SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#278255 - 12/29/09 02:46 PM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:
Originally posted by FransN:
Yes Ian,

When I am irritated I also say things that make no sense See some of my threads. Yes I know myself.

Are you irritated now, Frans?

Just KIDDING!

Regards

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#278256 - 12/29/09 05:45 PM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Originally posted by mc:
Diki wasn't banned right? He's still here

That's too bad with DNJ, He was better off just keeping things to himself. Is it a permanant ban.

Not permanent, he'll get another opportunity next Summer...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#278257 - 12/29/09 05:47 PM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Taike:
Are you irritated now, Frans?

Just KIDDING!

Regards

Taike

Well now I am

#278258 - 12/29/09 06:05 PM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
Not permanent, he'll get another opportunity next Summer...

Bill, how do you know these things?..
Are you Nigel's administrative assistant?...

#278259 - 12/29/09 07:16 PM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I've met Donny personally and I know he is a good guy, and I like him and consider him a friend, but I have to say, his post was a real disappointment to me ...
Too bad,
t.

#278260 - 12/31/09 02:38 AM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Yeah Donny was banned again. No surprise to anyone including him I am very sure. If you really are surpised you can email me directly and I will connect the dots for you.

#278261 - 12/31/09 06:08 AM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Donny,
I'm sure was and is lurking in the shadows. I think it was unfortunate and poor taste to go on the attack upon his return. I would like to say this - I know Donny through his many posts, personal emails and telephone conversations. He has always been a personable, helpful, kind and gentle person toward me. I think he's a fine person. BUT, I also have sensed a change in DNJ's posts over the past 18 months or so. There seems to be an underlying anger and in-your-face attitude that I didn't sense before then. I'm wondering if there is something going on in Donny's life that has triggered this change. I know that he and Diki have had their very public put-down sessions that seem to monopolize his comments, but even DNJ's comments to others have sometimes been curt and less friendly than before. I hope I am wrong, but if there is something going on in Donny's life that is affecting his actions, I pray that he finds peace in this new year. JMHO.

#278262 - 12/31/09 06:40 AM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
There seems to be an underlying anger and in-your-face attitude that I didn't sense before then. I'm wondering if there is something going on in Donny's life that has triggered this change...even DNJ's comments to others have sometimes been curt and less friendly than before. I hope I am wrong, but if there is something going on in Donny's life that is affecting his actions, I pray that he finds peace in this new year. JMHO.

I agree, Cassp...I found a change in Donny's demeanor over the past while too.

We still keep in touch by email, and he is always courteous and helpful, but, like you said, there is a change that is even noticable in his private messages.

We all go through slumps and sometimes even question what we are doing...I've taken the winter off to re-evaluate personal arranger gigging, as I seem to have lost my interest in it a lot in the past year. I still like to do the occasional Yamaha demo, and help people, but as far as playing gigs, I just don't feel the same way about them.

I still play my S910 everyday, and I'm getting a new digital piano in the near future, but something inside me has changed, and I'm not sure if it will change back. I haven't even done any recording in quite a while.

I just turned 60 this past March, and it's made me look at things differently...time left in my life has suddenly become more valuable, and I'm evaluating what to do with it.

I hope that whatever Donny is experiencing (if he is) is something that he can share with someone else, as a problem shared, is a problem cut in half...I know it has helped me to discuss my feelings about playing.

We all change at different rates, and for different reasons....if there is something gnawing away at him, I hope he finds a way to talk about it, and get rid of it; I know talking about my issues to good and trusted friend, has helped me cope a lot better.

Ian

#278263 - 12/31/09 07:16 AM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
I've taken the winter off to re-evaluate personal arranger gigging, as I seem to have lost my interest in it a lot in the past year.

I found this very interesting, Ian, or am I reading too much into it? Did you really mean ARRANGER gigging as opposed to just gigging in general. Could you elaborate (but only if you feel like sharing). Does it have anything to do with the lack of personal satisfaction of playing an arranger keyboard (in arranger mode) in a professional setting (you being primarily an instrumentalist and all). I ask because I really enjoy fooling around with my arranger(s) at home but have no desire to play one in public (IN ARRANGER MODE). That's not a put-down of the instrument; it's just that it's never going to play what I want the audience to hear, a fact that I've stated over and over but which seems to draw fire every time I try to explain. I keep getting painted as some kind of purist or elitist, which is a joke considering my questionable talent and mediocre ability. I, too, had lost interest in gigging again until I got my Nord C1 and went back to playing the only thing I've ever really played as a (semi) pro, an organ. If all other things were equal, it would be an authentic 'B3' but I find the C1 to be the next best thing in terms of playing satisfaction.

Didn't mean to take this thread in a different direction but your statement really got my attention.

chas

#278264 - 12/31/09 08:12 AM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
I found this very interesting, Ian, or am I reading too much into it? Did you really mean ARRANGER gigging as opposed to just gigging in general. Does it have anything to do with the lack of personal satisfaction of playing an arranger keyboard (in arranger mode) in a professional setting (you being primarily an instrumentalist and all). I, too, had lost interest in gigging again until I got my Nord C1 and went back to playing the only thing I've ever really played as a (semi) pro, an organ. If all other things were equal, it would be an authentic 'B3' but I find the C1 to be the next best thing in terms of playing satisfaction.

Didn't mean to take this thread in a different direction but your statement really got my attention.

chas

I'm not sure yet, Chas...I've gone through little slumps, but I always managed to re-interest myself in something that would draw me back in to playing.

It's not just arranger playing...I work hard at giving myself at least a tiny bit of individuality with an arranger by assembling my own styles and writing my own arrangements, but I just don't feel that satisfaction I used to feel when playing at my restaurant gig. I don't want to do these gigs anymore as it stands now.

I seemed always to get a good reaction, but at the same time, I also felt like wallpaper; it had nothing to do with using an arranger...I felt the same way when playing solo piano.

Playing the Hammond was definitely a real love of mine...I cut my teeth on the Hammond and made sort of a name for myself (medium fish....very small pond) when I played years ago in the local bands, and that is something I'm toying with at present.

Not a lot of players to work with around this area, and I don't want to do the bar scene anymore either.

I'm just thinking out loud.

It's like I need to find the joy again...the hunger...I don't know, I'm probably not making much sense.

All the surgeries I had over the past two years didn't help (three major) and I still have to be careful lifting anything over 30 lbs or so...otherwise, I'm totally healthy.

I don't think it's a self-confidence thing...it's like I feel burnt out more than anything.

Again, thinking out loud, and probably still not making sense...I don't want to take this topic off base too far either, but it is heartening to know that others like yourself (and maybe Donny?) have felt these types of feelings to some extent.

Ian

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online