SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#274161 - 10/21/09 12:53 PM Re: How do YOU play Green Onions?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've never cared for Green Onions, it is a tune that goes nowhere. It has a catchy little phrase but after the first several bars, I'm ready for something else. I have played the tune in the past (wrongly I might add) but now cringe when sitting in with a group and someone suggests playing it.

As for the video, did anyone else catch the fact that several times when he says 'Fifths' he is actually playing a 'Fourth' and when he shows the drawbar registration of 808808008 that he also says he uses percussion. The top drawbar drops out when percussion is activated. This can be internally changed to another drawbar if desired, but I don't think that is the case here.

As for a real Hammond versus the many clones, there is nothing like sitting at a real Hammond. Between the mechanical aspects of the tone generator and the key contact system and the old tube circuitry, an original Hammond is a living, breathing instrument with tons of subtleties that has yet to be achieved within todays digital circuitry. And to say that any arranger or workstation keyboard can come close to duplicating that sound, those words could only come from a person who has never known or has forgot what a real Hammond sounds like or how it feels to play one. Even though instruments like the current Hammond-Suzuki instruments, or the Nord, or the many others out there, and even some arrangers/workstations can produce a sound that may sometime even fool a Hammond aficionado, I assure you that the person doing the playing is missing out on a huge part of the Hammond experience.

My first Hammond was an M3 through a Leslie 145 back in 1973. Since then I have owned 3 B3's w/122's, a B2 w/TrekII perc w/147, a BCV w/147, a XB3/122XB (still have) and I also own and use for gigs the XK3 Pro System with a Leslie 3300. I'm no expert on the Hammond organ, but I do know quite a bit about them and certainly enough to realize why the real thing is still a sought after piece of yesteryear.

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
LearnMyKeyboard
JazzItUp Band
The Modulators

#274162 - 10/21/09 12:58 PM Re: How do YOU play Green Onions?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I'm not assuming anything, Donny.... just repeating what YOU write. Now if that is not knowing squat, I'm afraid you have to blame the source

#274163 - 10/21/09 01:01 PM Re: How do YOU play Green Onions?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I'm not assuming anything, Donny.... just repeating what YOU write. Now if that is not knowing squat, I'm afraid you have to blame the source

Thank you another informative reply..

#274164 - 10/21/09 01:22 PM Re: How do YOU play Green Onions?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
To me the whole Hammond sound thing is a bit overrated... But to froth at the mouth every time Hammond B3 is mentioned is ridiculous & certainly only a sentimental memory of a bygone era that many of us lived through....but it's time to move on I would say.

I don't know what to say, Donny. I'm flabbergasted at your remarks. Would ou say the same for the accordion? I could definitely do a "power solo" gig with just a B3 (and maybe a SR16 drum machine for funs). Hammond-Suzuki never really marketed their Hammond arrangers in the US, but the ones I saw were something that I would have liked to play too. I sold my M-100 for the price of the 145 Leslie that went with it - big mistake. Any of those original Hammond models are still worth whatever they're going for. They are classic instruments.

#274165 - 10/21/09 01:39 PM Re: How do YOU play Green Onions?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Just turning on, or more accurately, "starting" a Hammond tone-wheel organ, is an experience...like starting an old car.

The Hammond sound itself, is definitely timeless...I upgraded to the S910 mainly because the B-3 sound was far more accurate than the S900's...and, no, it doesn't sound "exactly" like a Hammond, but it works for me, and it's only 400 lbs lighter.

#274166 - 10/21/09 01:47 PM Re: How do YOU play Green Onions?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I'll stop with this - http://audioo.com/t/groovin--booker-t-and-the-mgs/5786f028e6c8132/

It's Utopia for me - a blend of the Rascals and Booker T. It identifies me and as much of my pop style as any one song could do. I sold a lot of organs playing that song and kept my trio playing for many years with it too. Whether you like the B3 or Booker T is irrelevent to me - this is money.

#274167 - 10/21/09 01:54 PM Re: How do YOU play Green Onions?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Thanks Cassp...terrific tune, and a favorite of mine, too.

I was trying to think of what describes a Hammond sound, and it's almost like it's "human", as in the human voice...it cries, it moans, it shrieks, it has many facets, all hard to describe.

Earthy, and natural...even though it is electronic.

#274168 - 10/21/09 02:04 PM Re: How do YOU play Green Onions?
124 Offline

I drove an M102 for many years and for you folks who haven't had that experience, then you need to get your hands on a real Hammond at least once before you die. Take heed of your Uncle Ian and Uncle Dave.

Well, it seems Green Onions is a love it or hate it item judging by some of the reactions on here. Put me in the 'love it' camp. I'll still play it at the drop of a hat.

I'm sorry that it attaches memories of a troubled time for chas. For me, it attaches memories of a wonderful youth and, as chas says, that's life. For what it's worth, one of my cherished memories is that of a night playing at a USAF base and getting a standing O from a largely black crowd for my rendition of Green Onions. I guess they were feeling the groove as much as I was - and feeling the groove is what it's all about on that tune.

#274169 - 10/21/09 02:06 PM Re: How do YOU play Green Onions?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You know, why anyone is flabbergasted at what someone that even confesses they play little, make no bones that they don't really know how to play many of the instruments they pontificate about (oh yes, there's that word again!), and is primarily a singer who self accompanies as basically as possible says about PLAYING beats me...

I'll hang on every word Donny says about singing, entertaining a crowd, hat choice, etc., (things he has demonstrated great ability for) but let's face it... Shouldn't he be able to PLAY pretty well before we take any of this with more than polite tolerance?

Donny keeps baiting me for an arranger only performance (apparently not happy that the ones I HAVE posted are a little dated )... Maybe before we get worked up about anything else he posts about PLAYING, perhaps we could bait him for some unaccompanied playing, or maybe something in the way of a live band where he is actually playing the keyboard all in realtime, rather than triggering someone ELSE'S playing...?

You know, in the spirit of fairness, and all that...

If I were you, I wouldn't take any of my advice about singing Not my strong point..! (Basically, why I don't even offer the advice or opiion!)

And, listening to Donny's PLAYING (not his singing), I have a feeling the same principle applies..

#274170 - 10/21/09 03:03 PM Re: How do YOU play Green Onions?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by 124:

Well, it seems Green Onions is a love it or hate it item judging by some of the reactions on here.

Naw, I think it's mostly the ORGAN PLAYERS (as in guys that identify themselves primarily as organ players) that don't care much for the tune (I'm excluding Donny as I think he just doesn't like this kind of music - FWIW, neither do I).

Quote:

I'm sorry that it attaches memories of a troubled time for chas. For me, it attaches memories of a wonderful youth...

It WAS a troubled time for a large percentage of America's population - You were lucky enough to live in the 'other' America. BTW, it's not the tune, it's the symbolism of the video presentation.

Quote:

For what it's worth, one of my cherished memories is that of a night playing at a USAF base and getting a standing O from a largely black crowd for my rendition of Green Onions

I once got a standing O for my rendition of Havah Nagilah at a Bar Mitzvah, too (I didn't book that gig ). I think it's the element of surprise. One, that you knew it, and two, that you had the balls to show up .

Look, music is such a subjective thing. Booker T may get voted into some music hall of fame or other but it won't be by a panel of organists. I know some gospel church organist that could smoke him. You need to re-evaluate whether it's a good tune or whether it just brings back a happy time in your life.

And speaking of symbolism, the 'B', just by it's presence, holds out the promise of some great music about to be made. Can anyone say that about ANY arranger or workstation? It has looked Father Time in the eye and kicked his butt. If I walk into a club and see a 'B3' on stage, I'm probably going to at least check out the first set. I can't think of any other keyboard that would get that same reaction out of me.

chas

I don't know about that 'Northern Hammond' though, I think Ian just made that up .

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online