SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#296103 - 10/09/10 03:01 AM Should I Really Get A T4?
DannyUK Offline

Well this is my dilemma really.

I have been debating hard and I even found somewhere I can get one trading both my keyboards...BUT, now that it's come to the crunch, do I really need/want to?

After hearing all the demo's (when I was able to before they were set to private *rolls eyes*), the biggest difference that I've noticed *so far* is the fact that they have included those new vocal voices. I may get flamed for this, but I don't actually like them, they sound too old fashioned and also too overbearing, everything sounds like the 60's / 70's now! It sounds nice don't get me wrong, but would I use them? No...

The drums sound very similar so far, I've not heard a drum sample that makes me think it wasn't from Yamaha, so nothing new there for me to get too excited about either.

Also the other features such as MP3 doesn't interest me either as I wouldn't use that feature, the VH also I don't use because I am not a singer, I'm just a keyboard player.

The only thing I'd really want this keyboard for is the new styles and ambient sounds, oh and the blue lights!! That's all really... so would it be worth upgrading?? I'm really not so sure..

[This message has been edited by DannyUK (edited 10-09-2010).]

#296104 - 10/09/10 03:15 AM Re: Should I Really Get A T4?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Depends how much you like blue lights and the Beach Boys, I guess!

Best bet is, go play one. Take your current arranger, set it up next to it, play through the same speakers... Does the T4 make you go 'I GOTTA have this!'?

Then leave, come back a week later without your current arranger. Play the T4 again. STILL feel that way? If so, it might be time to change. If not, save your money for the T5. Should be out in about 18 months, at this rate!

#296105 - 10/09/10 03:46 AM Re: Should I Really Get A T4?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by DannyUK:

Also the other features such as MP3 doesn't interest me either as I wouldn't use that feature, the VH also I don't use because I am not a singer, I'm just a keyboard player.

The only thing I'd really want this keyboard for is the new styles and ambient sounds, oh and the blue lights!! That's all really... so would it be worth upgrading?? I'm really not so sure..

]

I understand your dilemma, Danny...I don't use MP3 or the Vocal Harmony* either.

If it doesn't knock me out when I play it, I'm going to stay with my PSR-S910, so you can get whatever you want out of that last statement.

Quite frankly, I liked the Tyros2 better than the Tyros3...it has a "sweeter" sound that I like, and the S910 is much more like the Tyros2 in terms of sound...it does, however, have the new style engine (as in the T3), which I also like.

Give the initial excitement, and forum frenzy, time to wear down a bit, and take your time...play a T4, if at all possible, before you decide anything.

Hope this helps,

Ian

*Actually, I do use the Vocal Harmony, but not for singing...I play my little analog monosynth, the Yamaha CS-01 through it and it gives it a pseudo polyphonic capability.

The new VH has "vocoder" capabilities...you can superimpose your voice characteristics and inflections on a sound.

#296106 - 10/09/10 03:55 AM Re: Should I Really Get A T4?
DannyUK Offline

Thank you both for replying, very helpful.

I suppose, from my point of view, owning a T3 already, does the T4 include enough styles / sounds / features that i'd use and found "missing" from the T3 to justify the upgrade?

From an existing T3 owner, I've not thus far seen anything *better* rather just *additional*, that's all. The T3 is already fantastic and I always thought it was going to be a tough ask for Yamaha to improve something that was already fantastic in the first place without actually completely changing the authenticity of the Tyros so that it wasn't a Tyros any longer.

I know what you're saying Diki, but I'm not sure there will be a T5, I think Yamaha *may* have taken the Tyros to it's limits now without drastically changing things, especially if going the Audya route is a possibility for the future?

#296107 - 10/09/10 04:41 AM Re: Should I Really Get A T4?
ianmcnll Offline

Danny, so far the few owners of a Tyros4 are very happy with the upgrade from a Tyros3, and most of these do not use the Vocal Harmonizer.

I'm looking at it from a gigging perspective, hence the preference for PSR, which I find perfect for my needs.

50 new styles, plus re-voiced older ones, plus the ability to use all the styles from your Tyros3 is a decent amount of styles, plus you have all the styles from the older series, like PSR-9000Pro which have been converted to work in Tyros, and are readily available on PSR Tutorial.

So, you're not really losing a Tyros3 in as much as you are gaining all it's features, plus the ones on the Tyros4.

Good luck with your decision, and take your time with it...let the frenzy and hype die down first.

Ian

#296108 - 10/09/10 05:21 AM Re: Should I Really Get A T4?
Beakybird Offline

I would go hear the keyboard in person.

Spec-wise, the T4 has a lot new besides the choir voices.

Everyone is disappointed in the new Piano because they can't tell the difference between it and the old piano.

The difference in the drums is more subtle. I think that there are kits that have improved samples (Listen to the brush kit demo) but like most Yamaha styles, the drums sit lower in the mix. I'd love to hear comparisons of the top of the line keyboards with drums soloed.

I've heard great things about some of the new guitar and horn voices.

I wouldn't upgrade just for the new styles as many of the new ones have the choir voices.

It boils down to style and right hand voices. You don't care about the harmonizer - the other major improvement.

Demo the keyboard next to yours, for sure.

Beakybird

#296109 - 10/09/10 05:38 AM Re: Should I Really Get A T4?
ianmcnll Offline

I feel the Tyros4 would be a much better upgrade for a Tyros2 owner, especially in regards to styles and sounds.

The T2 to T4 client could then download all the Tyros3 styles, and have quite a selection.

The increase in new sounds and features is is quite substantial coming from a Tyros2 to a Tyros4.

However, the T3 to T4 people I have heard from are very pleased with the upgrade.

I guess that doesn't help you much, Danny.

Ian

#296110 - 10/09/10 06:34 AM Re: Should I Really Get A T4?
DannyUK Offline

Ian, yeah sure it does help because as you quite rightly said a few posts ago that with the T4 you'd be getting everything of the T3 please the extras from the T4 so therefore I would also be happy if I chose to go forward with it, but I am just debating whether I can justify it at the moment. The checklist I made for myself in regards to what has the T4 got to offer for me as an existing T3 owner so far hasn't been conclusive yet. No doubt though, I would be happy. There is still a chance, I haven't ruled it out completely.

I think a T1 to a T4 would be a fantastic and a highly noticeable and significant upgrade more than the others.

#296111 - 10/09/10 07:32 AM Re: Should I Really Get A T4?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
My personal opinion based on the online demos
The Tyros 1 was good, but was outclassed by the Technics KN7000
The Tyros 2 was a ground breaking instrument for the home user, and while I was not enamoured with its CD quality sound, it really was a brilliant model from Yamaha.
The Tyros 3 had some great SA2 sounds but the rest of the sound system was like a compressed MP3 file, and for me basically was 1 step forward and 3 steps back for Yamaha. (The T2 and PSR910 (SA2 excepted) blowing it out of the water) It also had processing problems with some of the voice packs when playing a lot of notes. (T4s processing power has been significantly increased)
The Tyros 4 is to me a true replacement for the T2, and puts right everything that was wrong with T3, while at the same time giving you a hell of a lot more. (Sound quality is head and shoulders above T3)

For me the T3 is to Yamaha what Vista was to Microsoft, a good idea but ultimately very poorly implemented, and just like Yamaha, Microsoft poured a lot of money to bring forward the launch of Windows 7, and was what Vista should have been. (And so consequently is one of the bestselling Microsoft OS ever, whereas Vista was one of the worst)

Taking into account how few upgraded to T3 from T2 compared to those that upgraded from T1 to T2, (There was also a glut of T3 on eBay in the few months after its launch, compared to T2s after its launch) also speaks volumes as to how underwhelming T3 was.

Remember this is purely my PERSONAL opinion listening to the online demos, and talking to users and dealers over the years.

Bill

#296112 - 10/09/10 08:06 AM Re: Should I Really Get A T4?
DannyUK Offline

Thanks Bill, that is a very interesting view and of course you're not the only one that has suggested that the T2 sounded more sweeter / softer than the T3.

I have been very happy with the T3 that's because I am comparing it to the previous keyboard I used (PA1x), I still have this but I prefer the T3.

I assumed the T4 was the T3 with knobs on, however, now it's being suggested that the entire sound system is better which is a different kettle of fish, we are then talking about a completely new keyboard and not an upgrade.

I do need to hear it side by side really, that's the only option left unless I just buy it anyway.

#296113 - 10/09/10 12:07 PM Re: Should I Really Get A T4?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Anyone expecting the T4 to be the last Tyros is going to be very surprised when the next Tyros comes out. Given that a few new sounds, a few new styles, and a couple of OS changes and blue lights is enough to warrant a model change, well, Yamaha can mine THAT vein for decades!

Ian will point out that Yamaha arranger users don't WANT radical change (and anyone that says differently must be a tiny minority) and what they are doing is EXACTLY what you all want... So bring on the T1000. That should probably be the 'terminator' of the line!

Skynet rules! (Oops! Meant to say Yamaha! )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online