SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#272861 - 10/03/09 07:26 AM Re: Are Bose that good?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Jim,

The best advice I have is to create a midi file using YOUR keyboard, something that will play for about three minutes. Set up the system, play the midi file using the keyboard, and walk through the venue. Set the keyboard's EQs accordingly and you'll be amazed.

As for audience size, my largest thus far has been about 250 people at an outdoor venue. It was a large courtyard measuring approximately 300' X 150'. I never had to turn the L1 Compact's master volume beyond the 12 O'clock position, while the keyboard's master volume was set at the 1 O'clock position.

I sincerely believe the biggest obstacle to overcome is living with modest volume levels. For me, having used conventional sound systems for several decades, I was comfortable with volume levels where monster speakers were blowing the windows out of the building so audience members sitting 75 feet away could hear what you were playing and singing. With the Bose system, this is no longer the case--everyone hears pretty much the same volume and the clarity is unmatched by any conventional sound system.

Ironically, even some of the old school DJs and KJs in my part of the world have made the switch to Bose L1s and L1 Compacts. And, these are guys and gals that do loads of weddings for younger audiences. The local GC guy told me he cannot keep the L1 and L1 Compacts in stock. They tend to go out the door the same day they arrive in the store. As for returns, he said it's extremely rare to have one returned because the person didn't like the sound.

Good luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#272862 - 10/03/09 07:43 AM Re: Are Bose that good?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Zuki, the best advice I can give you, is to try two Bose Compacts...that's what I did, and believe me, I am fussy about sound.

The stereo sweet spot is incredibly large, and, as Gary has already said, the biggest obstacle, is getting used to the modest sound levels, as they are perfectly sufficient, because of the Bosi's(?) ability to fill the room.

Yes, a tad more fuss, but, I feel it's worth it to use two, and retain stereo.

You can A/B one Compact vs. two, and make your own judgement, but if you're like me, and are particular about your sound, as well as wanting to hear your PA-800 the way it was designed to be heard (in stereo), you might be very tempted to go with a pair.

Unlike arranger keyboards, you will only need to buy a great PA once.

Also, you will automatically have a back-up, as you can always use one system in an emergency.

Ian

#272863 - 10/03/09 08:25 AM Re: Are Bose that good?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I think my views are well known already, but I will echo what Ian and Gary said.
I'm using two Compacts, and love it. Diners can (and do) sit four feet from one of my speakers and don't complain. I can also be heard just about as clearly in the back of the room. Waiters can take orders. I even have people take cell phone calls sometimes without getting up and leaving the room.
When I want to rev it up later in the evening, no problem. They will rock pretty good when you crank them.
I've only used by conventional L1's one time since I got the Compacts, and it turned out that time the big units were unnecessary.
In fact I have sold them.
DonM

#272864 - 10/03/09 08:51 AM Re: Are Bose that good?
kla4 Offline

Loc: NL
I used to have both JBL EONS & Mackie SRM450's who sound pretty good. However the Bose L1's (model 1) and my sub (dB SUB15) give the best sound impression I ever experienced. (No need for monitor speakers or in-ears)
Just put them 2-3 meters behind us, great sound and no mike feedback, not even at high sound levels.

#272865 - 10/03/09 10:02 AM Re: Are Bose that good?
Dnj Offline

I have been doing it this way with great results..... Most small gigs, up to about 125pp I use one Bose compact...med 150-250 I use the Bose Compact and one Mackie Thump powered 15" set on the floor hooked to the Bose external out...this acts like a Sub & adds plenty of bottom end for filling up the room, the Bose top pole hits the back of the room.... and for my bigger venues 300-500pp I hook up the Bose in the middle of the stage and add Two Mackie Thump powered 15"'s daisy chained on each side...the sound is incredible to say the least....crisp highs & super deep lows to make em dance.All bases covered all lightweight.

#272866 - 10/03/09 11:57 AM Re: Are Bose that good?
--Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
Quote:
I would like to hear comments from conventional users too.

Well, you have.

I think every one of us has used conventional stuff first.

BTW -- I run a Mackie mixer into the two L-1 compacts when more inputs are needed. Works fine.

--Mac
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

#272867 - 10/03/09 01:00 PM Re: Are Bose that good?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Jim - I think you've hit the motherlode of SZ Compact lovers. It seems each of us has different music needs, yet the Bose Compact fulfills them all. That's a pretty good endoresment if you ask me. Personally, I have no need for stereo, so I can get by with one Compact. I keep a EV SXb120 handy for imaginary large places. If you are not convinced by words or your own ears, then certainly go with what works best for you.

#272868 - 10/03/09 01:38 PM Re: Are Bose that good?
zuki Offline

OK, thanks to all - one unit at a time, but will try again. I gave up on the 800 once and sure am glad I reconsidered

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#272869 - 10/03/09 02:11 PM Re: Are Bose that good?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You've already ruled out mono, zuki. Preferred even the Podium's to the Compact in mono...

Bite the bullet, get two Compacts, move on to more important things

#272870 - 10/03/09 08:29 PM Re: Are Bose that good?
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
You've already ruled out mono, zuki. Preferred even the Podium's to the Compact in mono...

Bite the bullet, get two Compacts, move on to more important things

Will get 2 in time, but remember, I'm married with 3 children

For example, I told the wife today I was going back to Bose and she kindly replied "do you have to talk about that on my birthday?"

[This message has been edited by zuki (edited 10-03-2009).]

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online