SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#280763 - 02/12/10 07:21 PM Re: Karma , The Arranger of the future (my view)
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Quote:
Can Karma's actions, scene changes and the like be triggered from external controllers? I was noticing how much you have to take your hands off the keys to do much of the scene changing, if it could be transferred to a MIDI pedal it might get more arranger-like

Yes.

Quote:
Can Karma's functions be controlled from the velocity of inputted notes as well (preferably instead of, for me) as pressure? I'm just trying to envision how I would go about controlling it from my playing entirely, rather than from actually jacking around with the sliders and buttons and stuff. I guess I am still too old school to let the machine take over to the point where I DO have a hand free!

Yes.
Almost everything in sight can control KARMA. Ribbon, Joy Stick, Vector Joy Stick, knobs, sliders, the 8 Pads (which are also velocity sensitive), CC#, note velocity, after pouch (pressure) slit points, zones, ........ and so on.

Everything can do something.

Quote:
And is there the ability to recognize how dense (notes per beat, e.g.) my playing is and get that to trigger a function? Like your 'note number' function, for instance...

I don't think it can count the number notes you play and use that as a trigger to activate a function like an ON and OFF switch, but it will track the number of notes you play and use that as a means to do more of the Karma effect(s) applied.

For example, a chord of 3 notes will produce a certain amount of notes in a pattern, and a chord of 4 notes will produce get KARMA to do more.

Regards
James.

#280764 - 02/12/10 07:33 PM Re: Karma , The Arranger of the future (my view)
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Cool... My goal forever is an arranger-like device that actually listens to YOU (both hands, though) and is intelligent enough to derive basic intent from simply your playing. Real players do this without thinking (at least, good ones do ), and THAT is the Holy Grail of automatic accompaniment, IMO.

The more you tell me, the more excited I get about it. I'm going to have to go back to my local Korg dealer and lock myself in a room with an M3 for about a week, and see what I can come up with. Sadly, I already have a Triton, and I can hear a VERY close resemblance to the type of sound it has (great at some things, quite weak at others, IMO).

Stephen did a software only version of Karma for Mac OS9 quite a while back. Perhaps it's time to abandon the integrated concept, and just release it as software?

#280765 - 02/13/10 01:16 AM Re: Karma , The Arranger of the future (my view)
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
for some reason i cant play the demo. I guess its time to upgrade my operating system from windows 98 (yes thats right windows 98)ha ha. Thanks for your efforts James anyway . The feedback you have received is very positive and if karma can do all that its potential shows there is a real opportunity here for you in terms of generating styles that could be made available commercially for non karma driven arrangers with a little bit of thought and very little effort in terms of style programming ability in the traditional sense.

Cheers

#280766 - 02/13/10 01:21 AM Re: Karma , The Arranger of the future (my view)
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I already have a Triton,

There is KARMA for Triton but it has to be connected to a computer all the time.

#280767 - 02/13/10 02:56 AM Re: Karma , The Arranger of the future (my view)
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Spalding
You have mail

Bill

#280768 - 02/13/10 06:23 AM Re: Karma , The Arranger of the future (my view)
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Thanks abacus you are a gent.

James that looks actually very useable. Can Karma mimic things like guitar slides and bends and mutes? I can see from that short demo how karma could make variations to a theme or drastic variations.

Is it possible for you to take a PA keyboard up tempo style with lets say rhythm guitars bass and drums and make variations of styles with those ? What I am really keen to hear is how the strumming (down up) is handled by Karma. I heard how the guitar in your demo produced arppegiated plucked notes and it sounded fine but how doe it cope with strummed sounds or slides ?

Thanks again so much for making your point with examples . It saves us all a lot of misunderstandings.

#280769 - 02/13/10 07:39 AM Re: Karma , The Arranger of the future (my view)
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Quote:
Is it possible for you to take a PA keyboard up tempo style with lets say rhythm guitars bass and drums and make variations of styles with those ?

Anything that can be converted to a Midi File can be converted to a KARMA GE, so Yes.

Quote:
What I am really keen to hear is how the strumming (down up) is handled by Karma

There are many factory sounds that offer that by default. YOU can even play a chord and strum the guitar with your finger by sliding it up and down on the ribbon.

Again, that's only one of many things you can do.

[quote]I heard how the guitar in your demo produced arppegiated plucked notes and it sounded fine but how doe it cope with strummed sounds or slides ? /quote]

All you need to do is select the relevant GE that offers the effect your looking for. From that point onwards you can then use the sliders to get as many variations of the effect you want.

The GE's are labelled very clearly. So if you want a Guitar Strumming GE, you just pick the one labelled Guitar Strum.

Regards
James

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online