SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#277452 - 12/09/09 04:16 PM How important are YOUR vocals?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Today, I had to inform another facility that I would no longer be performing for them. It was a difficult decision, but one that had to be made.

I waited until the last moment of the performance to tell the audience, which consisted of about 75 to 85 ladies and gentlemen who were residents at an assisted living facility located in western Baltimore County.

In finished with a rendition of My Way, got a standing ovation from those that were not wheel chair bound, and lots of hugs and kisses from both the staff and residents.

The irony of this, and most performances, is that there were lots of ladies and gentlemen that said "You have a beautiful voice." However, no one, no matter how well you play, ever makes any comments about your playing ability. This has always been the case with me, and a lot of really great players that I know.

I've always worked very hard at perfecting my playing ability, both with the keyboard, and when I was younger, with a 12-string guitar. However, I've always considered myself as a mediocre player at best. My wife, and a few musicians, have told me I play quite well, both with my left and right hand. But most of the time, my voice has become my right hand. Sure, I might provide some right-hand enhancement to the song with various instruments, but overall, it's my vocals that seem to hold the audiences.

At the end of the performance, the AD and some of the other staffers asked to have their picture taken with me. After a half-dozen photos, they asked if I would at least consider doing next year's Christmas party for them, to which I agreed. (It's hard to say no to such wonderful people.)

During the drive home I thought about the comments about my singing. I guess I'm fortunate in that I can still carry a tune fairly well, even at 69 years of age. In my case, my vocal ability, at least from what I can discern, is the most important component of my performances.

The question that comes to mind is how many forum members that perform for a living depend heavily upon their vocal ability?

Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#277453 - 12/09/09 04:41 PM Re: How important are YOUR vocals?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Gary ... Like you, vocals are a MAJOR part of my performances ... and, not to pay myself on the back, but I too have often been complimented on my voice ...
What I have noticed, is that people will not often say "You PLAY well", but rather, when it comes to the music part, at the end of an instrumental they might say "you have a nice sound" or "that was very pretty", or words to that affect ...
But I have said here many times, for the most part, the kb is there to back up my vocals ... while I can do a good job on instrumentals, I am not a 'piano player' and do not 'sell' myself as one ...
t.

#277454 - 12/09/09 06:31 PM Re: How important are YOUR vocals?
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
It's funny, but the comment we (as a Duo) most often get after a show is:

(To my Wife) You have a fantastic (etc) Voice.

(To Me) You....(pause) play so great!

The reality there is :

1. My wife indeed DOES have a great Voice - she is a natural.

2. I'm actually a decent singer too, but My missus is THAT good, she regularly puts my good vocals in the shade.

Therefore I still sing as well as I possibly can, but "play up" my playing (trills, runs, Chromatics, fast triplets etc etc etc) to hold up my end, if you know what I mean.

So what I'm saying in a nutshell is - we get BOTH kinds of comments - great singing, great playing, just not from the same person...lol

Oh well

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#277455 - 12/09/09 06:57 PM Re: How important are YOUR vocals?
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
Played a big Christmas dinner last night. Got 3 compliments on the "volume level". These folks said they could hear the music easily, yet talk comfortably across the table.

#277456 - 12/09/09 09:01 PM Re: How important are YOUR vocals?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:
Originally posted by hellboy44:
It's funny, but the comment we (as a Duo) most often get after a show is:

(To my Wife) You have a fantastic (etc) Voice.

(To Me) You....(pause) play so great!

The reality there is :

1. My wife indeed DOES have a great Voice - she is a natural.

2. I'm actually a decent singer too, but My missus is THAT good, she regularly puts my good vocals in the shade.

Therefore I still sing as well as I possibly can, but "play up" my playing (trills, runs, Chromatics, fast triplets etc etc etc) to hold up my end, if you know what I mean.

So what I'm saying in a nutshell is - we get BOTH kinds of comments - great singing, great playing, just not from the same person...lol

Oh well

Karen? Richard?

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

[This message has been edited by Taike (edited 12-09-2009).]

#277457 - 12/09/09 09:03 PM Re: How important are YOUR vocals?
montunoman Online   content

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I have gone through most of my life working on my instruments. Never gave singing a thought. About a year ago it ocurred to me that I can and should sing- not to say I'm anything special but I think most players at the very least have a functional voice (sing in tune) I've been doing vocal exercises in the car, singing more with CD's and trying to make an efort to sing everything that I practice on the keyboard including Hanon, Bach, scales, apregios, bebop heads, montunos, whatever... I starting to sing some easy stuff in public and so far know has thrown any rotten vegtables at me. In fact I'm surprised at how well people have reacted. Some tunes people will sing along. What I'm tyring to say is that you can sing! Maybe not like Nat King Cole or Sinatra but you have your own voice. I'm sure we all could come with a big list of poor singers who are rich!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#277458 - 12/09/09 09:42 PM Re: How important are YOUR vocals?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I started singing because the singer didn't show up and I wanted to keep getting paid.
I was pretty bad. Over the next 20 or 30 years I got a lot better, but I suppose I'll never consider myself a great singer.
However, that is more and more how I'm conceived by the public.
I get compliments on my playing from other PLAYERS, but the audience generally compliments the voice.
As long as nobody boos and I get paid, I'm a happy camper.
DonM

#277459 - 12/09/09 10:02 PM Re: How important are YOUR vocals?
Bachus Offline

If there are vocals, you will get judged by your vocals, its the main reason i never picked up performing as a OMB.

Its not about what we think but its about the crowd, and they will not hear the difference between A) who uses his keyboard as a midiplayer and sings along with his midi files or MP3's B) A truely great player that only uses a minimal style as backup or just drums and piano..

They will however hear the diferences in the vocal performance as that is where their ears are trained for.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#277460 - 12/09/09 11:13 PM Re: How important are YOUR vocals?
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
I do very little vocals. It's always my playing that gets the attention anyway, even when I am singing. Of course, when I was singing more, I'd get lots of remarks about my voice and certain songs, etc, but even then, nobody thinks of me as a vocalist, I'm always thought of as a musician. Which is how I like it.

#277461 - 12/10/09 04:12 AM Re: How important are YOUR vocals?
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Years ago I played 10 instrumentals and 2 vocals. Today it is its 20 vocals and few instrumentals. Most vocals allow for some solo instrumental work.

People understand a voice, for the most part, they do not understand the instrument, especially the OMB keyboards. Some comments would come if they to played an instrument also.

John C.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online