SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#291552 - 08/24/10 08:00 AM Drumbeats and Lyrics
montana Offline

Loc: red lodge,mt,usa
Been away for a while so I hope this hasn't been discussed before. I need a way to list lyrics for songs and trigger the drumbeat for the song from the list. I also need a program to play the drum loop or midi file.

#291553 - 08/24/10 08:18 AM Re: Drumbeats and Lyrics
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
On most top of the line arrangers, it can easily be done using a Registration, or Program, depending on the terminology.
Audya, Tyros, S910, E80 (Version 2), and others will bring up text, style, tempo, sounds, transposition, and other custom settings at the touch of a button.
DonM

#291554 - 08/24/10 08:25 AM Re: Drumbeats and Lyrics
montana Offline

I would like to do this from a computer. I can list all my lyrics in WORD and use the Document Map to organize them but next I'd like to be able to trigger a midifile or drumloop for backup.

#291555 - 08/24/10 02:38 PM Re: Drumbeats and Lyrics
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
If you're going to use high-quality MIDI files and a laptop, Van Basco's MIDI/Karaoke Player would be the way to go, and fire it through your keyboard so you will be using the keyboard's sound engine.

Most TOTL keyboard also provide you with a lyrics function, one that reads .txt files. Those files can be placed in individual registrations, which will display alphabetically, or numerically, whichever you prefer. The same registration can also contain and access a MIDI file with, or without embedded lyrics.

You have lots of options with this,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#291556 - 08/24/10 02:48 PM Re: Drumbeats and Lyrics
montana Offline

But I want to use a laptop because I'm doing a dueling pianos gig. All are lyrics on in MS Word and I was wondering If I could trigger a midi file from Word like a hyperlink.

#291557 - 08/24/10 04:56 PM Re: Drumbeats and Lyrics
travlin'easy Offline

There's probably a way to do it, but it's beyond my computer expertise. I'm sure someone on the forum has the savvy to accomplish this, but for the life of me I just don't know who.

Good Luck,

Gary

#291558 - 08/24/10 05:28 PM Re: Drumbeats and Lyrics
montana Offline

To do a basic version is easy. We use MS Word for all our lyrics and chords. In MS Word you can have a document map it list all the songs you scroll down it find your song click on the title and it brings up the lyrics. Also in Word you can easily create a hyperlink so you can click on the title in the document and it triggers the midi drum file. So far real easy. Now the problem is when you link to the midifile it plays and the program that is playing the file has control of the computer you can have it minimised so its not blocking the lyric but if you have to scroll the lyrics you have to get control back to Word and if you want to stop the midi you got to get control back to the midi file. This wouldn't be a problem but we create long drum files so we can play the song as long as we want so we have to stop the files manually. So my problem right now is switching control of the two programs.

#291559 - 08/24/10 07:25 PM Re: Drumbeats and Lyrics
travlin'easy Offline

The most knowledgeable individual I know when I comes to MIDI files and PCs is Michael Bedesem. Michael posted this information www.psrtutorial.com this afternoon.

"In a typical application that achieves what you desire, the PSR is connected to the computer via USB and to the Speakers via the audio output. You make a change in the Midi setup of setting the instrument's control of the sound to Local Off; this means that the sound will only be generated when midi commands are received from the computer sequencer via USB. When the midi song is played using the sequencer, the program's Volume controls will serve as a mixer board (see the Console view offered by Cakewalks Home Studio product at http://www.cakewalk.com/products/homestudio/english/default.asp) .

One complication of using a PSR with a sequencer is that it is difficult to reproduce the Preset voices exactly. Changing the voice in the computer just selects the basic sample; any DSP or special voice adjustments are not selected. To make an accurate selection, you have to use another PC program called PSRUTI. While doable, it is an extra step and can be confusing ( e.g. a midi has 16 voice channels, but the PSR has only a few DSPs; you will need to make some compromises).

Operating a PSR controlled by a sequencer is a additional complication that should be seriously considered by anyone who is not familiar with the PSR, sequencers and how to make music using an arranger. There is no single instruction book, and if you choose a sequencer that is unknown by arranger players, it will be difficult to get specific help on forums like this one.

You may want to post your questions directly to Michael at that forum as well.

Good Luck,

Gary

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online