SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#272851 - 10/02/09 07:39 PM Are Bose that good?
zuki Offline

Are (2) Bose Compacts that much better than a good quality pair of powered monitors (Mackie, JBL, etc) at 2x the price? Can you elaborate why?

I unloaded the MackieSRM150 and probably the Podiums soon and need to make a purchase.
Thanks for replies from everyone that will............

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#272852 - 10/02/09 08:08 PM Re: Are Bose that good?
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Especially for a single act, IMHO, they are "that" good.
Ciao,
Jerry

#272853 - 10/02/09 08:48 PM Re: Are Bose that good?
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
Yes ..... Yes ..... Yes!!! I have two.
I had Yorkville E10p speakers they sounded great ... L1 compact Better.
Had the 200 watt 10" subs to go with them sounded great. Total weight 168 lbs.
L1 compact 58 lbs. The Yorkville set up was louder (no wonder at a total of 1100 watts) but not better. If you are a vocalist you will really love the Bose. And if you move your stuff alot, your back will "Really" love the Bose!!!

[This message has been edited by JCkeeys (edited 10-02-2009).]

#272854 - 10/02/09 09:34 PM Re: Are Bose that good?
Dnj Offline

Zuki dont you already have a Bose compact? IMO one is fine for what you do at NH's...
SUM the L/R signal and enjoy.

#272855 - 10/02/09 10:29 PM Re: Are Bose that good?
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
Well, I auditioned the Bose compact recently, looking to reduce the weight carried on gigs. I have the L1 model II, which is not "light" when you consider the 4 separate components to lug around. To my ear(s), the compact was no match for the model II. Yes, less costly and lighter weight; but I'd rather carry a little more weight with a much bigger, fuller sound on the material I do. Give me a few more years and I'll be singing a different tune on size and weight. I'm almost there, now. Sure wish Bose sold a stereo unit, especially for the benefit of backing tracks that are mixed to stereo.

#272856 - 10/03/09 05:27 AM Re: Are Bose that good?
--Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
*No more long-throw horns or loaded woofer cabinets that put the sound out further in front of the show than most clubs have the length or depth to allow.

*No more horn "hoot".

*No more separate monitor system, the performer(s) hear exactly what the audience hears. (This is a biggie IMO)

*No more complaints about being too loud from management. Waiters and waitresses can actually hear orders and talk easily to customers *while the show is going on*.

*This one is absolutely subjective and is very likely due to the fact that for the moment, comparison is to other more conventional PA systems used with other acts, but I've never gotten more compliments about the sound from people who work in the scene day in and day out, the aforementioned waiters and waitresses, bartenders, managers, etc. And these folks are usually quite jaded about such things.

The above report is based on the use of a pair of Bose L-1 Compacts. A good friend of mine who lives in another city also bought a pair of 'em after hearing my talk of them over the phone. He reported the very same things that I report above. We are both jazz based acts. Singers are absolutely knocked out by our systems.

--Mac
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

#272857 - 10/03/09 06:03 AM Re: Are Bose that good?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Having run my sound thru Mackie, Roland, Peavey, Toa and others, I must say my one Compact would certainly not fill some of the spaces I played in my younger days. But for my present needs and maybe even for past needs (5-6 yrs) the Compact is surprisingly powerful with a full sound.

Take a look at the unit, a 14" main speaker stick with 6 small speakers and a smallish sub unit with an 8" speaker thru a 150 watt amplifier. How many of us would run out for a standard unit like that? I trust not many. But somehow Bose has put together a package that has excellent sound and projection quality, yet weighs only 29 lbs. Is it expensive? Yes, definitely but I haven't read one complaint from any of the owners here - can't say that for all the other smaller PA owners.

Lastly, I told myself that I'd never pay that kind of money for a Bose L1 system, especially just for me and my smaller venues. The Compact lets me play a little stronger without ever hearing a complaint about loudness from any of the seniors I play for. The bass is very sufficient without being overbearing for these groups of 30-100 and I am confident I could handle a larger space and crowd with ease. And the fact that I can carry it easier than a monitor is a bonus.

Yeah, I've come to believe that Bose is/are that good.

#272858 - 10/03/09 06:04 AM Re: Are Bose that good?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Jim-

Again, we play many of the same accounts. We also play the same kinds of music. Our biggest different is that I do Clubs, Dances, etc. on the weekends and last we talked, you don't really cover those kinds of gigs.

My sound was always thought to be very good when I used a conventional PA, based on feedback from my clients. I switched to a single L1 last December and by Spring I was getting compliments that my sound was even better.

With one, I'm obviously not in stereo.

Its one trip in from the car and one trip back. Set up/tear down takes about 20 minutes.

My back pain has vanished...

Sonically, it seems clearer to me. There's details I've heard from my kb and even vocals I didn't notice before.

Do I miss a stereo PA? In a small way, but not enough to consider going back. I think 2 compacts would make for a very very nice sound, but I'm not sure its what you're looking for.

I would try a single compact again for longer than you auditioned it last time. You get 45 days to return it. Try it for a month, with a tone engine, and THEN see how you feel overall.

As always, good luck!

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 10-03-2009).]

#272859 - 10/03/09 06:36 AM Re: Are Bose that good?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Let me add too that EQ'ing is almost a thing of the past. The Compact has no real EQ controls, everything is done pre-Compact if need be. I did a quick EQ adjustment on my s900 before yesterday's job and that's all it took - no more adjusting of volumes, gains, EQ's for different venues...

Using a T1 tone engine might really ramp up the sound too - I'm thinking it would, for sure. Bill uses one with his L1 and I think it makes a big difference. It handles dynamic changes well without being boomy or needing compression.

#272860 - 10/03/09 07:11 AM Re: Are Bose that good?
zuki Offline

Thanks fellas.Hmmm...not seen one reply about going a quality Mack,EON route!

I was thinking EON 510 with covers for the same price and they come in at 17 lbs.

My objective is to sound the Very best I can - super detail for audience ears.

So it appears that ONE Bose would rival a pair of conventional. From this, I'm assuming Bosi (as Mason coined) would be incredibly superior in sound?

I would like to hear comments from conventional users too.

Thanks everyone

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online