SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#280094 - 01/28/10 04:28 AM Re: Just bought a Tyros 3
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I have invented the best arranger ever, but I'm not going to share

I have the benefit of having all the arrangers on display and the pleasure of playing them all.

The problem is they all have amazing qualities, and each of them does something better than the other.

I speaking for myself, but I feel I rely on the arranger to make me better instead of me practicing or learning more of the arranger and what it can do.

I'm sure we have all heard someone playing a older arranger or regular keyboard and being blown away. I know if I sat down at that board it wouldn't even come close.

So I think practicing and learning your instrument would probably make it sound 10 times better than it does out of the box.

Now buy more stuff from me!!!

[This message has been edited by frankieve (edited 01-28-2010).]

#280095 - 01/28/10 04:50 AM Re: Just bought a Tyros 3
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
[B]

And Ian, we've had this conversation before, but to repeat, there's a huge difference between turning the part off, and having the part just be sparser.

Thanks for the correction, Diki...I acknowledge your infinite wisdom (nearly as infinite as mine) and appreciate your personal opinion (nearly as right as mine).

Turning off style parts works very well for me.

The T3 and S910 are also using the new Guitar mode (NTT) in the styles...they play exactly as a guitarist would play chords and arpeggios.

Subtle, but when you play it compared to a standard style, there is a a discernible difference that is pretty cool and very realistic. Allowing the guitar parts to play on their own, they sound remarkably like a guitar player finger picking and/or strumming...Yamaha's exclusive mega voices accent this effect even more.

I believe the OP, Danny, will be very pleased with his T3 and it's terrific styles and exceptionally realistic voices.

Ian

#280096 - 01/28/10 05:09 AM Re: Just bought a Tyros 3
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Turning off style parts works very well for me.

It HAS to... it's your only option!

Maybe, sometime in the future, arrangers will be sophisticated enough to vary the 'busy-ness' of a Part, maybe even smart enough to recognize when we need it and when we don't. Until then, it's one of the unsung reasons (sometimes even unrealized) why people will prefer one brand over another. Seldom articulated, but probably at LEAST as important as sounds and features...

#280097 - 01/28/10 05:23 AM Re: Just bought a Tyros 3
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
It HAS to... it's your only option!

Yes, but a very useful one nevertheless.

BTW, I have a new Yamaha CP-5 stage piano on order for my sample account...awesome acoustic piano and Rhodes sounds, (apparently a sample and modeling combination) and new wooden keyboard...I also have a P-95 on the way(replaces the P-85, naturally) and it has a new jazz organ voice, which should expand it's usage (I'm not a pipe organ fan...too morbid sounding to me).

Never a dull moment...just gearing up for a few clinics this weekend...Christmas tour follow-up.

Plus, trying to re-organize my new PC....laptop RIP.
[Whew!)
Hope you're keeping busy and gigging a lot.

Ian

#280098 - 01/28/10 06:12 AM Re: Just bought a Tyros 3
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Pretty slow right now. Season doesn't kick in until March.

Not sure if I would find an organ sound that big a deal on a wooden 88... Tear your hands up trying to play organistically (my spell checker doesn't think that's a word! ) on wood

Love to hear your impressions when they arrive, though. I must say, the thing that most excites me about pianos at the moment is the V-Piano's ability to change the degree of in tune or out of tune-ness either globally or to vary it over the keyboard by different amounts. That's one of the things that has always bugged me about sampled piano sets. Always the same, every time. But sometimes you want a bit more 'played-in' sound, sometimes you want that 'fresh from the tuner' flava...

I hope this feature starts to get added to more and more pianos.

#280099 - 01/28/10 06:22 AM Re: Just bought a Tyros 3
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by frankieve:
I have invented the best arranger ever, but I'm not going to share

I have the benefit of having all the arrangers on display and the pleasure of playing them all.

The problem is they all have amazing qualities, and each of them does something better than the other.

I speaking for myself, but I feel I rely on the arranger to make me better instead of me practicing or learning more of the arranger and what it can do.

I'm sure we have all heard someone playing a older arranger or regular keyboard and being blown away. I know if I sat down at that board it wouldn't even come close.

So I think practicing and learning your instrument would probably make it sound 10 times better than it does out of the box.

Now buy more stuff from me!!!

[This message has been edited by frankieve (edited 01-28-2010).]

You're right on the money with your comments!!

#280100 - 01/28/10 06:51 AM Re: Just bought a Tyros 3
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
I must say, the thing that most excites me about pianos at the moment is the V-Piano's ability to change the degree of in tune or out of tune-ness either globally or to vary it over the keyboard by different amounts. .

I played a V-Piano on my tour. Pretty cool. My only disappointment was the mids, and apparently, according to the users I've talked to, it's a common complaint, and no amount of tweaking quite eliminates it.

V-Piano Evolution has released four new patches for it, but it still hasn't quite fixed the mids.

Full modeling is still not quite where it's at (but it's getting there), and a combination of sampling and modeling still does a better job, but I'm sure Roland will get it working so the synthetic mids aren't an issue anymore...mind you, it probably wouldn't be a deal-breaker for most, but I like a piano with a fairly robust mid-range (that's where I do most of my playing).

I can see the technology trickle down to their other pianos...maybe even on a new arranger.

I must say, I really liked the action and the synthetic ivory feel...the one I played was hooked up to four powered speakers...very impressive...sounded like a huge Steinway grand.

Ian

#280101 - 01/28/10 06:58 AM Re: Just bought a Tyros 3
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by jamman:
sorry to break a fan boy's heart, but that'a a reality.

More nonsense

#280102 - 01/28/10 07:18 AM Re: Just bought a Tyros 3
Tonewheeldude Offline

Quote:
Not sure if I would find an organ sound that big a deal on a wooden 88... Tear your hands up trying to play organistically (my spell checker doesn't think that's a word! ) on wood

As well as destroying your palms doing a gliss it would be impossible to play faster riffs too, the notes won't return quick enough and the contact point will be too low.

#280103 - 01/28/10 07:34 AM Re: Just bought a Tyros 3
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Tonewheeldude:
As well as destroying your palms doing a gliss it would be impossible to play faster riffs too, the notes won't return quick enough and the contact point will be too low.

True...basically I'd be using it more for piano, piano with strings patch, Rhodes etc...the organ would be mainly used for pads, although, I guess being used to weighted actions, I have no trouble playing fast licks on them...no different than fast piano runs.

Smears and slides are a different story, but again, they aren't a big part of my style...I'd by an XK-1 if I was that interested.

Playing piano, especially solo, on a semi-weighted or organ (waterfall) keyboard is an even worse scenario.

If I was presented with one choice only to take on a gig, I'd go with weighted 88, as I play much more piano background than organ.

Ian

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online