SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#277482 - 12/11/09 11:36 AM Re: How important are YOUR vocals?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I had an interesting experience yesterday.
I have never sung without a band or a keyboard to hide behind, but I was asked by the Sheriff to sing Silent Night at the end of a big Christmas party. I was a guest, and not performing this year.
It's a really big banquet hall and there were maybe 300 people there, all from 50 to 90 years old. They have an in-house sound system with wireless mics.
I recorded the background on the E80, because it was at home. I transferred it to a CD and had the sound person play it as I sang.
It is a totally different experience to stand there on a stage "naked" with only a mic while 300 people stare at you. It did go well. I did three verses, and repeated the first verse and invited everyone to stand up and sing along. It gave me chills as they all joined robustly in. Then I got a standing ovation.
Of course I made sure they were already standing.
It was a confidence booster for sure!
It's hard to go wrong with old people and Christmas songs though.
DonM

#277483 - 12/11/09 04:17 PM Re: How important are YOUR vocals?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
DonM

Watch that old stuff--I resemble that remark!

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#277484 - 12/11/09 04:48 PM Re: How important are YOUR vocals?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I had an interesting experience yesterday.
I have never sung without a band or a keyboard to hide behind, but I was asked by the Sheriff to sing Silent Night at the end of a big Christmas party. I was a guest, and not performing this year.
It's a really big banquet hall and there were maybe 300 people there, all from 50 to 90 years old. They have an in-house sound system with wireless mics.
I recorded the background on the E80, because it was at home. I transferred it to a CD and had the sound person play it as I sang.
It is a totally different experience to stand there on a stage "naked" with only a mic while 300 people stare at you. It did go well. I did three verses, and repeated the first verse and invited everyone to stand up and sing along. It gave me chills as they all joined robustly in. Then I got a standing ovation.
Of course I made sure they were already standing.
It was a confidence booster for sure!
DonM

Quite a few are "guests" of the Sheriff this time of year, Don. Some by choice, others would rather be elsewhere. Especially the "cute" ones.

Taike

(Russ made me do it)

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#277485 - 12/11/09 06:47 PM Re: How important are YOUR vocals?
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:

I have seen and know several "pros" that use their vocal ability to mask less stellar playing skills...
a lot more than the reverse...

Well,, I said my opinion..what do you think of my views?

You could probably count me in that group. I haven't improved my playing ability in decades, but I do note that my vocals have been carrying me - and getting me work. Cheez Fran, you didnt have to tell everyone about my less than stellar playing
Ciao,
Jerry

#277486 - 12/11/09 08:31 PM Re: How important are YOUR vocals?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I played horns for years in bands and never sang a note. I ultimately evolved into piano bar work where the drunks sang all the songs and I never sang a note.
I still don't sing a note. I just play and play and play
I do a gig they don't listen they jitterbug
Bebop

#277487 - 12/12/09 12:54 AM Re: How important are YOUR vocals?
player 1 Offline

Loc: Vargon Sweden
Its always the singer ( in my case my Wife) who get the credit for a very nice voice, the player (on Audya) never hear anything like, oh you have a new kb. what a good sound, but to me it doesnt matter because the lead vocal is the most important person and if I can play and use the vocalizer to make it even more beautiful, than I be satisfied. I know that the sound from Audya has made our music much better at least in my ears.

------------------

#277488 - 12/12/09 07:56 AM Re: How important are YOUR vocals?
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
I've always been known as a singer. But my keyboard skills are good as well. I studied piano in college and have held many a solo piano job. The compliments are alwasy much greater for the singing. I think people today take music for granted, like it's just supposed to be there. Take for example, American Idol. Everyone is going ga ga over the singer, but what about that elite cadre of musicians that a backing all the up? Just my thoughts.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#277489 - 12/12/09 12:35 PM Re: How important are YOUR vocals?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Watch that old stuff--I resemble that remark!
Gary

... no more than I do ...

Don... you are absolutely right ... I have had a number of occasions when I have gone to hear other musicians - such as YOURSELF!!! - and have been asked to just 'sing' ... it is definitely a different experience .. I had the added value of you or Hank on the kb which made life simple for me, but at least you had a backing track you were familiar with ...

Back to the subject, at last night's gig at a really nice CC, I had a couple of ladies tell me that my music sounded wonderful, and I have a beautiful voice ...
nothing like that 'liquid Christmas spirit' ...
Actually, a number of the wait staff also complimented me, which is always an 'extra' boost, and more importantly, the Manager asked me to check my calendar for St. Valentine's Day ...

t.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online