SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 12 of 27 < 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 26 27 >
Topic Options
#285689 - 04/26/10 07:23 AM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Irishacts:

As an arranger, we are not there yet. So far I would hope that people would accept that it has been demonstrated that it has all the abilities needed, and that the sound can sound like any typical arranger keyboard. So for function and ability there is no issue.

What remains is to now demonstrate it surpassing all that in a big way that's seriously noticeable.

There will be no A & B example uploaded. Not by mean anyway. I'm not interested in comparing the sounds off a closed keyboard to huge giga files. I would think anyone even half deaf would be easily able to tell the difference when listening to the style.

]

It is great that you are unraveling and demystifying much of what was misunderstood about the Mediastation.

The claim that was touted most often, was that the Mediastation could take a style from another high end arranger, at that time it was the Tyros2, and by subbing in the incredible VST (and GM) sounds of the MS into a T2 style, the result would be much better than the original.

I think you should put up the original style, and the Mediastation's "improved" version...lots of people have T2's here, or even an S910 could suffice.

Maybe you don't need to hear them compared, but I'm sure many here would like to A/B them..remember, this claim has been going on for quite some time, and it has never been substantiated.

If you're going to set the record straight, you may as well do it properly, so there is no doubt.

Ian

#285690 - 04/26/10 07:47 AM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
The claim that was touted most often, was that the Mediastation could take a style from another high end arranger, at that time it was the Tyros2, and by subbing in the incredible VST (and GM) sounds of the MS into a T2 style, the result would be much better than the original.

I think you should put up the original style, and the Mediastation's "improved" version...lots of people have T2's here, or even an S910 could suffice.

Maybe you don't need to hear them compared, but I'm sure many here would like to A/B them..remember, this claim has been going on for quite some time, and it has never been substantiated.

If you're going to set the record straight, you may as well do it properly, so there is no doubt.

Ian

Ian that would certainly answer alot of questions for arranger players thinking of purchasing a MS unit.....lets see if this can be done.

#285691 - 04/26/10 08:10 AM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
Bachus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Why drive a Stick Shift..........
When you can drive an Automatic?

Because you want to be in controll...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#285692 - 04/26/10 08:19 AM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bachus:
Because you want to be in controll...

Many players have no desire to go through all the editing possibilities nor do they have the slightest knowledge of doing it...instead they would like top just but a quality KB and just make good music in an easy way.... it;s funny how some of the se manufacturers leave out the most important part and teaching the potention buyers or end user HOW THESE THINGS WORK....whats it all about...and provide serious ALL LEVEL instructional DVDs that can show people how to use the product before it becomes extinct. Weve been asking just to see a simple style revoiceing comparison that seems to be a federal case....what gives?

BTW I've been more then in control of my music for the last 40 years with out all the mumbo jumbo .....no need for s stick shift

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 04-26-2010).]

#285693 - 04/26/10 08:26 AM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Ian
You’re still missing the point, so I will try a different direction.

We take a Yamaha 8 beat style from the S910, we then ask 10 S910 users to make it sound better than the original, (On their S910) after a short length of time each comes back with their personal version.
You now have 10 different 8 beat styles, so how do you define which one is better than the original? (Remember the factory styles are designed by Pro style makers)

The same applies to the MS.
Get 10 users of the MS, and the same Yamaha 8 beat style, then ask them to edit it to sound better than the original, and what you will get back are 10 different versions.
How do you define whether they are better or not?

Hopefully the above will emphasize the difficulty in conversion of styles, into a version that is better than the original. (It’s just subjective)

To look it another way, how do you define what is better, when even 10 users of the same closed keyboard can’t even agree.

Regards

Bill

#285694 - 04/26/10 08:33 AM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi DNJ
Like I keep saying, the customers you are talking about are better off with a closed keyboard; however those that want to do their own thing will be better off with an open keyboard.
It’s as simple as that.
Regards

Bill

BTW: if you look at cars sold globally, you will find that Automatics are in the minority.

#285695 - 04/26/10 08:35 AM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi Bill.

It's the same note data in all cases so better can only ever be the once that uses more realistic sounds.

Sort of like playing a midi file back on your PC using it's GM table VS playing it back on your keyboard. It's all the same data but the keybaord will just sound better because it has better sounds.

Regards
James

#285696 - 04/26/10 08:40 AM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
BTW: if you look at cars sold globally, you will find that Automatics are in the minority.

Lolllzzz...not if you ask Americans...they still claim Basseball is a bigger sport then Soccer (Football)
and ONLY in America you see people playing FOOTball by HAND...LOLZ!

#285697 - 04/26/10 08:41 AM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
Dnj Offline

Bill.....I guess its a matter of choice......then again who is to say what sounds good or not when personal opinions are so egotistically driven.......I support choices in all it's glory all I am saying give the layman a better chance to understand by the manufacturer providing Quality Instructional DVDs so they may learn how to correctly use the product and enjoy it, or possibly be a catalyst for a purchase.

BTW... what type of instructional services are provided with the MediStation besides the manual and you Tube?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 04-26-2010).]

#285698 - 04/26/10 08:54 AM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Hi Ian
You’re still missing the point, so I will try a different direction.

The same applies to the MS.
Get 10 users of the MS, and the same Yamaha 8 beat style, then ask them to edit it to sound better than the original, and what you will get back are 10 different versions.
How do you define whether they are better or not?

Hopefully the above will emphasize the difficulty in conversion of styles, into a version that is better than the original. (It’s just subjective)

The idea is to take a Tyros2/S910 style, and load it in the Mediastation, then re voice each Yamaha style track with an equivalent voice from the Mediastation.

We aren't talking about swapping style parts around in either case...we are talking about using the same style patterns and plugging in the relevant (or equivalent and supposedly better) voices in the Mediastation in place of the same type sounds in the Tyros2/S910.

If the Yamaha style has an acoustic nylon guitar in the style's chord track 1, then the Mediastation should be subbing one of it's acoustic nylon guitars in the same track using the same pattern.

If the Yamaha style is using a strings patch for the pad track, then the Mediastation must use one of it's string patches.

It must do this for all parts (variations), including the Intros and Endings, as well as the fills.

I'm not missing the point at all...I'm very clear on what the Mediastation should be doing...it's exactly what was claimed it could do, so let's see if it can.

I'm also quite interested in how long it will take to make the conversion.

Ian

BTW...the style played in the Mediastation should be able to read all the chords the Yamaha will play, including inversions.

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 04-26-2010).]

Page 12 of 27 < 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 26 27 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online