SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#285137 - 04/08/10 07:30 AM Quad Speakers as Studio Monitors for T3?
Joesax Offline

Loc: Southern New Jersey
I am in the process of planning a new small project studio. Currently my monitors are the Yamaha MSP5s but they are too bright and I want to replace them. One alternative is to upgrade to the Adam A7 and the Adam Sub 7. I've auditioned these and like the sound. However one other alternative is to use my QUAD 22L speakers and QUAD 909 amplifier. This combo sounds very good and the 22Ls have an almost dead flat response between 100hz and 10khz. They are 2db down at 12khz and with a gentle roll off from there. Below 100hz they go down to about -3db at 40Hz and -6db at 30hz. So I don't need a sub.

Power handling for these speakers is a min of 50 watts and a max of 300 watts. The 909 amp is rated at 140w-240w per channel

My question: Is there any technical reason why I should not use this combo for monitoring? Some have told me they are not made for that purpose and that I will end up damaging the tweeter or bass unit subjecting it to prolonged bass and drum sounds and that I should use only "studio Monitors".

Thanks,

[This message has been edited by Joesax (edited 04-08-2010).]

[This message has been edited by Joesax (edited 04-08-2010).]
Tyros 3, Motif XF6, Quad Amp/Pre-Amp/DAC, Quad Monitors, Tascam Digital Recorder

#285138 - 04/08/10 08:02 AM Re: Quad Speakers as Studio Monitors for T3?
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Quad is quality gear so I don't see why this should be a problem, especially driving them from a Quad amp as well. I'd do it!

#285139 - 04/08/10 10:51 AM Re: Quad Speakers as Studio Monitors for T3?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
High end audio equipment (As opposed to so called HI-Fi equipment) of which Quad is one of many, are designed to reproduce as accurately as possible how the original recording sounds, (Warts and all) however they are designed for normal houses not stage work, therefore cannot produce the volume levels needed for a stage.
If you remember this, then yes, they will be superb monitors for your studio.
Hope this helps

Bill

#285140 - 04/08/10 12:31 PM Re: Quad Speakers as Studio Monitors for T3?
Joesax Offline

Thanks.
Yes, I do not intend to use them for live events. Just for monitoring my playing and arranging in the small studio.

Joe
Tyros 3, Motif XF6, Quad Amp/Pre-Amp/DAC, Quad Monitors, Tascam Digital Recorder

#285141 - 04/08/10 05:51 PM Re: Quad Speakers as Studio Monitors for T3?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I'd use them cautiously, and gradually bring up the volume until either it distorts, or your ears bleed! If it distorts first, mark down that spot on the dial and NEVER go past it...

Watch out for overemphasizing the bass, though. What with multi-band compressors and EQ on the final output of the Tyros, it is easy to shove out too much bass (in an effort to compensate for some bass light speakers, perhaps). Try to run a CD flat into the system, play something well balanced (my favorite is always the old Nightfly album by Donald Fagen, a superbly mixed work of art), then play the Tyros straight afterward. Balance it's EQ and compressor so you have a similar sound balance, and you should be good to go...

#285142 - 04/09/10 10:38 AM Re: Quad Speakers as Studio Monitors for T3?
Joesax Offline

Diki:

Thanks. I will try that approach.

Joe

#285143 - 04/15/10 05:15 AM Re: Quad Speakers as Studio Monitors for T3?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
As stated above the Quad Speakers are for reproducing Hi-Fi quality domestic accurate Hi-Fi sound and not ideal for PA use> In fact these can be (expensively damaged) if used in a PA enviroment. It's A NO NO.

#285144 - 04/15/10 11:02 AM Re: Quad Speakers as Studio Monitors for T3?
Joesax Offline

Graham:

I do not intend to use the Quads as PA speakers.They will be in my 13' x 12' studio room where I will use them to monitor my playing and my recordings. In fact I do not believe even "studio monitors" should be used for live events.

Joe

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online