SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#279239 - 01/15/10 06:49 AM Re: No new Arranger from Roland at NAMM!
leezone Offline

Ketron was not at NAMM
so nothing new from them
was hoping for my AUDYA-M

#279240 - 01/15/10 07:43 AM Re: No new Arranger from Roland at NAMM!
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I'm going to NAMM today, Friday so I will report back Friday Night or Saturday morning.
I already know that there are only two new arrangers coming in July from Yamaha. A replacement for the YDG635 called the 640 and a replacement for the PSRE413. I have already seen pictures and don't expect much change.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#279241 - 01/15/10 07:51 AM Re: No new Arranger from Roland at NAMM!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony Johnson:
Hi George,
Really disappointing news regarding Roland.
I had hoped to see a new top of range board from them. In the circumstances, I think it's madness to cease production /sales of the E80 (and G70) when they have nothing in place to offer us. I would still be willing to purchase an E80 new but there are none to be found.
Tony

I will sell you an E80 in like-new condition, but I'm afraid I can't charge you full price.
DonM

#279242 - 01/15/10 02:33 PM Re: No new Arranger from Roland at NAMM!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Yeah, Tony... why the fixation with new? An E80 is not a cheap PSR. Built like a tank (weighs like one too! ), and generally cared for obsessively by their owners, you can find these for under half what a new one would have cost you when it was released (not when they were blowing out the old stock!).

The OS updates are free, so you are still getting the latest production version, no matter WHAT is in the machine when you buy it.

I just bought a backup used G70 that looked like it had come off the showroom floor. I couldn't be happier with it. Give up on new, and get something that LOOKS like new, sounds like new, plays like new, but half price.

Don's sounds perfect...!

#279243 - 01/15/10 02:44 PM Re: No new Arranger from Roland at NAMM!
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
What does it cost to ship a half-ton keyboard to the UK?

chas

#279244 - 01/15/10 03:12 PM Re: No new Arranger from Roland at NAMM!
Diki Offline

Sorry... forgot where Tony was from. So Don's is out. Bet you there are a few E80's in Jolly Old England though Mind you, shipping and tax STILL don't add up to what a new one would probably cost.

Just be patient, and pounce when the time is right.

#279245 - 01/16/10 03:26 AM Re: No new Arranger from Roland at NAMM!
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
Thanks for the offer Don - a bit too far away though.

Looks as though it's got to be a used model or nothing then. The reason I prefer new, Diki, is if Roland do a Technics and leave me with the last board in the line, it has to last as long as possible - more chance of that with a new one which has had no rough treatment. Yes, Some guys do mistreat keyboards (and kids too) although you'ld think they wouldn't.
In the meantime - WAKE UP ROLAND! - we're waiting! Also waiting for Ketron to replace the steam age Floppy Disk on the SD3 with a USB port so that I can retire my MS40.
Tony

#279246 - 01/16/10 07:00 AM Re: No new Arranger from Roland at NAMM!
Diki Offline

Roland would probably be wide awake and working feverishly on a new TOTL arranger IF the E80/60/50/G70 had sold really well. But it seems that so many are late to the party, or listened to other peoples' negative opinions rather than their own ears when they WERE available, and what is Roland's incentive to make another one?

People seems, in the majority, happy with what Yamaha have done, making bland mostly low end (or mid end) models, but with the Mega voice stuff and SA2 stuff, which is all fairly proprietary and VERY mature. Yamaha been making Mega for what, eight to ten years or so, SA for five or more? - it's going to take any manufacturer close to that long just to catch up. Korg's DNC is a good example - got the basic OS, but REALLY short on samples made especially for it...

Let's face it, were it not for the PSR's, Yamaha would NEVER go out on a limb and have JUST the Tyros line. Although there is feature trickle down, I would imagine the sales of the PSR line is what really keeps the division afloat. Ian might know, but I bet PSR910's outsell Tyros's at least 20-1.

Roland are doing the right thing, IMO. If they can't recapture the low-mid end of the market, if they can't come out with anything that gives an S910 a good run for its' money, what are they going to do with another TOTL model but lose money again..? If they can make something like the Prelude but add in the Mega stuff and some kind of proto-DNC/SA technology, maybe revisit some of the great features they dropped (I swear, in the last decade, Roland have DROPPED more great Roland only features than they added!), and basically make something that has the S910's good features and none of its' bad, THEN it might be time to bring out another G-series or TOTL E-series.

But I KNOW how you all will react if they bring out something like the G70, but with some half-baked SA stuff (like that awful Atelier stuff) and a half-cocked version of Mega voice technology... A great big yawn. Just as you all did for the G70

G70's and E80's are built like tanks, even my five year old daily gigged on the beach one is still close to pristine, my backup one is showroom. These aren't PSR's. I know few people that bang down $3500-4500 for a TOTL arranger then abuse the heck out of it! They buy the kids a PSR, and keep them off the E80

If Roland HAVE pulled a Technics with their TOTL, at least they went out on a note that I can play for a VERY, very long time. A real cyclical breather! Just bite the bullet, Tony, and get good pictures and a return policy on a used E80/G70, and don't worry too much. I'm really not kidding when I say they are built like tanks!

#279247 - 01/16/10 07:44 PM Re: No new Arranger from Roland at NAMM!
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
good post DIKI,
I am keeping my E 80. Jann can bury it with me and I will play it instead of a harp
Bebop

#279248 - 01/18/10 11:02 AM Re: No new Arranger from Roland at NAMM!
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
Thanks for the advice Diki - I probably will decide to "bite the bullet" as you say.
It is quite a disappointment after that nicely expectant state when one thinks a new board is on it's way but, as I came up with this expectation simply on my guessing Roland's intention when they dropped the E80, it's my own fault.
Such a shame though - some write-ups of range bottom boards such as the Prelude, show what Roland could still achieve but, as you say, they have got to sell. Never thought the industry would finish up in this parlous state when we once took the regular introduction of new boards from so many different manufacturers for granted.
Tony

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online