Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#294943 - 09/29/10 02:54 PM Re: Roland. Yes - but E80 or G70
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Trust me, list price on those replacement parts, especially important ones like motherboards and displays is WAY more than the total cost of a used G70 at those sort of prices. I wouldn't be worrying too much, just make sure it's cherry to start with, if you can.

Since the G-70's keybed is only shared with a few other Roland products (if any), I'd be concerned about the availability of replacement key contacts/strips as well.

All it takes is a spill of soda pop, especially Coca-Cola, and key contacts are history...only goes to show, that not everything goes better with Coke.

You were wise to buy a back-up G-70.

Ian

#294944 - 09/29/10 03:00 PM Re: Roland. Yes - but E80 or G70
themutiny Offline

Look guys - I have to say:

In Europe(well UK), we seem to be a bit more tolerant??

I shouldn't have used such an inflammatory term.. I apologise, but at the same time I would defend myself by saying: 'That's not inflammatory here...."

Er.... - still drunk..

#294945 - 09/29/10 03:07 PM Re: Roland. Yes - but E80 or G70
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by themutiny:
Look guys - I have to say:

In Europe(well UK), we seem to be a bit more tolerant??

I shouldn't have used such an inflammatory term.. I apologise, but at the same time I would defend myself by saying: 'That's not inflammatory here...."

Er.... - still drunk..

Heck, Nick, here in Canada we've always believed in tolerance...

Fanboy is not inflammatory anywhere, as far as I know.

I just think of a fanboy, as being a person with a liking and enthusiasm for something, be it a keyboard, automobile, or whatever.

Fanboys can also be highly critical of their product choices, as in Diki's case with the G-70...on the other hand, if the product is already perfect for one's needs...

Ian

#294946 - 09/29/10 03:16 PM Re: Roland. Yes - but E80 or G70
themutiny Offline

Hey - thanks for that, Ian.

I really can't do the more 'combative' approach to these forums. I really do value the advice I might glean from this site.

My question is actually quite simple:

I love my DisCover5, but it is on it's last legs. Can anyone suggest a viable alternatrive??

Please?

Pretty please??

;-)

#294947 - 09/29/10 03:17 PM Re: Roland. Yes - but E80 or G70
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Diki & Fran - All your G70 cheerleading has made me boardsick for the ol' gal. It was, by far, the best arranger I've ever owned. Though I do miss it, I've come to accept and live with another great board, the s910 - a completely different animal, but good nonetheless.

#294948 - 09/29/10 03:30 PM Re: Roland. Yes - but E80 or G70
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Other than raw sound, to be honest I'd probably put the S910 as a 'better' PURE arranger than the G70, assuming one is going to put the styles in it that suit you best. OS-wise, it's got a LOT going for it... multiple drum channels, synchronized arranger and SMF play, multipads, break/fills, Mega guitars with guitar optimized NTT's, SA voices, the list goes on and on. In fact, the root cause of my campaign to get a 76 PSR910 is because I REALLY want one!

The fact that the G70 covers the SMF and live play bases better (and I can't GET a 76 910!) still makes it the better choice FOR ME, but I have NEVER simply dissed Yamaha's across the board, and really wished I got some brownie points for that once things get heated up! So much of what I say POSITIVE about Yamaha's gets forgotten completely once the 'red mist' comes down on ITS' 'fanboys' (apparently, we are ALL those, now ) in response to the slightest critique...

#294949 - 09/29/10 03:43 PM Re: Roland. Yes - but E80 or G70
themutiny Offline

Hey - express an opinion, and you're a FanBoy(tm)

Seriously, I have this G70 'opportunity'. Should I engage??\

#294950 - 09/29/10 03:49 PM Re: Roland. Yes - but E80 or G70
mc Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by themutiny:
Hey - thanks for that, Ian.

I really can't do the more 'combative' approach to these forums. I really do value the advice I might glean from this site.

My question is actually quite simple:

I love my DisCover5, but it is on it's last legs. Can anyone suggest a viable alternatrive??

Please?

Pretty please??

;-)

if your looking for just a module, especially a Roland the choices are limited and Roland there none.

Ketron would be the only choice for a module for midi playback and arranger playing.

If you really like the Rolands and need a keybed, I would stick with another Roland like G70 or E80. They are still very good keyboards.

#294951 - 09/29/10 04:03 PM Re: Roland. Yes - but E80 or G70
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
If you can inspect it before you buy it, and the seller doesn't have a lot of negative feedback on whatever site he's on, I'd say go for it! It's WAY less than what I paid for my (cherry) second G70...!

Sight unseen, seller unknown, no recourse if you are unsatisfied with its' condition, I'm not so sure... depends if you can afford to lose a few hundred quid or not.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online