SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#286240 - 04/21/10 01:28 PM What do you think?...good coupling with the S910?
Dnj Offline

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvShmhN6V9M&feature=related

best of both worlds !....and talk about live drums! This would be for recording in the studio and couple them using styles , arppegios, sounds all together somehow....

oh yeah!.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_Jxzl3Qv00&feature=related

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 04-21-2010).]

#286241 - 04/21/10 01:56 PM Re: What do you think?...good coupling with the S910?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
NEAT! Way too big for me to haul around, but in a studio setting it would be a tremendous asset.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#286242 - 04/21/10 02:10 PM Re: What do you think?...good coupling with the S910?
Bachus Offline

WHy would anyone want to use 2 yamaha instruments on stage?

And i think you're better off with a Motif XS... isn't this not just a wattered down Motif?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#286243 - 04/21/10 02:15 PM Re: What do you think?...good coupling with the S910?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
NEAT! Way too big for me to haul around, but in a studio setting it would be a tremendous asset.

Gary

Thanks Gary....my intentions were to keep it here in the studio for recording backing tracks for performance...not take it out everyday.

#286244 - 04/21/10 02:20 PM Re: What do you think?...good coupling with the S910?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bachus:
WHy would anyone want to use 2 yamaha instruments on stage?

And i think you're better off with a Motif XS... isn't this not just a wattered down Motif?

I should of explained better .....I just need it to record backing tracks not to gig with.....but the more I think about it....I think I'll wait to see what Yamaha has up next. Just wanted some opinions from people here withouit this getting hijacked.

Thanx

#286245 - 04/21/10 02:56 PM Re: What do you think?...good coupling with the S910?
miden Offline

Loc: The World
They have been available for coming up to two years now!!

Took you a while to find it Donny LOL...(just kidding!!)

Anyhoo, what would you like to know Donny? I owned one up til a month or so ago...

Dennis

#286246 - 04/21/10 04:11 PM Re: What do you think?...good coupling with the S910?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
They have been available for coming up to two years now!!

Took you a while to find it Donny LOL...(just kidding!!)

Anyhoo, what would you like to know Donny? I owned one up til a month or so ago...

Dennis

Hi Dennis...yes I know it was sought of old now but what intrigued me was the ease of navagation and excellent sound....I really don't need another KB right now besides my trusty S910.....but when you have nothing to do sometimes you start to wander around the Internet and look at gear ....but before long like a Cocaine high it dissipates and your back to reality realizing you DON'T need any of this

btw what did you like or dislike about the unit when you had it?

#286247 - 04/21/10 06:53 PM Re: What do you think?...good coupling with the S910?
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
I really don't need another KB right now besides my trusty S910.....but when you have nothing to do sometimes you start to wander around the Internet and look at gear ....but before long like a Cocaine high it dissipates and your back to reality realizing you DON'T need any of this

btw what did you like or dislike about the unit when you had it?

LOL, yes I know EXACTLY what you mean, I do it myself, TOO often

The S70xs I had and the keybed was excellent, a really good balance between weighted keys and speed and a real pleasure to play.

The sound is totally unbelievable, superb and the best bread and butter sounds going, even better than the T3, of which it has several mega patches on board, linked to factory arps.

Navigation was not the on-stage "snap" that Yamaha's marketing would ahve you believe, although it was not too bad.

Midi file navigation and song play is very awkward and non-intuitive.

Simply laoding a midi file from a stick required about 3 menu pages, a process you had to repeat to play any subsequent files.

Yes a play list can be set up, but again it ws not very user friendly. Absolutely NOTHING like the ease of the PSR series, or the Korg PA series. So the use of an external laptop is still required if you want to do ad hoc shows.

Forget trying to do one-off requests, it takes far too long to load up one individual file and to THEN return to the pre-set playlist.

The arps are good, although they changed the flashing system from the Motif series, so that it flashed continuously no matter whihc arp is selected. (on the motif the arp being used had a fixed LED, and when you selected another it would flash until it was engaged.

There are some (not many) with an ending arp, a new innovation not found on the Motif series, which work okay, but as with the motif series the arps are very time consuming to locate and implement.

And remember the S series does NOT have a recording sequencer, so you cannot construct your own ending or intro arps. This would have been very handy for constructin simple intros, and "one-shot" endings.

All Yamaha say about this is "if you want to edit arps, buy a motif..." and as far as I can tell haev no intention of even including this in the PC Editor they provide. So if you want the feel and "Live" aspects of the S70, well, tough, according to them, you need to spend another $3k on buying a superfluos keyboard JUST to make a couple of dozen arps.... Or find a very generous Motif XS owner who is willing to do them for you...

In fact, not being able to create my own arps was the main reason for ditching it. Had that been possible, I could have seriously used it for arranger type play. Especially as on all the arragners I have owned I stripped all the styles I used down to 4 parts .

It is , in my view, a "pre-set" machine, in that you need to forsee what the gig is to be and then set it up BEFORE you go. Very difficult on stage to change a great deal, or edit something easily and speedily "on the fly" as it were.

Again, another Yamaha product that is "NEARLY there" as far as a complete solution, but not quite. Deliberate??? I cannot say as I don't work for Yamaha, but it sure seems that way.

I could not see why they could not include a simple arp editor within the (provided) PC S70/90 XS Editor.

I even made suggestions that owners could PAY for such a software upgrade, but this was met with stony cold silence

Sorry if thats a bit general. But if you have more specific questions you need answered, shoot

Overall, awesome sounding keyboard, great keybed action, but the rest "needs work" in my view.

Dennis

#286248 - 04/21/10 07:25 PM Re: What do you think?...good coupling with the S910?
Dnj Offline

Dennis ....thanx so much for the review...
so now we know the truth. That is really a bummer on the navigation which is one of my pet peeves for sure on any KB...great sound but less then the perfect "STAGE" unit...
I'm just gonna wait for the next wave of arrangers and see what turns up...meanwhile the S910 is doing a fantastic job for me.

D.

#286249 - 04/22/10 10:55 AM Re: What do you think?...good coupling with the S910?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
In the studio, speedy navigation isn't really the issue that it is live... bottom line is sound, pure and simple. I think Dennis is correct, you are robbing yourself going for this when you can get a MoXS with far greater capabilities for little, if anything extra (look for a nice used one).

But be prepared for a STEEP learning curve. I honestly felt the MoXS was one of the LEAST intuitive keyboards I ever played, took me quite a while to even get splits and layers down...

To be honest, Donny, for the studio, I would take more of a look at a computer/VSTi rig. Better quality sounds (yes, even better than this!) and deeper capabilities...

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online