SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#280546 - 02/02/10 08:44 AM Roland E60 v. Roland Juno-Stage?
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
I was in Sam Ash looking at some kb's
saw the Juno-Stage, was intrigued, as it was 76 keys, my preference-but the guys there couldn't help me with it and it was near closing time. I know it's not an arranger
but maybe it has other advantages?

I'm a jazz guy happily using my 76-key E60, but i never have used arrangers like most of you, i just use the bass and drum parts, on full kb recognition/intelligent setting. lately i've been adding different guest stars to my duo w bongo/percussionist,
and i'm finding playing my own lh bass is working out much better for the trio,
especially with the swing beats. in fact my lh bass chops are now getting freaky good.

so i'm wondering if i might be better off with a Juno-Stage than my E60? I have 2 E-60's so maybe swap one for the J-S?
does it have dedicated transpose? are the drum rhythms better?
is the key feel better? are the piano/rhodes/organ/vibes/gtr sounds better?
easy to store/access favorites? i know i'll love the trimmer shape 22 lbs v 28.5 for e60..and it looks more like a pro kb too, and it has mic input and vocorder..but I will miss the speakers in E60.
is it as easy to use live as the e60 (or easier?) i still wouldn't like
to depend on my lh bass for latin stuff..so is there a way i could use
whatever the Juno has to get bass line going, or is that doable only on E60?

should I try to trade one of my E60's for a Juno Stage? or am i dreaming i could part
ways with using an arranger?

------------------
Miami Mo

#280547 - 02/02/10 01:36 PM Re: Roland E60 v. Roland Juno-Stage?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Biggest difference you are likely to find in a practical gigging sense is, IMO, with the arranger you get FOUR drum patterns, six fills and some Intro's and Endings per style, with the Juno Stage, you get more of a 'looper' type pattern switching. Nothing set up to build through a song, nothing set up to all relate to each other, precious few fills...

If you use the E60's drums a LOT, you are going to miss this, I think. If you only use one Variation per song, it's not such a big deal (I know the percussion player probably helps a lot)., but if, like most arranger users, you are stepping through the Variations for Verses, Choruses, etc., there isn't really the same degree of functionality on a Juno. Possibly you could program it in, add new patterns, etc., even transfer pattens (via MIDI) from the E60, but this is likely to be a LOT of work...

OTOH, if you have had a trouble free existence with your E60's, it MIGHT be worth trading one (the most used one!) for the Juno and using BOTH at a gig. But I doubt you are going to be that happy with JUST the Juno if you use the E60's drum section much. I use my G70 a lot like you describe, just the drum section and play everything else, and so far, I haven't found anything else like a WS or a Stage keyboard that offers the ease of use and straightforward way of triggering Patterns that an arranger does...

#280548 - 02/02/10 01:49 PM Re: Roland E60 v. Roland Juno-Stage?
keysvocalssax Offline

thanks Diki. taking both to a gig would not be my preference. but your suggestion implies there would be advantages to the Juno Stage. you've pointed out the disadvantages v the E60 re drum pattern limitations, etc. what would the advantages be that would make it a good idea to use both? why not just stick with the E60?

------------------
Miami Mo

#280549 - 02/02/10 01:58 PM Re: Roland E60 v. Roland Juno-Stage?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Mo, the only advantage the Juno Stage has over the E-60..is the wave/MP3 player option....I would use the E-60 ...As Diki said..the drums with variations, fills..and going to the many patterns on the E 60 are superior..

I do like the Juno Stage, but would take an E60 over it...

#280550 - 02/02/10 02:10 PM Re: Roland E60 v. Roland Juno-Stage?
keysvocalssax Offline

thanks Fran, i guess i was was hoping the Stage
might have clear advantages in sound quality, key feel, and drum pattern choices, and that i could easily program some bass lines for when i wanted to use them, and that the only disadvantages would be losing the speakers and some of the arranger features. But if not then the only advantage is that it's hipper looking, a little smaller and lighter, and has
ipod input, mic input/vocorder, thumb drive slot. Without any sonic/feel/pattern advantages, the disadvantages outweigh the
advantages. Guess I'm an E60 guy for the duration.

------------------
Miami Mo

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online