SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#268619 - 08/19/09 10:02 AM Re: What do you think of the Korg OASYS
Bachus Offline

I personally think that the development of the Oasys will pay of in the future...

As many things developed for the Oasys will slowly find their way to their workstations and arrangers over the next few years.

(Keep in mind that everything is just software and easilly to re-use.) Oasys was a good idea to earn some money back from their research and probably was never meant to be a big selling success, but instead is more of a marketing gimmick and a tool for building an even better brandname.

For those that don't know, Oasys is discontinued because some of the 3rd party hardware parts weren't available anymore...

Best things of the Oasys are probably
-Sound Quallity

Still its an awesome instrument and its even less then a Wersi

http://keyszone.boards.net

#268620 - 08/19/09 10:24 AM Re: What do you think of the Korg OASYS
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Korg OASYS (76 Notes) €6999

Wersi Ikarus (76 Notes) €4990 (Discontinued, so last known price)

Wersi Abacus (61 Notes) €5450

Wersi Pegasus Wing (76 Notes) €3990

#268621 - 08/19/09 10:29 AM Re: What do you think of the Korg OASYS
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi Bachus

Yeah, auto accompaniment is just not fluid like sequencing is, so I wouldn't have any need for auto accompaniment in my work.

Regards
James

#268622 - 08/19/09 10:35 AM Re: What do you think of the Korg OASYS
Irishacts Offline

Quote:
I personally think that the development of the Oasys will pay of in the future...

It already has.

The OASYS was first seen in 1994 and only a few prototypes where made. Due to the price it would have cost if it went into production, it was never released as it stood. Instead it was released in an array of products.

All the following items exsist because of the original OASYS project.

Prophecy
Z1
Trinity
WaveDrum
MOSS
OASYS of today.

Regards
James.

#268623 - 08/19/09 10:37 AM Re: What do you think of the Korg OASYS
Irishacts Offline

Have a read of this.

This is where OASYS started long long time ago.
http://www.vanille-media.de/site/index.php/musician/korg-oasys/

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 08-19-2009).]

#268624 - 08/21/09 08:07 AM Re: What do you think of the Korg OASYS
Machetero Offline

Loc: Tampa, Florida, USA
James,

Thinking to purchase an Oasys, Know a place where I can get the Oasys 88 for US$4000.00 or the Oasys 76 for US$3000.00.

Question:

1-It will be a good keyboard for a Church?
2- Some body say to me that when using KARMA, you can se it up that the melody can follow you chords, like an arrenger (PA2x). True ?

#268625 - 08/21/09 08:29 AM Re: What do you think of the Korg OASYS
Bachus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Machetero:
James,

Thinking to purchase an Oasys, Know a place where I can get the Oasys 88 for US$4000.00 or the Oasys 76 for US$3000.00.

The Normal price would be something like $6000 for the 88 and $5000 for the 76.

I expect these prices to rise soon, as it is still the best sounding hardware workstation and its in high demand while the numbers for sale are really low.
When people realise that there is nothing comparable to an Oasys for the next few years the prices will start rising despite the crisis.
The only thing coming close are the VST based instruments, but they are not yet on the professional level of the Oasys... atleast untill Openlabs presents then GEN6 instruments including KARMA and with 76 or 88 keys, which will not be anytime soon...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#268626 - 08/21/09 09:41 AM Re: What do you think of the Korg OASYS
Irishacts Offline

Quote:
James,

Question:

2- Some body say to me that when using KARMA, you can se it up that the melody can follow you chords, like an arrenger (PA2x). True ?

Synthoid just replied to you over on KORG Forums.

Regards
James

#268627 - 08/21/09 12:52 PM Re: What do you think of the Korg OASYS
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Question:

2- Some body say to me that when using KARMA, you can set it up that the melody can follow you chords, like an arranger (PA2x). True ?

Personally, I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole for a church use. You have to understand that this is a VERY complex, VERY powerful WS, and while perhaps you yourself might have the technical knowledge to run it, the majority of people that play in church bands wouldn't. So, if for some reason, you couldn't make the service, nobody else would be able to sit down at it and make it do what they want easily.

Secondly, while there is a DEGREE of arranger similarity with Karma, it truly is a totally different beast. An arranger is going to have a large selection of styles that are appropriate for church use, the Oasys is going to have a large number of Karma patterns more appropriate for a rave!

An arranger is DESIGNED to be simple to use, simple to operate live, and simple to make great sounding music on it. The Oasys is NOT. It is one of the best sounding pieces of gear out there, but it isn't something you'd want to sit down at a service and play on if you weren't intimately familiar with how it operates.

If you need something like an arranger for your church, I'd say... go get an arranger!

#268628 - 08/21/09 02:12 PM Re: What do you think of the Korg OASYS
Irishacts Offline

Hi Diki.

Quote:
Secondly, while there is a DEGREE of arranger similarity with Karma, it truly is a totally different beast.

From what I gather the focus doesn't seem to be on Arranger Functions because of the fact that he will be playing with a drummer and guitarist. It's more about the rhythmic pads, soundscapes, the sequencer and the option to be able to run patterns if need be.

Quote:
the Oasys is going to have a large number of Karma patterns more appropriate for a rave!

Rave ?.
Feck, I didn't get anything like that with my OASYS See page 106 for the KARMA GE List. It's well balanced for all styles of music.
http://korg.com/uploads/Support/OASYS_VNL_v1_2_EJ3_633659387964450000.pdf

James

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 08-21-2009).]

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online