SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#275736 - 11/17/09 02:05 PM Re: Why an arranger?
big741.1 Offline

Loc: Edmonton,Canada
Cool thread, Ian.

I'm gonna sort of date myself with this answer. I bought my 3000 because of nostalgia. Back in the 80's (High School) I had a white Yamaha arranger (mono, only had one speaker), and later upgraded to a silver beast that was in stereo. Sold it when I was in college, and never touched, heard or saw an arranger from then until 2007(?) when I bought my 3000. I bought it because I remembered how much fun I had in High School with those old-timers, and I had a few bucks and a lot of time to kill (I still have the time - not the bucks, however). So my answer is "Because I had one when I was a kid!".

Take care,
Dan

P.S. I still have a fully functional PCS 500 and 50 or so play-cards for it. The keys are small, but it fits nicely on your lap.

#275737 - 11/17/09 04:58 PM Re: Why an arranger?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
If you didn't know then you haven't been around here much when Diki and Dnj's childish bickering hijacked numerous threads. 99% of people here are only too aware of what went down and why I gave us all a break from their antics.

And that is not to say that they are both not here ANYMORE. They are just taking a short hiatus from the forum and will be back.

Make sure you are fully aware of the facts before you start accusing me of "stupid" over moderation. Don't go off half cocked without knowing what went on. Many of the problem postings were removed at the time they became a problem.

In the 11 years I have been moderating this forum in this format I have been accused of under moderating a number of times by people that would prefer I was more hardnosed. This is the first time I have been accused of overmoderating. What on earth would make you jump to that conclusion? I always bend over backwards to let you all draw your own lines. It is only in the rare cases that people are incapable of doing that that I need to step in. And even then it is almost always a temporary suspension just to allow cooling off. But of course you already knew it was only temporary as I already said that in the posting you were referring to.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 11-17-2009).]

I immediately noticed a more civil tone in the forum with the suspension. I applaud you.

#275738 - 11/17/09 05:41 PM Re: Why an arranger?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Exactly, Mockie...sideman, conductor, sax player, piano player, guitarist..we can pretend to be them all....and the band always plays what we want!

It's hard to be lonely when you play an arranger keyboard.

Ian ... I have to disagree ...even being all those things, it is STILL only ME !!! ... and I still prefer it when I have at least one other person to work with ...

t.

#275739 - 11/17/09 05:58 PM Re: Why an arranger?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Ian ... I have to disagree ...even being all those things, it is STILL only ME !!! ... and I still prefer it when I have at least one other person to work with ...

t.

Tony, I'm sure it's still possible to be lonely playing an arranger, but I do prefer the being alone to having band mates I could not rely on.

When I'm not doing instrumentals, I like to work with a singer, as I'm better at background vocals, for the most part, although there are tunes that seem to suit my voice....a singer gives the audience another thing to watch....some arranger players add a percussionist.

Guitar players are a little tougher...it's hard to find one who likes to play at volumes other than 11...but, I do have a buddy that plays very well, and we occasionally do a gig or two, and some jamming.

The thing I like most about arranger play is control.

Sometimes that means playing alone.

Tony, who would you have for the person, or persons to work with you? A guitarist, singer, drummer? None of the above?

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 11-17-2009).]

#275740 - 11/17/09 06:01 PM Re: Why an arranger?
124 Offline

That's right, Tony. Much as I love all the aspects of arranger playing mentioned by many here, nothing, n-o-t-h-i-n-g beats the chemistry of a real band. As a caveat to that, I should mention that in all my years in the real band situation, I never experienced any of the downsides others have talked about. Just lucky, I guess.

#275741 - 11/17/09 06:08 PM Re: Why an arranger?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by 124:
That's right, Tony. Much as I love all the aspects of arranger playing mentioned by many here, nothing, n-o-t-h-i-n-g beats the chemistry of a real band. As a caveat to that, I should mention that in all my years in the real band situation, I never experienced any of the downsides others have talked about. Just lucky, I guess.

You have been lucky, 124...a lot of my musician friends succumbed to drugs, alcohol, or both...seemed to go with the business...I was lucky...I gave up drinking and drugging about 30 years ago, and I've had many years of nice normal playing since then.

No doubt the chemistry of playing in a band is unmatched, as long as there are no chemicals in the band members.

#275742 - 11/18/09 01:19 AM Re: Why an arranger?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
You have been lucky, 124...a lot of my musician friends succumbed to drugs, alcohol, or both...seemed to go with the business...I was lucky...I gave up drinking and drugging about 30 years ago, and I've had many years of nice normal playing since then.

No doubt the chemistry of playing in a band is unmatched, as long as there are no chemicals in the band members.

You forgot women, Ian. Or not?

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#275743 - 11/18/09 05:26 AM Re: Why an arranger?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
The first arranger I recall seeing was Don Mason's. I didn't know him but I was at a party and being, a geetar player musician, fascinated by what he was doing. I approached him, asked a few questions and he was nice and answered my questions.

I guess it was a few years later when I had some money in my pocket, I researched arrangers on the internet and likely, this forum. I ended up buying a Yamaha psr740. It intimidated me and I gave up, not being a player. About a year later, I said screw it, I am going to learn to play this thing. I taught myself how to play chords and off I went. Since then, bought a Yamaha psr2000 and then, an S900. Which is gathering cobwebs because all I do these days is work.

It was funny reading all the arrangers Don has gone through. Man, he is something else. I keep stuff for years, haha, too lazy to learn something new.

#275744 - 11/18/09 07:05 AM Re: Why an arranger?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Bill, you think that list is long, you should see all the women I've gone through.
Looks like this one might stay around though, it's been 29 years, and she has been here through all the keyboards, including the five I currently own (counting Edirol controller).
I forgot to list the Casio WK I have loaned to a friend.
Bill has become pretty accomplished playing the keyboard. I thought he'd been playing for many years.
DonM

#275745 - 11/18/09 07:16 AM Re: Why an arranger?
mr9000 Offline

So some got sent to the principles office hmm..you can bet your pretty lil booties Diki recieved this light banning for standing on what was the just side of things for certain..glad it is not a permanant ban,seems i was a hairs breath away on being absent if it were a permanant offence.Glad team D shall shortly conclude.

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online