SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#287438 - 05/12/10 04:15 PM Re: Why do you play...?
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Yep, couldn't agree more. I just love to do it. LOL, AND we get paid for it..

I forget who said it but ...."when you are employed at a task you love, you will never work a day in your life"... is as true now as when it was first said.

Dennis

PS: Nice thread Russ

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 05-12-2010).]

#287439 - 05/12/10 04:36 PM Re: Why do you play...?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Like so many others here, I do it because I enjoy the positive response I get from the people I play to.

I like variety. I am not a big band guy, but I play some big band. I am not a blues guy, but I play some blues....same with just about every genre of music except rap and hip hop.

There was a time it became less than fun...and that was when I was doing 6 nights a week for a year in a fine dining restaurant. The same ol' same ol' got to me and management kept me reigned in.

Now the fraternals, military groups, homeowner associations, private parties, assisted living and nursing homes provide a variety of places to do a variety of music and test my entertainment skills.

I also enjoy going out seeing other guys doing what they enjoy most...or maybe, 2nd most.

Eddie

#287440 - 05/12/10 06:45 PM Re: Why do you play...?
vagro Offline

Loc: Argentina
I love taking control of a full orchestra and leading it wherever I want, creating spontaneous melodies, feeling inside a whole band of musicians.

Easy question, complicated answer...

Korg Pa3x 61 - Mediastation X76 - Yamaha Psr s900 - Korg Tr61 - Roland PK5A - NanoKontrol - Ensoniq SQ1 - Yamaha D85 organ

#287441 - 05/12/10 07:18 PM Re: Why do you play...?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I like to sleep late and play golf or fish all day. Music is fun and has kept me from having a "real" job for about 35 years.
DonM

#287442 - 05/12/10 08:17 PM Re: Why do you play...?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:

Unlike Russ, I no longer enjoy playing in a group--been there, done that, got the Tee Shirt. It was fun, but I have a lot more fun using MY creativity and not having to worry whether the other guys like the song, or if they'll even show up for the performance on time. For ME, the OMB scenario is the top of the heap. It doesn't get any better than this.

Gary

AMAZINGLY, when I was with the band we never worried about stuff like that ... it was like we were 5 guys with one mind ... I LOVE the freedom being a OMB gives me, but man, I MISS working - no make that PLAYING - with my friends ...
t.

PS... It's funny how we say we go to a party every time we play and get PAID for it ... reminds me of a story that happened to a friend of mine ... He got this gig through the union - a wedding of the daughter of a 'reputed' mob guy ... they go, play the gig, have some food, a drink or two, the guests are happy, and at the end of the night, this friend of mine goes to the father of the bride and says he would like to get paid for the gig ... the father says "You came into MY house, you ate MY food, you drank MY liquor, and now you want to get PAID?!?!?" ... my friend, being a somewhat intelligent guy, said good night to the fotb and let the union settle the matter ... he DID get paid ...
t.

#287443 - 05/12/10 08:49 PM Re: Why do you play...?
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
I play because I have to. Not for the money, or anything like that, but because that is what I was put here on earth to do. I've been lucky over the years. I've made some good investments and I have some great rental property as well as some serious plans for retirement.

However, as long as I am healthy, I will never fully retire. I am enjoying the work I am doing too much for that. It is still amazing to this day to get paid for what you love to do and what you would do even if you weren't getting paid. I have a lot to be thankful for. Rock on!

Joe

#287444 - 05/12/10 11:24 PM Re: Why do you play...?
Bachus Offline

I play music solely as a hobby to releive stress from my worrying day job.

I work 60 hours a week and my free time i spend either on my Mountainbike or playing music.

I have played a few bands in the past, but i get stressed when i need to play before an audience... So i decided never to do that again and just enjoy making music for my own enjoyment and playing around with my instruments. It keeps me a happy and content person.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#287445 - 05/13/10 12:11 PM Re: Why do you play...?
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
I play because there is nothing else I'm better at. I don't have another skill set that I'm equally qualified to do. Of course, the fact that I absolutely love it has something to do with it. I played a gig last night with the current steel player for the Opry house band, and the current fiddle player with George Jones. They each got the same $74 I got. That's one of the things I love about Nashville; absolutely Ace players are accessible. I mean, I used to think the Opry band was made up of untouchables. There are lots less fun ways to make a living than the way I've chosen.

#287446 - 05/13/10 01:07 PM Re: Why do you play...?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by FAEbGBD:
I play because there is nothing else I'm better at. I don't have another skill set that I'm equally qualified to do. Of course, the fact that I absolutely love it has something to do with it. I played a gig last night with the current steel player for the Opry house band, and the current fiddle player with George Jones. They each got the same $74 I got. That's one of the things I love about Nashville; absolutely Ace players are accessible. I mean, I used to think the Opry band was made up of untouchables. There are lots less fun ways to make a living than the way I've chosen.

Rory, what does your SZ handle refer to..?

besides being a bi tonal chord..F7 and a Gmaj...or a F, flat 5th,7,9,12,13

or a more logical..F 7,9,11,#13..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 05-13-2010).]

#287447 - 05/13/10 02:05 PM Re: Why do you play...?
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
It's a lousy nickname I know. But, I created it back in 2000 when I first got online. Yeah, I'm only 32, but I was late joining the online craze which now is a way of life. Anyway, it's just an F 7 sharp 11 13 chord. I like the sound of sharp 11 chords. Just never bothered changing my user name to something more memorable or accessible.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online