SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#287458 - 05/14/10 02:17 PM Re: Why do you play...?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
To feed my EGO ... the HAM in me will not let me stop ...

Seriously, I have come to the realization that God gave me a talent - at whatever level it may be - to share with others and hopefully bring a few moments of joy to them ...
The MONEY ?!? ... I have always said I get PAID to cart my gear in and set it up, and to break it down and cart it out ... the PLAYING I do for FREE !!!
t.

I couldn't have said it better myself, t

#287459 - 05/14/10 02:19 PM Re: Why do you play...?
cassp Offline

And Bill, your comments are spot on for me too.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
I play because I only have so long in this life and I'm lucky/blessed enough to have a skill and a passion for music. I don't want to waste this time doing something else that doesn't touch me like performing does.

When I am performing, I am entertaining myself as much as anyone else in the room. Its very cool to see how whatever emotion I put into a song travels to everyone else in the room and we share the experience. Its why I prefer nursing homes/retirement communities to clubs.

If I could play in the NHL, I'd like to do that...since that's NEVER gonna happen, I'll stick with my music till I can't do it anymore...

#287460 - 05/14/10 02:25 PM Re: Why do you play...?
cassp Offline

Really now, yesterday a had a man with an amputated leg sitting right in front of me. He sat most the hour without a single facial movement. But near the end of my performance I played "Have I Told You Lately" and "Have I Told You Lately" I saw him mouthing the words and a tear was in his eye. Then I did an unexpected encore and played "It's Five O'Clock Somewhere" He was just beaming. As soon as I stopped playing he wheeled himself up to my keyboard and said, "You come back at 5 o'clock, OK." Then he gave me a big smile and a head shake of approval.

THAT IS WHY I PLAY!

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 05-14-2010).]

#287461 - 05/14/10 02:55 PM Re: Why do you play...?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Overall a feeling of satisfaction and escape from all the BS that goes on in the world. Today music is my drink of choice, there's no substitute for it.

Cass I share your thoughts on the NH circuit. Lots of smiles come on faces of those who are confined to a wheel chair or even those who are wheeled into a room in a hospital bed. Some can't move much but what I see in their eyes is very moving.

#287462 - 05/23/10 11:12 AM Re: Why do you play...?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Easy choice for me - God gave me a talent and asked me to use it wisely. I really never had a choice - MUSIC chose me, and there are not enough hours in a day to get it all in. Even now, teaching kids during the day - I'm using the music skills I've mastered during my playing years ... I perform regularly with the kids and I love it. Last night one of my seniors came out to see me at a little Italian place I do and she sat in ... just like an adult. I remember sitting in with older guys when I was in high school - best on the job training you can ask for! I'm so proud that I can share this gift with others, and what I get back is at least 100 times what I put out.

#287463 - 05/23/10 04:30 PM Re: Why do you play...?
Caragabal Offline

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia
I am an amateur and am a singer and have not taken money for performance during my 76 years.

I muck around with the keyboard because I love the thrill of changing those dots in a sheet of music to a melody and there is a good chance that I will never play in public

I did not take basic lessons untill about 15 years ago as there was always something in the road.

I have sung in choirs and the biggest thrill was when I sang in the Tasmanian Conservatoriun Choir performing the Messiah with the Tasmanian Synphony Orchestra.

I enjoy the physical and mental experience of singing as well as the the pleasure it gives to others.

Cousin Ken

#287464 - 05/25/10 12:12 AM Re: Why do you play...?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Caragabal:
I have sung in choirs and the biggest thrill was when I sang in the Tasmanian Conservatoriun Choir performing the Messiah with the Tasmanian Synphony Orchestra.

Cousin Ken

Tasmania is such a beautiful place. Years ago when I was young I remember taking the Princess Of Tasmania boat trip across Bass Strait from Melbourne and doing the drive from Devenport to Hobart and back. What an awesome countryside it is.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 05-25-2010).]

#287465 - 05/25/10 03:30 PM Re: Why do you play...?
Caragabal Offline

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia
Did you find any two headed Tasmanians Nigel?

And did you go to the top of Mount Wellington?

It is a wonderfull view from there

Cousin Ken

#287466 - 05/26/10 03:50 AM Re: Why do you play...?
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Putting aside the performance part of playing –

Have you ever played a soft ballad and given it all you had and felt an emotion that you could not buy. Or played a great up-tempo and as you stood up you felt like $1,000,000?

John C.

#287467 - 05/26/10 08:04 AM Re: Why do you play...?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Well said, John. Absolutely!

Russ

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online