SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2899 - 10/18/03 09:37 PM Listen too this! You have to check it out!
Anonymous
Unregistered

As you may or may not know I now have a website dedicated to the ARP omni. I had found this site that had a MP3 of a recordeing of the ARP Omni from orginal flexi disk. So I listened to it and thought, that sounds really cool. So I copied the web address and added it to my website. But giveing Credit to the gentleman who recorded it to MP3. So stop by and listen to it for yourself.
http://www.carrionsound.com/arp/

Please stop by my website and tell me what you think.
http://arp-omni.tripod.com This is the link to my omni website.

#2900 - 10/18/03 09:41 PM Re: Listen too this! You have to check it out!
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Hey!
Good to "see" you again.

I checked out the Omni 2 and it was far from being in a good shape. I'll have to look for an ONMI on E-bay.
Later!

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 10-18-2003).]

#2901 - 10/18/03 10:00 PM Re: Listen too this! You have to check it out!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Ed,

There are two ARP omni's on ebay. One has seen better days physically but siad it still worked. The other is in good shape physically but is dead and being sold for parts.

You know? someone could buy both of them and make one good one. By useing the case from the dead onmi and using the working parts from the one that has a rough case. But that's if you are good with elcetronics.

The One in rough shape is $99.00 and the dead one is $4.99.

#2902 - 10/18/03 10:44 PM Re: Listen too this! You have to check it out!
3351 Offline

Well, with my current eyesite (like 5.5% of normal vision) I wouldn't be able to put the two broken ARPs together myself. And I can't think of any repairs guys, who would do it for less then a few hundred bucks (probably more). I'll probably wait 'till I come across an OMNI that's in a good shape. I can't say that I really need one at this point. Not enough space here. Especially with me getting a .com synth with QSS44 cabinet.

I finally fixed the screwed up VCF knob on my MINI, but then one of the top keys stopped triggering the envelope. Can't figure out why...must be that time of the month or something....

-ED-

#2903 - 10/19/03 06:38 AM Re: Listen too this! You have to check it out!
Anonymous
Unregistered

well it was just an idea. You know, I never thought I would see anyone else become interested in the Omni. Well keep looking you may get lucky. Speaking of Mini's that's an other synth that I would like to have, but those things are almost the same price as a .com.

#2904 - 10/19/03 07:31 AM Re: Listen too this! You have to check it out!
Anonymous
Unregistered

that one unit for 4.99? that gotta be worth a shot huh I mens geese skip one burger and you got a cool tinker toy...I'm gonna look and see if it's not too late
(besides, I don't eat meat anyway LOL)
Pete

#2905 - 10/19/03 08:30 AM Re: Listen too this! You have to check it out!
Anonymous
Unregistered

It looks salvageable to me. Here is the link to the auction, morph.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2566036257&category=29552

It's a mark 1 omni just like the one I have.

#2906 - 10/19/03 08:56 AM Re: Listen too this! You have to check it out!
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
I have been reading your posts and I checked out your site and listened to Arp Omni demo.

My question to you, what is the significance of the sounds of Arp Omni? Wouldn't a modern digital synth do more?

By the way, great job on your website.

#2907 - 10/19/03 11:41 AM Re: Listen too this! You have to check it out!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nothing really signifagent about the sounds of the arp omni. I just happen to like the simpliestity of it's sound. Most of the orchestral sounds in a modern digital synth are recorded sounds takeing from actual instruments. Although they are not 100% accurate in sounding like a real orchestral instrument, but a close apporximation. The Omni sounds are only recreated electronicly no samples were used in recreateing the sounds.

Also I have owned a number of digital synths over the years and only used maybe a 10th of there full capablities. The digital sounds have 1000's of sounds, less then half of which are ever actually used. With the omni you only have four presets plus the four synthesizer sounds. Plus not a lot of other crap that I really have no need for. That and the fact the omni is the only synth that I still have and still use.

Thanks for visting my website, I am glad you liked it.

#2908 - 10/19/03 04:01 PM Re: Listen too this! You have to check it out!
3351 Offline

Hi SK880user!
The significance of an ARP omni is mostly historical.
For me the sound of an Omni associates with a lot of classic (not classical) electronic music and even artists like David Bowie and Gary Newman.

To emulate a string synth with currently available digital synthesizers is tough. For many reasons.
The way the envelopes work for example. I have not yet found a digital synth that can do a classic Tangerine Dream string synth swell that builds up and suddenly the notes jump in with the fast attack. And of coarse the distinctive noisy and fat chorus/phaser effect.
Over the years I've tried sampling, modeling, and re-synthesizing string synthesizer sounds. I've got close, but it took more effort to do all that then to just simply play a real string synth. And being a keyboard player it's always a pleasure to play something that's fully polyphonic.

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 10-19-2003).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online