SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#295712 - 10/07/10 09:58 AM I REFUSE To BUY a TYROS 4.............
Dnj Offline

until I get to see the releases of what KORG & ROLAND bring to the table so I can make a very educated comparison to the Tyros, & Audya.....I hope it's soon after Winter NAMM in January.......then & only then would I even consider a change, update, or additional Arranger KB.
I think it's the "SMART" move at this juncture, don't you?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-07-2010).]

#295713 - 10/07/10 10:08 AM Re: I REFUSE To BUY a TYROS 4.............
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Donny,
Yes,
Me too.
Lee S.

#295714 - 10/07/10 11:02 AM Re: I REFUSE To BUY a TYROS 4.............
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Well said Donny, "haste makes waste", as they say (whoever "they" are)..perhaps something from the other manufacturers will fill your needs much better than a Tyros4.

Good luck.

Ian

#295715 - 10/07/10 11:16 AM Re: I REFUSE To BUY a TYROS 4.............
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
However, by the time you have seen any answer to the T4 from Korg, and especially Roland , you will be asking, why not wait for the T5?! Especially as the product cycle seems to be getting shorter and shorter for Yamaha, it might only be a year or so before Yamaha roll out another one. They'll CERTAINLY roll out a new PSR in this window, and you are MUCH more likely to want that than a Tyros, anyway (you sure didn't feel the need to go to the T3 after you got your S910).

But the bottom line is, somebody is ALWAYS going to be 'just about' to release something in the near future (and 'near future' seems to be getting longer and longer if you go by most on this forum!) whenever you are about to make a purchasing decision. At some point or another, you simply have to pull the trigger, or you'll end up holding on to your arranger almost as long as me!

In your case, Donny, I would be waiting for the PSR's next MOTL offering... You've already tried every manufacturer (other than Wersi) and none of the new offerings are a radical departure from their older siblings. Whatever you hated about them is most likely still in the new version.

Wait for the new PSR... That's the REAL 'smart decision'!

#295716 - 10/07/10 04:03 PM Re: I REFUSE To BUY a TYROS 4.............
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
However, by the time you have seen any answer to the T4 from Korg, and especially Roland , you will be asking, why not wait for the T5?! Especially as the product cycle seems to be getting shorter and shorter for Yamaha, it might only be a year or so before Yamaha roll out another one. They'll CERTAINLY roll out a new PSR in this window, and you are MUCH more likely to want that than a Tyros, anyway (you sure didn't feel the need to go to the T3 after you got your S910).

But the bottom line is, somebody is ALWAYS going to be 'just about' to release something in the near future (and 'near future' seems to be getting longer and longer if you go by most on this forum!) whenever you are about to make a purchasing decision. At some point or another, you simply have to pull the trigger, or you'll end up holding on to your arranger almost as long as me!

In your case, Donny, I would be waiting for the PSR's next MOTL offering... You've already tried every manufacturer (other than Wersi) and none of the new offerings are a radical departure from their older siblings. Whatever you hated about them is most likely still in the new version.

Wait for the new PSR... That's the REAL 'smart decision'!

EXACTLY.

More than a decade ago, when I was working in a computer store, I was telling prospective customers looking to buy a PC, the very same thing:

"Yes, if you wait, sure there will be a better and cheaper PC for you to buy, but while you wait, you won't have any PC, will you?". Maybe 8 times out of ten, they saw the light, they got the PC they wanted right then, instead of waiting. And I strongly suspect that the other 2 who preferred to wait, never got one.

#295717 - 10/07/10 04:07 PM Re: I REFUSE To BUY a TYROS 4.............
Dnj Offline

Am I happy with what I currently use S910 on stage every day/night to make a living?..YES...Do I want to see Yamaha make some changes in future MOTL units,..YES......will those improvements be realized even though they would maybe be just for my needs as a performer and not for the masses?..Who Knows? At this time I know the Tyros line after having the T1,T2 is not for me not because of sound, but layout and not needed real estate issues...Korg Pa800 was to me although some really nice features like the Songbook, TC VH unit, Mp3 player, Backing track seq,...I still didnt like the antiquated PA Folder system for editing to many steps, and the key-bed response for me was a bit spongy and less then stellar, the S910 even though super lightweight has a better action that I have compensated my style of playing to accomaodate...Roland G70 excellent arranger in So many ways ...great VH, super key-bed, phenomenal editing capabilities, makeup tools, maybe a bit smaller all around, 10 lbs lighter, and add a Mp3 player and for me even with the 76 keys would be a super arranger for live performance..Sd1/Sd5/Midjay.....
I noticed playing them except for the RIFF mode on the SD5 pretty much the same sound/styles and OS, size & build was nice, SD5 Joy stick very funtional, Midjay was the most versatile UNIT with really kool features that I enjoyed thats you caould play all modes at the SIMUTANEOUSLY with seperat slider controls, but who wants to carry and hook up modules?...jury still out on the Audya 5 as I haven't played one yet, hoping to do that and A/B with T4 in a few weeks....So I remain with my trusty S910 and in no rush to move on....the Digitech VR also is my main VH unit when needed...meanwhile dig in to what you already have explore new things, try to create some styles from scratch,
re-assemble a few parts to make the style your own....and who know down the pike something might come along you can salivate over....

Have Fun....I know I am!!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-07-2010).]

#295718 - 10/07/10 04:31 PM Re: I REFUSE To BUY a TYROS 4.............
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
When you've already got an instrument that meets all of your needs, it's much easier to sit back and wait for something new.

The S910 meets my purposes as a basic arranger with the essential sounds I need..in fact, I'm still exploring the synth sounds taken from the Motif, with mod wheel controlled filter.

As been said here already, by several posters, we should strive to get the most out of the one we have.

Ian

#295719 - 10/07/10 05:29 PM Re: I REFUSE To BUY a TYROS 4.............
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
For the same reasons expressed by others on this thread, I'm still happy enough with my current Tyros2 so in no real hurry quite yet to upgrade either. That said, I'm also considering the possibility of downsizing to a lighter weight 61 note 'built in with speakers' type arr successor to the Korg PA800 or Yamaha S910 if/when it comes. In the meantime, I'm excited about checking out and auditioning the Tyros4 keyboard my local Bay Area buddy Bob recently purchased from Frankieve. I think he's receiving his later this month. - Scott

Scott Yee Entertainment

#295720 - 10/07/10 06:49 PM Re: I REFUSE To BUY a TYROS 4.............
Beakybird Offline

I refuse to buy a T4 ... because I don't have enough money and for no other reason.

However, I think that people who are in the market for a high end keyboard with 61 keys should at least hear a keyboard in person before making decisions.

I haven't heard from anyone who heard a T4 demoed in person who wasn't blown away.

Beakybird

#295721 - 10/07/10 07:21 PM Re: I REFUSE To BUY a TYROS 4.............
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Hey Donny,

A quick question about your experience with the MidJay. I still have one and use it in the studio. I agree that most of the styles are incredible. However, I did find it lacking in the swing and big band styles. How did you deal with that on the job? I know you play for older crowds so you have to be up to snuff with those kinds of styles.

Joe

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online