SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 13 of 34 < 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 33 34 >
Topic Options
#295886 - 10/17/10 10:42 AM Re: Would You Buy A Tyros 4 with 76 keys?.......
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by to the genesys:
Profit.
Exactly.
If Yamaha creates a product that gives more than the 61 key user needs (15 extra keys), but also gets the 76 users, more profit.

I'm sure you think you're right about that statement, but unless you come up with some actual hard numbers by polling here, and the Yamaha specific sites, to find out just how many would actually buy a 76 note Tyros or PSR, it just speculation..

Companies only respond to hard data, not theory.

Yes, it would be nice to see a 76 note PSR or Tyros, but it's hard to imagine Yamaha would stop making the very profitable TOTL/MOTL 61 note arrangers to make a 76, but, I suppose anything is possible as long as we are theorizing.

I believe cold hard data/facts would work much better.

Ian

#295887 - 10/17/10 10:46 AM Re: Would You Buy A Tyros 4 with 76 keys?.......
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
I'm sure you think you're right about that statement, but unless you come up with some actual hard numbers by polling here, and the Yamaha specific sites, to find out just how many would actually buy a 76 note Tyros or PSR, it just speculation..

Companies only respond to hard data, not theory.

Yes, it would be nice to see a 76 note PSR or Tyros, but it's hard to imagine Yamaha would stop making the very profitable TOTL/MOTL 61 note arrangers to make a 76, but, I suppose anything is possible as long as we are theorizing.

I believe cold hard data/facts would work much better.

Ian

Have not you been reading this thread?

------------------
TTG

#295888 - 10/17/10 10:53 AM Re: Would You Buy A Tyros 4 with 76 keys?.......
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Have not you been reading this thread?

Of course I have...where is the data?

All I see is speculating, and theorizing.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 10-17-2010).]

#295889 - 10/17/10 11:18 AM Re: Would You Buy A Tyros 4 with 76 keys?.......
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Of course I have...where is the data?

All I see is speculating, and theorizing.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 10-17-2010).]

If you have not been paying attention, there has been on this and other forums request for a good Yamaha 76 key arranger. Not to mention that Yamaha do make 76 key arrangers just not good ones. So the data is there.

I would like to see the data on having blue lights and XLRs.

------------------
TTG

#295890 - 10/17/10 11:32 AM Re: Would You Buy A Tyros 4 with 76 keys?.......
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:

If you have not been paying attention, there has been on this and other forums request for a good Yamaha 76 key arranger. Not to mention that Yamaha do make 76 key arrangers just not good ones. So the data is there.

Question:

How many people want a 76 note TOTL/MOTL Yamaha arranger?

The results of the poll taken here on SZ was that there were 36 or so who wanted 76 keys, but that covered ALL brands and not just Yamaha.

You'll need actual numbers if you want to impress the marketing people, not just several people on this forum speculating and theorizing why Yamaha does not make one, and why Yamaha should make one, which has been the bulk of this thread.

I'm all for them making a 76'er, but I think you'd need more hard information before anyone in marketing will pay attention.

Ian

#295891 - 10/17/10 11:34 AM Re: Would You Buy A Tyros 4 with 76 keys?.......
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
OK--ENOUGH! I would like everyone that insists that Yamaha come up with a 76-key TOTL arranger to take a deep breath and hold it. Keep holding, keep holding, and keep holding until Yamaha produces the ultimate keyboard that YOU WILL NEVER PURCHASE! Yep, that works.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#295892 - 10/17/10 11:56 AM Re: Would You Buy A Tyros 4 with 76 keys?.......
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Without considering the brand..I think there is a common difference in the player...not the number of keys itself..

If you are "only" an arranger player (and some easy fingering at that)..with a melody line or counter melody line..then yes 61 keys is even overkill (49 could work).. ).

But if you make "full" use of a keyboard that just happens to be an arranger (absolutely the best type of keyboard)..76 keys is a must..period..

Playing left hand chords in more than a root inversion, or playing left hand bass , with enough right hand range to "play" chords and lines without range restriction..(and turn the arranger , auto stuff off, once in a while)..
Using the great features of multi zone across the board (3 or more)..not enough room on a 61...

I know you guys have heard this before...and the guys (mostly) that are saying 61 is more than enough..are the strictly arranger players...missing out on the full potential of even the mid line boards...

We haven't even mentioned playing Piano and EP (again 76 a must)....oops ..maybe I did just mention it..

I do play both a 61 key arranger with the band...and a 76 arranger for my solo/duo work.....It is like night and day..76 rules over 61..

I had the same feeling when I used evenly matched boards like the E50 and E-60...76 keys just allow you to do much more in a natural playing manner..

The difference comes down to the player...

#295893 - 10/17/10 12:16 PM Re: Would You Buy A Tyros 4 with 76 keys?.......
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
I do play both a 61 key arranger with the band...and a 76 arranger for my solo/duo work.....It is like night and day..76 rules over 61..

The difference comes down to the player...

I suppose it could come down to that, but there are many here on SZ who are awesome players, and use 5 octaves all the time.

If you need 76 keys to play in arranger mode, that's cool...but, in your case, that means dragging around a big heavy instrument. Many of us would prefer a 25 lb five-octave instrument that sounds every bit as good, or better, in some cases.

If you like playing solo piano on 76 wimpy weighted keys, that's your preference...I like having 88 weighted hammer, as do most piano players.

As far as being "only an arranger player"...I fail to see how that relates to someone's ability or playing skills.

Would you call Martin Harris an average player? Peter Baartmans? Donny Pesce?

I've done some of my best recordings on a 5 octave instrument.

Ian

#295894 - 10/17/10 12:36 PM Re: Would You Buy A Tyros 4 with 76 keys?.......
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Come on Ian!!! You know exactly what I am saying..

I used the word "most" ..referring to "only" arranger players...I have heard many players playing simple technique...not a bad player , but simplicity method of playing...

And yes I can and prefer to play piano on my heavy keyboard with a great keybed ..

And trying to bring in known better players for my argument ..won't work..

When they are playing arranger..they indeed use it in a limited use, but maybe out of necessity with only 61 keys....and when was the last time you seen Donny play two handed piano on a 61 keys?...and no pedals..

Donny absolutely takes advantage of "arranger" play with chord left hand..and chording right hand to compliment his vocals....Do I think Donny takes full advantage of the features a 76 key board can give...Nope!!...He plays as meets his needs...but this doesn't mean that other "skilled" players prefer the same methods...

#295895 - 10/17/10 12:40 PM Re: Would You Buy A Tyros 4 with 76 keys?.......
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
I am hardly an apologist...just a messenger.I inquired of my Yamaha people about the reason they aren't making 76 TOTL note arranger.I posted the answer here on SZ.
Diki asked a Yamaha rep why they weren't making one, and he was given the same answer.
So far all he has posted here, are his own assumptions.
KingFrog asked a Yamaha rep the same question, and he received the same answer, and posted it here on SZ.

So, were we all told Yamaha's policy?

So far, it is all we have to go on, until someone has actual proof to the contrary.
Ian]

BTW Ian, I agreed with Diki as far as a 76 note PSR

Not the continual haranguing of Yamaha owners/demonstrators

Dennis

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 10-17-2010).]

Page 13 of 34 < 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 33 34 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online