SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#275706 - 11/15/09 10:54 AM Re: Why an arranger?
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Although technically correct, it is usually a British variant and since you're not British, I find it insulting to the senses (or is that 'senCes').

chas

Ahhh well now, it is the American versions of English that are the variance

The English version is ALWAYS correct!! And not just technically , it just is.

Dennis

#275707 - 11/15/09 11:14 AM Re: Why an arranger?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Synthzone (or is it Cynthzone), the absolute best, most effective, most efficient, place in the world for getting a good topic off track .

chas

Chas, life is way too short to stay on topic...now [whispering], it's about now that Diki should jump in with his rant about "no chord Cequencers!"

And...by the way, where is Donny?

Diki is back...did the boy from New Jersey get a longer Centence?

#275708 - 11/15/09 01:23 PM Re: Why an arranger?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Ian,
I think it may have been the 1000.
The card system looks familiar.

The KN800 was amazing. I also had it midied to my Atari. All the style tracks recorded across ( except for drums) & could be displayed in Notator's score display. Unfortunately drums didn't, they just recorded across as a program change.
Pretty exciting stuff 20 years ago.

Yes I had a Disklavier. Mine was only an upright & it was a fairly early one. It was all in one, though.
I already had a Yamaha Baby Grand, which hubby had bought , mainly as a beautiful piece of furniture for the living room. haahaa
I'd always wanted a pianola, the Disklavier was the ultimate pianola. There was an amazing range of piano disks available. I used to listen to it for hours.
Then there was also the plus side of the midi & recording functions. Realized I was not musical enough to play solo piano, but with an arranger for backing, I could play songs that would have taken me weeks if not months to learn as solo piano pieces..

Unfortunately, we downsized houses when the kids left, no space for the piano's.

I've got a Clavinova nowadays ( no arranger functions) , tucked away in a corner. I keep it mainly for my old collection of Disk Orchestra disks. I used to also run a Dom 30 with the Disklavier.
Bringing back fond memories.

No, I have never gigged, music's just been a hobby of mine for many years.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:

I remember seeing and playing the Technics KN-800 (I'm pretty sure that's the model)...I also remember thinking how advanced it was at the time...I believe it had features like ON BASS chording (you could play slash chords like F/G, or C/E ) and PCM sounds...I don't think Roland or Yamaha had those features, at the least the former one) and also the styles were simple, but were they ever well programmed.

You had a Disklavier? Awesome...remember having to adjust for the 500ms delay?

There was a control on the piano, just for that purpose.

I was at the showcase for the very first one (a grand)...it had a little wagon (looked like a heater) that held the electronics.

A lot of recording studios still use them.

Do you play gigs?

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 11-14-2009).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#275709 - 11/15/09 01:48 PM Re: Why an arranger?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Hi Ian,
I think it may have been the 1000.
The card system looks familiar.

best wishes
Rikki

Rikki ... are you referring to the technics KN1000 ? .. if so, that's not it ... I still have the KN1000 ... 61 keys, floppy disk drive ...
t.

#275710 - 11/15/09 02:22 PM Re: Why an arranger?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I first saw a guy in Columbus, MO doing a single with a huge Lowry organ in 1975. I went home and bought a similar one a Symphonic something or other. It must have weighed a ton. I later got a Contempo 80 Lowrey and I remember thinking it was the last thing I'd ever have to buy because it sounded so good.
Then I switch to Yamaha organs in about 1980. I had a full size Chevy Van and could barely get all my stuff in it, including Leslies, Amps, speakers, etc.
The first arranger I saw was a Yamaha PSR 50 or 60. I got one, and a DX7, and a drum machine and a piano module and midied them all together. This cut about 500 pounds from my rig.
Then came PSR 70, 6100, 6300, 510, 620, 640, 740, 8000, 9000, 2000, 2100, Tyros, T2, S900, sprinkled in with Technics KN800, 1000, 2000, 3000 and 5000. Later came Rowland G800, Solton X1, Ketron SD1, SD5, Midjay, Roland G70, E50, E80 and Audya.
Someone stop me before I get out of control.
DonM

#275711 - 11/15/09 02:49 PM Re: Why an arranger?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Then I switch to Yamaha organs in about 1980. I had a full size Chevy Van and could barely get all my stuff in it, including Leslies, Amps, speakers, etc.
DonM

Hey, Don...ya gotta spend that loot on something(besides golf).

I special ordered a custom Yamaha C-605 (I was teaching for Yamaha then, and had a tiny bit of drag)...it was a portabilized version...still weighed about as much, but disassembled so that it took up less space in my big old Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser station wagon.

Here's what the keyboard looked like.

The lid actually became the stand/support...I don't think there were many of these ever imported into Canada.

I ended up selling it to a student...don't know where it is now, but you can bet it's probably still working...they were made pretty tough.

Strange when we think back at the stuff we cobbled together, and now, we can get it all and much more in one mid-line (or less) arranger.

Not to mention the money we save...to spend on more things.

I'm just as out of control as you.

#275712 - 11/15/09 04:10 PM Re: Why an arranger?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:

The first arranger I saw was a Yamaha PSR 50 or 60. I got one, and a DX7, and a drum machine and a piano module and midied them all together. This cut about 500 pounds from my rig.
Then came PSR 70, 6100, 6300, 510, 620, 640, 740, 8000, 9000, 2000, 2100, Tyros, T2, S900, sprinkled in with Technics KN800, 1000, 2000, 3000 and 5000. Later came Rowland G800, Solton X1, Ketron SD1, SD5, Midjay, Roland G70, E50, E80 and Audya.
DonM

Oops too late.
Rumor has it that you still have about half of that stuff in your garage, at Hanks, Semi-live's and Ernest's. Probably just rumor, huh?
Eddie

#275713 - 11/15/09 05:24 PM Re: Why an arranger?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Ian, speaking of Olds cruisers..I purchased a 1969 Vista Cruiser that was used in the Miss America pageant in Atlantic City NJ.

There was a certain attraction that I couldn't resist buying it..Being 26 at the time...

The Vista Cruiser from the Pageant was maroon with wood-grain sides..I will look for the actual pics..I still have them ..but here is a Internet pic of the Vista Cruiser..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 11-15-2009).]

#275714 - 11/15/09 06:25 PM Re: Why an arranger?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Ian, speaking of Olds cruisers..I purchased a 1969 Vista Cruiser that was used in the Miss America pageant in Atlantic City NJ.

There was a certain attraction that I couldn't resist buying it..Being 26 at the time...

The Vista Cruiser from the Pageant was maroon with wood-grain sides..I will look for the actual pics..I still have them ..but here is a Internet pic of the Vista Cruiser..

I know..that was a 1965 Vista pictured..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 11-15-2009).]

The Vista Cruiser had the little glass windshield in the roof....cool....neat car.

My Olds was a '74 wagon based on the big Ninety-Eight....B-I-G car...455 V8, and wood grain sides, and a powered clam-shell tailgate/window....it was the only wagon big enough to carry the organ and the two Yamaha powered speakers(the ones with the white speaker cones).

Couldn't possibly own one today as it drank gas at such an abominable rate...in fact, it used so much fuel, the guy who owned the local filling station actually broke down and cried like a baby when I sold it.

Ian

#275715 - 11/15/09 09:45 PM Re: Why an arranger?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Ian, I had the Buick (Roadmaster)version (1974)..same specs.. I replaced that one with a 1978 Buick LeSabre wagon (One of the best vehicles I have owned)...Plenty of room..14-15 MPG...

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online