SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#271797 - 09/22/09 09:06 PM Re: Before I Do This
zuki Offline

Thank you gentlemen

I put the sgl Podium behind me on the last job tonight and it gagged me. There seems to be a big void in the overall instrument balance, almost like listening through a vacuum. The only thing that was acceptable were the guitars (Everly Bros stuff, etc), but the pianos, drums and all else seemed shrill and run together. I really hated the way I sounded tonight....

Now Cass and Gary, you are correct, there is a huge difference in quality vs Bose and the 45 days will tell the story. I'm willing to give it a shot. And Gary, I can get my stereo kicks from the PA800 speakers I truly believe the audience really would never know.

Ian, would love to have a stereo Compact system, but my objective is to keep the load light and quick.

Tony, sorry to confuse you even more Let me know what you decide!

Diki, you're way over my head - speak English please

Mac - 2 Bose systems and I'll be waking up from YOUR couch for morning therapy.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#271798 - 09/22/09 10:29 PM Re: Before I Do This
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I've been using two Compacts for several months now. I guess because I CAN. There was absolutely zero difference in audience response when I went from one to two, but I like it so what the heck.
I've also played a few times where I moved my stuff and took both Compacts. Setup time is still very short. It only takes about one or two additional minutes to set up the second system.
I also like the fact that if one system goes out, and have a backup plan in place. (Just use the other).
I will say this: I much prefer using two Compacts to one of the original Bose L1s.
DonM

#271799 - 09/23/09 02:36 AM Re: Before I Do This
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Jim-

You and I play a lot of the same places in and around Cincy/Dayton. I'm familiar with a lot of the rooms you play. Up until last Christmas, I set up a conventional PA for all my jobs. Two 15's on poles behind me crossed to aim at my head.

It sounded glorious...

Last December, I switched to an L1 with a tone engine. Did it sound different to me? Yes. Not in a bad way...it was clearer, I felt like I was hearing details from the T2 and even my vocals that I hadn't been before.

Since that time, I've simply lost track on how many times clients have commented on how much they like my sound. I've always gotten good feedback that way, but it spiked up after I switched.

I agree with Gary and Don. I think a single Bose compact would really be worth a hard look.

Good luck however this plays out for you...If you need a hand, remember I'm right up the road...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#271800 - 09/23/09 04:08 AM Re: Before I Do This
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Yea go for it it's only money.

True, in a sense, Donny, as good gear always pays for itself rather quickly, but perhaps Zuki is better off going only with one Compact system (which will work satisfactorily)...and it may be wise that he does not try two in stereo, as from then on, he won't be quite as happy with the single system.

That's what happened to me.

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 09-23-2009).]

#271801 - 09/23/09 08:15 AM Re: Before I Do This
zuki Offline

Thanks all. I have this weird feeling that I won't like the Bose Compact. I'm going to take both Podium 8s today and really pay attention to stereo vs the mono the last few days. I'm still interested in the new Roland stereo PA in a box coming late fall. Appreciate the feedback.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#271802 - 09/23/09 09:14 AM Re: Before I Do This
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Thanks all. I have this weird feeling that I won't like the Bose Compact. I'm going to take both Podium 8s today and really pay attention to stereo vs the mono the last few days. I'm still interested in the new Roland stereo PA in a box coming late fall. Appreciate the feedback.

1. I had that fear that after paying all that money the Bose wouldn't match my expectations. Well, it exceeded my expectations. I can't say that the Bose sound is DIFFERENT, it's not; it BETTER. As Bill said, you'll hear more clearly; possibly even little things in your styles that you never heard before. I think you'll like he Bose.

2. Again, the stereo from a regular set of speakers will not be the same as anything from a Bose. You could prefer the standard stereo to a mono Bose, but I think the quality of the Bose sound will win you over.

3. The new Roland portable PA will not be what you expect. What I've read turned me off completely; and it's gonna be decently expensive, to boot.

Best of luck to you Zuki. My experience using the Compact is that I set it down, take off the cover, add the columns, plug it in, plug in my keyboard (with mic) and that's it. And it probably takes as long as it took you to read this to do all that. Plus it's one unit of 25 lbs. and a sling bag weighing 5lb. For the most part I'm a penny-pincher, but buying the Bose Copact was definitely worth the extra bucks for me.

#271803 - 09/23/09 09:31 AM Re: Before I Do This
zuki Offline

Thanks again Cass and Bill. Now I await the UPS truck You all have me excited. DonM's comment makes the best sense for me: Since the audience couldn't tell the difference, I might as well stick with one unit, but enjoy the stereo field that I hear from my keyboard speakers. I do like the notion of the unit placed behind me and it did sound very awesome on that one job the other night.

Cass, what didn't you like about the Roland spec?

#271804 - 09/23/09 11:00 AM Re: Before I Do This
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/020045.html has everything we know so far...
http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=1025&ParentId=72 is the Roland site.

My concerns are that this looks a lot like 2 CM-30's with some added EFX put into one box. Now the CM-30's are fine in themselves, but this is slated for the $800 market, maybe $700 street. I doubt the speakers will be able to deliver the bass as you want it. Roland never gives an output wattage, so I'm guessing it's in their usual 30-50 watt range. This looks like an offshute of their new street cube technology - loud and brassy with batteries, ala Juno-Di. Roland says: "Powerful high-quality stereo sound for audiences of up to 80 people." That doesn't sound like much. And judging by the model number BA = battery amp, 330 = one or two 30 watt amps.
I would be happy to be proven wrong, but my gut feeling is that this Roland is too expensive and may not meet expectations. I hope I'm wrong.

Want Roland stereo - check out their AC60 and 90 amps... http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=899

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 09-23-2009).]

#271805 - 09/23/09 11:22 AM Re: Before I Do This
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Zuki, you've received advice from many who gig for a living. I do not and in the big picture, I've only been playing gigs just about 4 years. Never did gig in my youth either. So I'm not as qualified as those who are in the trenches day in and day out.

Here's what I think. For many years I played my portable keyboards thru my home stereo system ( 20 year old Denon power amp) and thru a set of Klipsch floor speakers. I don't know the model numbers but when I made the purchase as I recall it cost me about $1200.

I enjoyed what I would classify as "Hi-Fidelity" sound when playing various keyboards thru the set up. Then 4 years ago I inherited a Peavey keyboard amp, then bought KC 150, then a Barbetta 31c, then the CM30 cube monitors. I could never find that "Hi-Fidelity" sound I was looking for. Once I bought the Bose L1 everything changed. I finally got what I was looking for, the best sound I've heard hands down of any keyboard amp I owned and it more closely resembled my home system. When the compact came along I read the postings by those who are in the trenches everyday, they sold me. I'm sold on the compact and would not want to be without it. When I'm not gigging and it's set up at home, we play an iPod thru it and enjoy great sound that carries throughout the house. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 09-23-2009).]

#271806 - 09/23/09 11:55 AM Re: Before I Do This
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Asking for some advice. A lot of parties I do go like this. Live music and voacals on my G100 for the first 1-2 hrs., then DJ the heavey dance stuff from there on with a few live numbers thrown in.
Would two Bose compacts handle this?-mainly the kickin bass of the CD dance tracks.

Thanks

Bill in NJ

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online