SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#280469 - 02/01/10 02:31 PM Roland SA 300 any reviews?
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
After Fran C's very informative posts on the new Roland 300 battery unit my interest grew and I also looked up the SA 300. I've always liked systems with outboard subs and this one is compact, light and you can use the top piece without the sub. It even recognizes when the sub is not plugged in and adjusts the EQ, very cool. Problem is you need to actually see it and hear it. No one around here has one. Anyone out there have any experience with it?

Bill in NJ

#280470 - 02/01/10 02:38 PM Re: Roland SA 300 any reviews?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Not really, Bill. I tried to get the SA1000, which, I believe is the same unit optimized for organ or keyboard (can't remember). Never could find one or even a dealer that had heard of them. Looked very attractive at what remember was @ 25lbs per module. Price was a little stiff, though. About $1200 if I remember correctly.

chas

#280471 - 02/01/10 06:43 PM Re: Roland SA 300 any reviews?
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Hi Bill- I have an SA 300 so maybe I can be of help. I'm not a real gear head so don't ask me about watts and stuff like that... I'll tell you it's easy to set up and transport. I like the four inputs and basic EQ and reverb. I've used it with my Tyros, two vocal mics and an acoustic guitar with pick ups all running at the same time and it handled it well. maybe it's not good for crazy rock volume loud, but it was loud enough for most gigs that I do.

What I don't like about it is there's a lot of white noise hiss. Maybe not audible on a typical gig,but it kind of bugs me, especially if I'm practicing at home. The stereo effect is very slight. I think you'd really need two of them to get a full stereo sound.

I got a Bose Compact a few months ago and now keep the Roland SA 300 at my vacation home in Mexico. Over Christams I played with a real good guitar player/singer and he loved the SA 300 and wanted to buy it from me. I'll keep it- it's a nice amp/mixer. Great for solo gigs.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#280472 - 02/02/10 06:15 AM Re: Roland SA 300 any reviews?
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Thanks guys. I think the 300 is an updated version of the 1000 to appeal to a wider buying audience. Specs seem almost the same. Stores probably won't carry it either.
Motunoman- thanks for the input . If you do want to sell it I may also be interested. Like to use it with my Hammond XK3

#280473 - 02/02/10 12:40 PM Re: Roland SA 300 any reviews?
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
The SA 300 is a real "sleeper" No stores seem to carry them. I bought mine used at a on-line store. It's handles keys, vocals and acoustic guitar well. Not perfect (white noice) but I like it enough to keep it.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online