Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#295129 - 10/05/10 09:24 AM Re: Virgin 1 Organ
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Bachus:
Just stick to the facts... and my only fact is that i do not care for your opinion since it is clearly tainted.

End of discussion......

That's cool...and my facts are:

1.If you don't care for my opinion, that's your problem not mine.

2. Your opinions are clearly tainted as well...all icing (see above) and practically no cake.

End of discussion.

Ian

#295130 - 10/05/10 09:31 AM Re: Virgin 1 Organ
Dnj Offline

Not bad ....going south early today eh?......;eek:

#295131 - 10/05/10 09:43 AM Re: Virgin 1 Organ
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Not bad ....going south early today eh?......;eek:

Yes Donny, some people just have no couth.

Ian

#295132 - 10/05/10 10:12 AM Re: Virgin 1 Organ
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
My Ol Thomas Palace III had those buttons as did my 1987 Yamaha HS8-T (and almost all high end instruments).
Yes..they are important.

They are a simple thing to have on there...wander why they were omitted?

PS..Ian I wish you had the pull to get me a used Stagea for $10,000.:-)

Lee S.

#295133 - 10/05/10 10:24 AM Re: Virgin 1 Organ
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:

Lee S.

I wish I did too Lee...I know you're anxious to get one.

If I hear of anything, I'll let you know...that's all I can do.

The Stagea is a fine instrument...I had an HS-8 and an HX-1...both had those convenient presets between the manuals.

Ian

#295134 - 10/05/10 12:14 PM Re: Virgin 1 Organ
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Thing is, Ian, if you are content with two 61's, you STILL are basically ruling out playing full piano parts on it. Just exactly WHERE are you going to stick that 88 wood piano of yours to be able to use with this behemoth? Left side or right side? Because you sure as sh*t can't place on top or underneath...

Imagine the layout of the Stagea, but with the width of this thing. This thing is designed for KEYBOARD players, not just organ players (or it WOULD have the tried and tested 61 bottom manual), and as such, it needs to cover all the bases.

I guess I am starting to wonder if you simply don't LIKE playing full piano keyboard parts, because, with your preferences, you HAVE to cart two keyboards around to achieve it. Me, I prefer having the option without lugging an 88 around. Remember, I am not a pianist... I am a KEYBOARD PLAYER. So I am capable of getting a lifelike piano performance out of a 76 plastic keyboard. Is it as good as a wood 88? No... Is it as bad as a plastic 61? HELL NO...!

For a MODERN 'organist' that has moved beyond the limitations of old school organs, I would have thought the 76/61 layout would be just about perfect. Think beyond the arranger, and your world opens out drastically...

#295135 - 10/05/10 12:21 PM Re: Virgin 1 Organ
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Quote:
Originally posted by Bachus:
Back on topic..

Do you think that the wooden chasis, the bench and the pedals combined with drawbars, speakers and amplification are worth the extra 10k this instrument costs over the Groove ?

I think in many ways you have to look at it as an overall package, what it has to offer, and not just how much more you get over a standard Groove keyboard.

As an organ and with the features it has, how does the competition compare on all fronts including price. Does the competition even compare at all since this is a true open keyboard ?

Personally, I think when you look at Organs and the functions this Virgin 1 has, well it's by far a better investment in every way and it's also far more future proof than any other Organ.

Regards
James

#295136 - 10/05/10 12:25 PM Re: Virgin 1 Organ
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
For a MODERN 'organist' that has moved beyond the limitations of old school organs, I would have thought the 76/61 layout would be just about perfect. Think beyond the arranger, and your world opens out drastically...

Well, that's your preference, Diki...not mine.

It doesn't make it any more right than my preferences...just different.

I hate playing solo piano on 76 wimpy keys...88 weighted is a must; I'm probably more of a traditional player than you.

I don't mind taking a lightweight piano with me on the few gigs I need it...the P-85 is perfect, and I'm basically a very lazy guy, so it can't be that much of an issue now, can it?

You don't own a car, so transport is far more critical for you.

Ian

Later thoughts...I'd be easier to convince if the lower manual had 76 weighted keys, but, unfortunately, it would also make the instrument much heavier.

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 10-05-2010).]

#295137 - 10/05/10 12:27 PM Re: Virgin 1 Organ
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
?

Lee S.

I've sent out some feelers to my Yamaha buddies in Canada and USA...I'll be in touch if I get anything worth passing on.

Ian

#295138 - 10/05/10 12:33 PM Re: Virgin 1 Organ
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You have to, at some point, admit you are in the minority, Ian. I know it's YOUR preference, but it is definitely a minority viewpoint. Or there wouldn't be ANY 76's, whether arranger or WS.

It seems that many, many players are perfectly fine with playing piano parts on a plastic 76. And, given that they also like to play organ parts on the same keyboard, wouldn't choose a 76 fully weighted wood even if one were offered. Once you decide to use ONE keyboard, and decide you want it to be able to do EVERYTHING, a plastic 76 is almost your ONLY choice.

But if you are willing to be unable to do certain things at all (let alone badly! ), a 61 is the perfect choice, or maybe a wood 88. But the moment you decide to play outside the tiny arranger 'box', having more keys is a necessity, not a burden.

For YOU, it works great. But for everyone that has ever bought a Yamaha 76, let alone another brand, your decision is NOT the right one. Take your argument to a WS forum, and see how logical they think it is...

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online