SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#277472 - 12/10/09 08:44 AM Re: How important are YOUR vocals?
Beakybird Offline

I get compliments on my voice, but not every show.

I get a lot of compliments about how good I make that machine sound. I get a ton of compliments on how funny my jokes are, because I have incorporated some funny patter into my show inbetween songs.

But I recognize that singing is very important.

For the last six months, I have been practicing in the car to and from gigs to CDs from Singing Success. www.singingsuccess.com.

While I haven't made as much progress as I would like at hitting those highs, I have made some. I am often comfortably hitting a G below high C and on "Build Me Up Buttercup" I'm doing it well just one half step down, hitting a B below high C.

My singing is much more in tune, and my voice is richer. I can tell that I am commanding more presence and that people are more impressed overall with my show (The S910 helps a lot too).

Singing Success just came out with a new program called Mastering Mix that I just started on. It is systematic and comprehensive. It is for people who can sing in chest register, get into head voice, but who have trouble bringing the two together. I just love the program, and I'm starting to see results after a week.

It's on Xmas sale at their website. Normally $299, and now $239 or something.

I figure that if I'm going to be stuck in the car so much driving to gigs, I might as well do something productive.

Beakybird

#277473 - 12/10/09 09:29 AM Re: How important are YOUR vocals?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Gary great topic and you offer hope with that comment at 69 years of age.

Gary you and others suggested a few years back when I asked advice about increasing the number of gigs I play here that I should work with voice coach and not just be playing instrumentals on the senior circuit. Shortly after I did and have worked with a couple of voice coaches, one better than the other. I'm back with the original coach who has a better handle on teaching proper technique. All I can say is singing is a lot more difficult to do a good job on than I thought. And I mean a lot more...... I'm coming along but not happy with where I'm at. At times I have illusions that I could be Mel Torme WRONG!! All I have to do is listen to my recordings.

I have found vocals have opened up more doors, my voice coach in a conversation last week said, you're coming along, but you have your age againist you. ( late 50s) He said you'll do OK, emphasis on OK. I'm working hard at improving, but it's not coming easy. But I'm having some fun along the way, if I had to do this full time the reality is I'd have to panhandle to make ends meet. Some people got the goods other's do not, I'm in the latter class. But hell I'm having some fun with it all.

Sunday morning I woke up with an infection that has affected my lip and right section of my jaw. Even though I'm taking meds for it my face is still swollen and it makes doing vocals more difficult. At last night's Christmas gig in a regular upscale assisted living facility I play I told the audience who already could see my face was swollen that I would not be singing as much this evening.

Short story is I spent more time on the grand piano, playing Christmas piano solo arrangements I've been playing the last 35 years. It was those solos that got the more applause that the arranger vocal pieces. Just my 2 cents.

#277474 - 12/10/09 10:49 AM Re: How important are YOUR vocals?
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
For a medicore singer like myself, how much can a device like the "voice pro 2" help in live performances? Between the pitch correction and all the cool harmonies, I'd think it could make anyone sound better.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#277475 - 12/10/09 10:50 AM Re: How important are YOUR vocals?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Coming from a players background and not really a singer's past...
I can appreciate and enjoy good instrumental music ..absent
from vocals..

I also enjoy great vocal deliveries...
and I agree most audiences can relate to the vocals more so than the instrumental aspect..

I have seen and know several "pros" that use their vocal ability to mask less stellar playing skills...
a lot more than the reverse..

I know many technically skilled vocalist..
trained and capable of vibrato at any time..and most audiences can see this...
but for me they leave me uninterested..

The vocal skill is how we "sell the song"..

I know and rather listen to a less polished vocalist..
that knows how to sell the song..Expressiveness, and the ability to tell the story..

The real "pro" singer knows how to make a song personal,
via eye contact and phrasing of the song with emotional inflections..
I know far more "pros" that do this and are less skilled technically..
they have developed through experience..They know what the song is trying to say..thus
able to deliver...rather than the singer that wants to show how skilled a singer they are..

Other singers like to mimic a certain artists....to a fault..
.and usually this comes across flat too..because they fail to tell the story..

It is fine to use a certain artists traits in your voice,
but don't forget to be expressive and sell the song..

Back to preference..There are many that rather hear instruments..
great players that can deliver..some music genres..instrumental is all that is needed..

I also think that it is harder to find good players..
where as singers are "a dime a dozen"..and for the most part the average singer can get over on a crowd..
especially the good looking ones..

Well,, I said my opinion..what do you think of my views?

#277476 - 12/10/09 10:53 AM Re: How important are YOUR vocals?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I was gettin' pumped until you mentioned good-looking.
Must agree though.
DonM

#277477 - 12/10/09 01:10 PM Re: How important are YOUR vocals?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Me too, Don. Fran always comes up with a zinger, though. At my age "good lookin'" is tough to come by, and that's if I worked all day trying to look that way.

I also agree that a GOOD singer is one that can sell the song. Those that just go through the motions don't cut it.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#277478 - 12/10/09 02:35 PM Re: How important are YOUR vocals?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I would have to say that I get at least 4 or 5 compliments on my vocals every job. I might get 1 compliment on my playing every now and then. As much as I'd like to think that I set up and play a song pretty well, I agree that my vocals are my hallmark.

#277479 - 12/10/09 02:42 PM Re: How important are YOUR vocals?
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Good post Fran
I have been playing for 45 years but, singing solo only four. I consider my self fairly good but, not excellent on keyboards. The funny thing is that people consider me a good singer, eventhough I can't always command vibrato when I want. I, like Fran says, try to make eye contact and, above all, make the story very personal with gestures and facial expressions.

#277480 - 12/10/09 03:00 PM Re: How important are YOUR vocals?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Good topic, guys.

Eye contact is important. Just remember to romance the male audience as well. Don't want to come across as a sexist vocalist, do you?

Regards

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#277481 - 12/11/09 09:49 AM Re: How important are YOUR vocals?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Look, Taike, you're my friend and all, BUT I'M NOT FLIRTING WITH DON MASON if he ever comes to see me on a gig!

(He is kinda cute, though (LOL)!

Russ

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online