SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#285569 - 04/14/10 02:44 PM Stupid question re: HarmonyM & S910
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I guess I could just try this and find out myself, but...

does anyone know if one can plug a unit like the HarmonyM into the mic slot of a keyboard like the Yamaha s910 and have it work properly? I'm thinking it might work, but then again who knows for sure? If it does work, are there any drawbacks to doing so? What do I have to be careful of?

Having a Bose Compact makes it impractical to use the HarmomyM separately unless I get a special cord to go into the 3-prong mic jack in the Compact. So, that would be another question - have you seen that type of cord around? It's kind of a lazy day, so I thought I'd ask a couple of lazy questions...

Would a cable like this work? http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=241-5392

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 04-14-2010).]

#285570 - 04/14/10 02:58 PM Re: Stupid question re: HarmonyM & S910
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Cass, as the saying goes there are no stupid questions, just the one's that aren't asked. Sorry I heard that saying so many times in school thru the years.

Sometimes I use the Harmony M with my s910, I take the output of it mono (L) and run it into the mic input of the keyboard. You have to set the slider switch to line in, can't leave it on the mic setting. Works without any problems. That set up is based on some instructions Gary D posted at one of the forums recently.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 04-14-2010).]

#285571 - 04/14/10 03:11 PM Re: Stupid question re: HarmonyM & S910
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Steve, what settings do you use on the S910's input gain?

Any others on the S910 we'd need to know?

Ian

#285572 - 04/14/10 05:15 PM Re: Stupid question re: HarmonyM & S910
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Cass - Use the Harmony unit direct from your mic to the KB input, but watch the gain structure ... avid too much gain, and use the yamaha compressor - it'll save the circuitry. The XLR on the Bose compact is a teeny bit noisy for my taste, but you can use all three inputs in the other channel at the same time.

For me - the best scenario is always to have the vocals monitored from the KB speakers in my face, so I'd give that a try first. Yamaha harmonizers have always disappointed me, so I support your choice of the TC unit and I think you'll be happy with the result - just start at zero mic input gain and work your way up slowly .... you'll get a sound that you like!
d

#285573 - 04/14/10 07:26 PM Re: Stupid question re: HarmonyM & S910
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
What U.D. said.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online