SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 27 of 28 < 1 2 25 26 27 28 >
Topic Options
#285005 - 04/17/10 01:05 PM Re: Audya?? What is all the fuss about..?
mc Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
I agree, mc, the Audya does sound more lively, or "live"...of course we are comparing an mid-range arranger to a high arranger that costs nearly three times as much.

Some people, myself included, like Yamaha's compressed and balanced sound, just as much as those who appreciate the Audya's "live" sound.

I can tell you fall in the latter category, but you've always been a fan of the Audya since it's inception.

It is definitely the most "live" sounding arranger today.

Do you have one already, or are you planning on getting one when they have the operating system upgrades sorted and/or completed?

Ian

I don't own Audya, I had a Yamaha, which I just sold recently. Not sure what I want yet.

#285006 - 04/17/10 01:09 PM Re: Audya?? What is all the fuss about..?
DannyUK Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mc:

I owned a Yamaha s900 for a few years and I had a real issue with the drums. I bought a s910 tried and returned it. Same issue, the drums.

To each it own, so be it!

No no, constructive criticisms are fine, and if someone doesn't like something then fine, but simply saying that something "sux" is just really ignorant, that's all I am saying. How can anybody take something seriously with that type of response? Give reasons, explanations, a good logical debate is exactly what forums should be about, it's pretty easy to say "yeah that sux and mine is better", my 12 year old daughter says that to me all the time, I don't really expect to see that type of statement in a professional forum like this with where I expect to see intelligent constructive comments about any instruemnts and especially one that I just paid 3 grand for!

Danny.

Just to add, I am still very much interested in an Audya because it is an excellent sounding instrument.

[This message has been edited by DannyUK (edited 04-17-2010).]

#285007 - 04/17/10 01:19 PM Re: Audya?? What is all the fuss about..?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by mc:
I don't own Audya, I had a Yamaha, which I just sold recently. Not sure what I want yet.

Are you considering an Audya?

I'm aware the Yamaha drums didn't do it for you, but what else, besides the Audya would you be considering?

What about a Korg PA, or say, a second hand Roland G-70?

They have "live" sounding drums and bass, and aren't as compressed or balanced as the Yamaha.

Ian

#285008 - 04/17/10 01:21 PM Re: Audya?? What is all the fuss about..?
DannyUK Offline

The PA series has excellent drums and that's coming from a PA1X owner as well!

#285009 - 04/17/10 01:24 PM Re: Audya?? What is all the fuss about..?
Tonewheeldude Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DannyUK:
Every intro I hear on the Tyros makes me think of a song.

Just shows why both keyboards are relavent because they are designed for a very different target audience.

What you find is a positive was (and still is) my biggest personal gripe with Yamaha for many years and one of the biggest reasons for my own dislike of them. I hate that if you want to play a certain song you have to try 20 or 30 styles until you have the right one, or just use the Yamaha song library...its all very 'home organish'.

What excited me about the Audya is that it is back to the roots. you can pick a style and play many different songs with it, just like you would with a small band. Yamaha's styles (whilst in the UK are perfect for the intended market...ex home organists) sometimes they only fit one song and in my book its next to Karaoke for Keyboard when that happens.

#285010 - 04/17/10 01:47 PM Re: Audya?? What is all the fuss about..?
DannyUK Offline

TWD, the only Ketron I owned was an X1 and it was beautiful. What struck me about your previous post was what you disliked about the Yamaha is what I found the problem with the Ketron, I found the styles really difficult to suite my type of music, or rather, to suite the range of music I play. I love Latin and being Italian of course Latin styles are important so no problems there, however, I found the rest of the styles a little out of range with the rest of the stuff I play, the most difficult and unsuitable were Ballads and Dance. The quality of those styles were not in question, but I found they sounded very similar. That is why I then traded the X1 for a PA-80, then to a PA1x, they had what I needed and what I am finding with the T3.

Don't forget, I used to also own a PSR8000 and if my posts still exist here from when I first posted it many moons ago, you will see that I also did voice my reservations about the quality of the drums as well, especially Latin. After hearing the T3, I believe that Yamaha have really improved the drums to the point where they were convincing enough for me to buy into Yamaha again.

If we are talking home market, then I think the Yamaha is better suited, it's seems to be more varied and sounds fantastic too. The Audya seems to be geared towards the other end of the spectrum, but that doesn't mean the T3 can't perform on a live stage either.

Ketron seems to have produced an instrument to suite the live player first and foremost and I guess they have deemed the Drums, Bass and Guitar sounds as being those primary sounds above all, and I agree. This is where I agree with Ian though where he says the Yamaha is more balanced, it's more varied.

[This message has been edited by DannyUK (edited 04-17-2010).]

#285011 - 04/17/10 01:53 PM Re: Audya?? What is all the fuss about..?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Tonewheeldude:
What you find is a positive was (and still is) my biggest personal gripe with Yamaha for many years and one of the biggest reasons for my own dislike of them. I hate that if you want to play a certain song you have to try 20 or 30 styles until you have the right one,What excited me about the Audya is that it is back to the roots. you can pick a style and play many different songs with it, just like you would with a small band.

Wow! it took you trying 20 or 30 styles to find the right one?

Ha Ha...that's pretty good.

Most pros can find a style very quickly, on any arranger...especially after they've spent a bit of time with it.

AND, no one is forced into using the long intros...they're okay once in awhile, but most pros using a Tyros/PSR-S-series, or G-70/E-80 or PA2XPro/PA-800/500 rarely use the big intros, and generally play their own...I know I do.

Plus, you can play all kinds of tunes with each Yamaha/Roland/Korg style...you just have to be a little creative.

I don't actually dislike any other arranger...they are all excellent today, and I simply picked the features and sounds that I liked best...just happened to be Yamaha.

Ian

#285012 - 04/17/10 02:25 PM Re: Audya?? What is all the fuss about..?
Dnj Offline

What I dislike on Ketron Kb's is the Drums. They have a "SHELLY" type sound for my tastes which makes them much to prevalent in the mix.....I much prefer a tighter balanced mix.

#285013 - 04/17/10 02:29 PM Re: Audya?? What is all the fuss about..?
Tonewheeldude Offline

Danny, I agree with you completely about the X1. I still like that keyboard, although its a little dated now. I also have a PSR8000 standing on its side in a cupboard. I preferred the X1 because the sounds were better and more playable for me (the 8000 always sounded like it needed to be played 1/2 octave lower), but did like the overall design of the 8000 over the X1.

I strongly believe that the T3 (4 from November I guess) has its rightful place just as the Audya does and I think so far only Nitelife has actually realised that both keyboards can be of very good use to a performer.

#285014 - 04/17/10 02:38 PM Re: Audya?? What is all the fuss about..?
Tonewheeldude Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
What I dislike on Ketron Kb's is the Drums. They have a "SHELLY" type sound for my tastes which makes them much to prevalent in the mix.....I much prefer a tighter balanced mix.

I can only presume you are listening to demos through your pc speakers or a poor quality PA. I am a sound engineer and absolutely the Ketron on board drums are the only ones on the planet (of the current crop of arrangers) that sound any where near as good as a well mic'd up drum kit.

Ketron equipment can't be used with normal keyboard amps or lowend pa, you have to use HiFi quality gear, if a CD player sounds correct through a PA then so will a Ketron.

And if the drums are too much in the mix then its almost certain you are using low quality speakers or amplifier. To test it, play any current CD that has a live drummer. You will find you hear the drums and vocals louder on poor quality gear and you miss definition on bass and pad sounds. And if its still too much when your playing a Ketron, then just turn them down, every Ketron keyboard ever made has quick access volume controls.

[This message has been edited by Tonewheeldude (edited 04-17-2010).]

Page 27 of 28 < 1 2 25 26 27 28 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online