SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#271730 - 09/22/09 03:05 PM OT: I have to ...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
... 'gush' a little as a grandfather ...

Our grandson Michael, 9 years old, just starting taking stand-up bass in music class ... the school has a band made up of 4th and 5th graders and they give 2 concerts during the year - Christmas and end of year ...
He seems VERY interested and has practiced every day since he got the bass ...

Our grandson Anthony, 10 years old, told us that he got a 'call-back' for auditions to be in his school play "Guys and Dolls" ... he sang the try out song "Guys and Dolls" for us over the telephone last night and we were really surprised at how he stayed on key singing a cappella ...

The reason I am so excited is that our daughter took piano and our son took bass, both only for a short time and eventually stopped playing ...this is the first real attempt any of the grandkids has made towards music other than our granddaughters taking dance and one of them playing the snare drum in the school band.

Perhaps another musician will will come out of the family yet ...

Being a grandparent is the BEST!!! ...

t.

#271731 - 09/22/09 03:34 PM Re: OT: I have to ...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Although I have no kids of my own, living vicariously through my friends' kids is making up for it. I LOVE 'second generation' music making.

A good friend of mine and long time bass player from Memphis, one of his kids has a band coming down to Destin next month and they asked if I would join them on stage to play keys. This is such a thrill, as I remember them when they were born, and growing up, and just starting to learn to play. Now I get to gig with them The wheel keeps turning... Hopefully, one day I'll gig with THEIR kids!

Tony, I can appreciate how you feel. I bet it won't be long before he is joining you on stage..!

#271732 - 09/22/09 03:51 PM Re: OT: I have to ...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Awesome, Tony!

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#271733 - 09/22/09 03:54 PM Re: OT: I have to ...
tony mads usa Offline

Diki ... you may (or not) recall in July I mentioned that another 'former' band member and I were doing a musical tribute to a band member who passed away last year ... well the tribute recipient's grandson (15 years young) played drums with us that night ... he did a GREAT job and we were thrilled to have him... His grandfather would have been SO proud ...

I also had the extreme pleasure of playing a couple of gigs with my son before he went to college and stopped playing ...

Bill ... thank you .. it does feel great ...

t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 09-22-2009).]

#271734 - 09/24/09 08:55 AM Re: OT: I have to ...
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
We're not gigging right now, due to an injury, but having a son who is a killer bass player and a grandson who plays the "skins" is GREAT!

R.

#271735 - 09/24/09 10:06 AM Re: OT: I have to ...
tony mads usa Offline

I always preach 'not to envy', but I ENVY you in a lot of ways, cap'n ...
t.

#271736 - 09/28/09 01:57 PM Re: OT: I have to ...
tony mads usa Offline

Well, grandson Anthony got the lead as 'Nathan Detroit' in the play ...
wow ... he gets to play Sinatra's role ...
t.

#271737 - 09/28/09 06:42 PM Re: OT: I have to ...
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Congratulations gramps. : D: D: Looks like the apple didn't fall far from the tree--the grandkids are taking a page from grandpop's book.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online