as well as being easy to use, which is why for me personally, I prefer it above the others out there.
Others will have different requirements, and so will choose an instrument that suits them. (There is no right or wrong about personal choice, even though some try to prove to themselves and others that there is)
Enjoy whatever you play

Bill

#296116 - 10/09/10 07:29 AM Re: OASYS + Mediastation = The Future Now
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
James,
Great setup and sounds like you are very happy.

Please tell us..how do you use the 2 keyboards together...or better yet..how would I use a PA2XPRO with the Mediastation...I'm not sure where your comming from.

Thanks,
Lee S.

#296117 - 10/09/10 12:19 PM Re: OASYS + Mediastation = The Future Now
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
If I were an arranger user, I would feel robbed that I had to buy a PA2Xpro AS WELL as a Mediastation.

I would want the Mediastation people to get off their lazy arses, and FINISH the incomplete arranger section, and add some decent content. Then my Mediastation wouldn't cost me $3000+ MORE than it ought to, to simply add in a Korg to do what it OUGHT to be able to do now...

I get what you are saying, James, but the future NOW, for arranger players, is still apparently a long way off.

#296118 - 10/09/10 12:32 PM Re: OASYS + Mediastation = The Future Now
Tony Hughes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
If I were an arranger user, I would feel robbed that I had to buy a PA2Xpro AS WELL as a Mediastation.

I would want the Mediastation people to get off their lazy arses, and FINISH the incomplete arranger section, and add some decent content. Then my Mediastation wouldn't cost me $3000+ MORE than it ought to, to simply add in a Korg to do what it OUGHT to be able to do now...

I get what you are saying, James, but the future NOW, for arranger players, is still apparently a long way off.

Diki,

Don't you remember, James didn't buy the MS, he's smarter that the average bear is James!
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#296119 - 10/09/10 01:20 PM Re: OASYS + Mediastation = The Future Now
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Hughes:
Diki,

Don't you remember, James didn't buy the MS, he's smarter that the average bear is James!

Err, yes he did!!

#296120 - 10/09/10 01:23 PM Re: OASYS + Mediastation = The Future Now
Irishacts Offline

Hi Diki.

Quote:

Using your own logic here....

If I were to take that attitude then in your book I should feel robbed that I had to buy an OASYS as well as the Meidastation.

I really don't think you truly get anything I've just said above. It's almost like it's unacceptable to you to own more than one keyboard if you own a Meidastation.

Regards
James

#296121 - 10/09/10 01:26 PM Re: OASYS + Mediastation = The Future Now
Irishacts Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Hughes:
Diki,

Tony, comments like that don't help when they are not true.

How much I paid is not important either as I've written and given away for free a computer prgoarm for managing content and creating system files for Lionstracs products.

If Lionstracs were to hire me to do that work, it would have cost many times the price of a keyboard. I've done a lot more than that too, so I've paid in more ways than one.

Regards
James.

#296122 - 10/09/10 01:53 PM Re: OASYS + Mediastation = The Future Now
vagro Offline

Loc: Argentina
This won't probably matter to many experts here but I also want to say I'm extremely happy using my set up with a Psr s900, Korg pa500, TR 61, Roland Pk5 pedal plus the Mediastation altogether. The MS allowed me to keep adding high quality sounds and to link the different parts/channels of all my keyboards so easily. I' ve been able to play one orchestral VST simultaneusly from the three keyboards layering sounds from all the sound engines. That's incredibly beautiful.

Korg Pa3x 61 - Mediastation X76 - Yamaha Psr s900 - Korg Tr61 - Roland PK5A - NanoKontrol - Ensoniq SQ1 - Yamaha D85 organ

#296123 - 10/09/10 03:11 PM Re: OASYS + Mediastation = The Future Now
arranger_yes_pc_no Offline

I agree, the Open Labs keyboards are basically a lot of nothing.....I am interested in the Mediastation in the future but only once I will be certain that it fulfill my needs: I want it to do everything that my PSR 3000 does, out of the box.

Might seem ridicolous, but I am not so certain about that. I find the PSR3000 a great little keyboard for composing, so for now I'll use the PSR. Once I've got the midi file out of the PSR, I just transfer the file on my PC and substitute all the sound with Eastwest library (and these sounds just can't be beaten, although they are not strictly necessary to sound great)

I also don't want to buy more than one keyboard,....if it works for you , great, but really , the Liontracs should do it all....to use two keyboards at the same time is a bit overkill, and it's also not budget-effective.

But yes, if money were no objection, I'd probably go for a similar setup as yours or Vagro's....if it works, it works.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online