SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#268427 - 08/01/09 05:49 AM ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Announcing the August 2009 SZ eJam #3. This is not a contest but an expo of the various playing and presentation styles of our SynthZone members. We want to hear YOU. Participants are asked to record an mp3 or video version of one, or both of the following songs:

As Time Goes By - Herman Hupfeld
Jambalaya - Hank Williams

There are only three simple guidelines:

1. Record the song; upload to on an available internet site; post to this thread and include a link to the hosting site. Please include your ID, initials or name as part of your song title.

2. In your post please give us pertinent information, such as: instrument make, style, patches used, recording info, whatever...

3. Be polite to others. No badmouthing or sniping. If you can't be nice, please don't post.

You can play it instrumentally or with vocals, using your choice of instrument(s). Play it fancy or plain, straight or creative – you choose. Record it in one take with an antique tape recorder or in multi takes and tracks on Pro Tools – you choose.

Good luck. We’re looking forward to listening to YOUR rendition of the song(s).

Cass Pawlowski

#268428 - 08/02/09 07:06 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
Dnj Offline

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-21-2009).]

#268429 - 08/02/09 07:36 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
zuki Offline

Good job Donny! Man, they'd love that in the NH.

Do you have an 800 now?

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#268430 - 08/02/09 07:48 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
Dnj Offline

thanx Zuki......
I sold my Pa800 with reservations...I kinda miss it now for many reasons....but as they say.. C'est la Vie !

Hope to hear your version and many others soon.

#268431 - 08/02/09 10:19 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
cassp Offline

That's great Donny. It's good to have you back and to hear your vocals and keyboard work too. And if you'd like to sneak a version of Masquerade in here somewhere, we'd appreciate that too.

#268432 - 08/02/09 10:26 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
hey Donny - sonofagun - you stole my arrangement now I'm going to to try something different - or NOT - ...
I won't get to this for a couple of weeks because, appropriately enough, I'm headin' South ... but more on that in another thread ...
Great job Donny, as to be expected ..
t.

#268433 - 08/02/09 12:32 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
I'm going to to try something different - t.

Good luck, Tony. It's going to be a real challenge to make a song with two chords in it sound like anything other than......a song with two chords in it. BTW, if 'heading South' takes you anywhere near Atlanta, give me a holler. You can always get a steak and bottle of cheap chianti here. I'm getting closer and closer to that hip replacement decision so getting some first-hand info on what to expect would be great. Take care.

chas

#268434 - 08/02/09 12:44 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
Retired Offline

Loc: England
Hi, Donny,
Pleased your back.
Another great song to add to my
mp3 collection of great singers.

Fred Wren

#268435 - 08/02/09 01:07 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
124 Offline

http://www.box.net/index.php?rm=box_v2_mp3_player_shared&node=f_315933756&from_folder=1

Korg I30
Arranger Play mode
Recorded backing track, lead vocal, and wifey's harmony track through Korg ih harmonizer as separate tracks.

(oops, right folder this time, I think)

[This message has been edited by 124 (edited 08-02-2009).]

[This message has been edited by 124 (edited 08-02-2009).]

#268436 - 08/02/09 03:23 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
cgiles Offline

124, I'm very impressed. Very authentic-sounding and true to the spirit of the genre'. This, IMO, is how arrangers should be used; to capture the essence of and 'live feel' of the song and the genre'. Doesn't sound 'canned' at all. Great job. I'm also glad to see it was accomplished without benefit of the 'latest, greatest' toy. Not my favorite tune but I do love the authenticity of this performance.

chas

#268437 - 08/02/09 03:51 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
tony mads usa Offline

124 ... I agree with chas that this is a real nice job ... however, I didn't think the 'harmony' sounded 'live' ... that is my ONLY criticism ...
thnx for posting ..
t.

#268438 - 08/02/09 03:58 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
tony mads usa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Good luck, Tony. It's going to be a real challenge to make a song with two chords in it sound like anything other than......a song with two chords in it. BTW, if 'heading South' takes you anywhere near Atlanta, give me a holler. You can always get a steak and bottle of cheap chianti here. I'm getting closer and closer to that hip replacement decision so getting some first-hand info on what to expect would be great. Take care.

chas

chas ... Yes, when I said something different, I meant something like what 124 did ... guess now I'll have to try it as a bossa ...

unfortunately #1 - I REALLY appreciate the invitation and would love to have the opportunity to meet you in person and hear you play some jazz, but I am headed to a wedding in Dallas, ... after landing in Big D, my wife and I will be driving to Shreveport to visit DonM, then going back to Dallas ... after the wedding in Dallas, we will be driving to San Antonio for a couple of days, then flying back home ...

unfortunately #2 - I've had my knees replaced, not my hip (yet!!!), so I can't give you any advice on the hip ...

t.

#268439 - 08/02/09 10:32 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
124 Offline

Donny, thanks for your version of this old classic. I guess we're both on the same wavelength with this one. As chas noted, it's a two-chord number and there's not too much that can be done with it. Of course, someone will now prove me hopelessly wrong on that score.

Wow! Chas, Tony Mads, hope you can't see me blushing after such glowing praise. Coming from 'real' musicians, it's very appreciated.

I know this genre isn't your bag chas (mine neither, really) but I'm of the same thinking as you regarding how an arranger should be used. I didn't spend a lot of time on this, as I wanted it to sound a bit rough around the edges. Smooth and slick is okay sometimes, but I think that this genre is all the better for a more ragged feel.

Tony, I agree with your comments re. the harmony. I don't like blaming the tools, but I do think maybe the 'ih' is beginning to show its age as we become accustomed to the newer generation of harmonizers.

Thanks again, guys, for the listen and comments.

#268440 - 08/02/09 11:51 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Still a bit busy to do a brand new version, but at least this time, y'all picked a tune that I had already recorded..! Guess I'm in good company, here
http://www.roland-arranger.com/smf/index.php?topic=1150.0

Recorded on the G1000, Still a great arranger. SMF play (custom... drums are from an electronic kit with a real drummer, translated for the G1000, bass part is mine, the rest is all live playing) and of course, a REAL guitar

Pass the hot sauce...

#268441 - 08/03/09 03:45 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
cgiles Offline

Way to go, Diki. My hat's off to anyone who can go from Jimmy Buffet to Wayne Shorter to Hank Williams and back again (and do a great job in every genre'). Plus, your recording skills are showing . I won't waste time with accolades; we all know there are at least two things you do well.....playing.....and talking .

chas

#268442 - 08/03/09 04:37 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Donny, 124, Diki...

All nice versions...well done...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#268443 - 08/03/09 05:17 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
All very nice sounding,but the best is Diki's recording.
It is a real band,so it isnt a arranger piece.

Impuls

#268444 - 08/03/09 05:41 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
cassp Offline

124 - Good job, thanks for that impressive use of chord changes . Your link is directly to the mp3 player and i and others would like to download the song. Can you repost that on box.com so that we can download please?

Diki - Oh yeah, I almost forgot what that voice sounded like - it sure doesn't match with your picture , but it definitely is good. Nice accordion work - piano keyboards are not like accordions in many ways, but you had me seing the buttons and bellows from the get go. Thanks for posting. Almost makes me want to make that drive to the panhandle in March - not! ... but I do like listening to your music.

#268445 - 08/03/09 05:46 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
cassp Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Impuls:
All very nice sounding,but the best is Diki's recording.
It is a real band,so it isnt a arranger piece.

Impuls

It's Diki and a guitarist (OK, that's a band) but it's still canned drums and bass. The recording was made live, so maybe the feel is more alive too. Certainly not taking anything away from Diki's excellent post, but Diki was using a self-made SMF for bass and drums, which is definitely arranger play. Many arranger players do that very often, record the necessary backing tracks in advance, leaving the keyboard free for more uses. Again, not knocking just clarifying.

#268446 - 08/03/09 05:56 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
tony mads usa Offline

Diki... sounds great... it's always great to have some 'live' help ... and what harmonizer are you using - it sure sounds LIVE !
t.

#268447 - 08/03/09 06:06 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
cassp Offline

I pulled this off the net. You have to use your mouse to slightly move the mp3 player to 8:11 where you'll find this polka gem http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/programs/2007/04/07/index.shtml

#268448 - 08/03/09 07:13 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
zuki Offline

Good job to both 124 and Diki. I thought the singing was superb in both versions and the 'live' version is definitely more, well - lively

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#268449 - 08/03/09 08:31 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Great work guys! I surely have these songs recorded somewhere. I'll check when I come up for air.
DonM

#268450 - 08/03/09 08:46 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Good job Diki. Shows real skill and versatility. It's not my preference in material, obviously, and something I don't play, but done superbly.

R.

#268451 - 08/03/09 10:19 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
124 Offline

Nice one, Diki. I think I might actually be getting to like this tune a bit. What's the effect you're using on the vocal (unless it's my computer) it sounds a bit 'phasey' here.

cassp: I'll try to repost the song so folks can download it, hope I press the right buttons. Does this work? http://www.box.net/shared/031ijlgdn8

[This message has been edited by 124 (edited 08-03-2009).]

#268452 - 08/03/09 11:25 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
Diki Offline

I can't remember for sure, 124 (got a name? I hate numbers!), but I think what I did was use Auto-Tune on the vocal, but just blended it back very slightly with the original unprocessed vocal at the front, just to try thickening it a bit. Although it's a live recording, we used an ADAT at the gig to get separate tracks on everything. However, I did it I think back in mid '05, so I can't be completely sure what I did.

I agree it came out a bit strange, but I've never been one to shy away from a bit of experimentation, audio-wise! I am afraid I'm a bit like John Lennon... I never REALLY like the sound of my voice at all, and am always trying to think of something I can do to make it less 'me'...

BTW, your vocal on your tune sounded very authentic Cajun... you sure you're not from Louisiana?

Who Dat?, Who Dat?, Who dat say dey gonna beat dem Saints?

#268453 - 08/03/09 12:46 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
DonM Offline

"I agree it came out a bit strange, but I've never been one to shy away from a bit of experimentation, audio-wise! I am afraid I'm a bit like John Lennon... I never REALLY like the sound of my voice at all, and am always trying to think of something I can do to make it less 'me'.."

Oh my God, I'm starting to find I have more and more in common with Diki!
DonM

#268454 - 08/03/09 02:52 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
cassp Offline

124 - yes, the song is now downloadable. Thanks.

#268455 - 08/03/09 05:24 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
124 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I can't remember for sure, 124 (got a name? I hate numbers!), but I think what I did was use Auto-Tune on the vocal, but just blended it back very slightly with the original unprocessed vocal at the front, just to try thickening it a bit. Although it's a live recording, we used an ADAT at the gig to get separate tracks on everything. However, I did it I think back in mid '05, so I can't be completely sure what I did.

I agree it came out a bit strange, but I've never been one to shy away from a bit of experimentation, audio-wise! I am afraid I'm a bit like John Lennon... I never REALLY like the sound of my voice at all, and am always trying to think of something I can do to make it less 'me'...

BTW, your vocal on your tune sounded very authentic Cajun... you sure you're not from Louisiana?

Who Dat?, Who Dat?, Who dat say dey gonna beat dem Saints?

Actually, i liked the vocal sound. Kind of took me back to psychedelia and The Small Faces' Itchycoo Park. Now that dates me . You bring up "thickening". Is that the way the effect is achieved within a vocal processor? By mixing an unprocessed track with a phased or chorused track? Cool stuff.

#268456 - 08/03/09 09:30 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
DonM Offline

I LOVE the way the TC Helicon makes me sound.
I'm trying to get that out of the Audya, but haven't quite go there yet.
It's a preset and has some combination of compressor, limiter, exciter, e.g., etc.
DonM

P.S. Sorry to get off topic. I just realized what thread this was.

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 08-03-2009).]

#268457 - 08/04/09 12:16 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Have been wanting to get in the ejam's but haven't found the time. Just noticed this new one and thought I'd take a little time to prepare and upload Jambalaya which I had recorded live on the fly with singer/trumpet player, Paul Bruketa, I've been working with weekly+ since about the beginning of the year.

I haven't had the time to listen to any of the others versions yet, but hope to some time this week.

This was recorded on the Tyros 2 internal recorder on 4-4-09. No sound editing has been done.

At the time I had intended to just use the guitar for fills and solo but noticed that there was another voice on, I guess from the previous song.

To listen to this on the Box player: http://www.box.net/shared/epq104ux0d

To download mp3: http://www.box.net/shared/6j3hrohxd4

Scott

#268458 - 08/04/09 07:04 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
124 Offline

That's nice. A more laid back, less frenetic version. More "ai-eeeee's", too. Is that really a bayou expression?

It hadn't really occurred to me before but, having only two chords to work with on this song, it demands more creativity to make it more interesting. That's a good thing, and your rendition here Scott has a relaxed swingy feel about it, plus some pretty adept guitar phrases. Thanks.

BTW, I waiting to hear what countrymeister DonM twangs out of this Jambalaya thang.

#268459 - 08/04/09 10:35 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
Compliments to all, great work, the JAMBALAYA song is my favorite song ever in my life, i heard
1234's Demo a while back on Korgs Forum and it was amazing, better then many studio version.
Few days ago when i heard DIKIs version i was blown, i have exactly 16 different version of
that song but Diki's version is better then any now, even then Hank's version himself.
And the whole song the way its made sounds like DIKI too, Hyper...

#268460 - 08/04/09 01:13 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
cassp Offline

Nice job, Scott. Very smooth swing there; comps to your guitarist! Thanks for getting in there and getting your hands dirty.

#268461 - 08/05/09 06:17 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
cassp Offline

Here is my version of Jambalaya. It was played on the G70, using a Yamaha Zydeco style from Donny Pesce. I recorded it in two passes, one for the style and the second for accordion and voice. There were two accordions, French and Musette.
Jambalaya-cp

I found that the annoying little sound on the style is a SynVox, which I will change and save after tonight. It just drove me crazy after all those run throughs. And I think my Polish upbringing kinda came thru on the accordion, as it is definitely not as realistic as Diki's. Hope you find something to enjoy.

#268462 - 08/05/09 07:06 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
Dnj Offline

Cass, great job WTG!

#268463 - 08/07/09 07:00 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
cassp Offline

Ouch, I guess my version must be worse than I thought. Somebody post something soon so we can say nice things about you. I'll be away on vacation all next week; somebody needs to bump this thread every few days to keep it visible. Maybe Dnj could help????? Please...

#268464 - 08/07/09 08:49 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
Nedim Offline

I dont think there is a BAD version of JAMBALAYA nor there will ever be one...
at least to me, i am serious and this one is great CASP, i love it...

#268465 - 08/07/09 09:17 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
124 Offline

Yeah, just had a listen to your take, CassP. What you worrying about? Time to gee up a few more entries, though. Anyone familiar with the other suggested tune? I don't know who Herman Hupfield is. Is this the "You must remember this, a kiss is just a kiss", etc.?

[This message has been edited by 124 (edited 08-07-2009).]

#268466 - 08/07/09 11:29 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
Diki Offline

That's the one... think Bogie and Bacall

Of all the gin joints in all the world...

#268467 - 08/08/09 06:22 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
cgiles Offline

I think there are two camps when it comes to this months selections; those who are willing to try Jambalaya (but have the good sense to stay away from As Time Goes By) and the rest, who might try this genre' but not this particular tune. This is the kind of song that can be beautiful in the hands of a super-skilled, super-talented professional (think Sinatra, Oscar Peterson, Nat Cole, etc.) but in lesser hands is likely to produce little more than a gag reflex (sorry, SZ's, but let's be realistic here).

I realize that music (tastes) is(are) subjective but, some tunes are 'kinder' to performers than others. Those are the ones we should probably stick to.

chas

#268468 - 08/08/09 09:49 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
Retired Offline

chas
This is the kind of song that can be beautiful in the hands of a super-skilled, super-talented professional (think Sinatra, Oscar Peterson, Nat Cole, etc.) but in lesser hands is likely to produce little more than a gag reflex (sorry, SZ's, but let's be realistic here) .

In the spirit of :- “ This is not a contest but an expo of the various playing and presentation styles of our SynthZone members”. = And to keep the e-jam alive,= here is the attempt of an, untutored hobbyist
playing keyboardist, who enjoys every minuet of it. If my music offends any one, I apologise.

‘Jambalaya’

[This message has been edited by Retired (edited 08-08-2009).]

#268469 - 08/08/09 10:09 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
Retired Offline

Woops
‘Jambalaya’ played on the Yamaha psr-s900. Styles, 70’s chart Cntry, Spanish Paso, Cntry Sing-a-long,
Bluegrass. Plus Multi Pads
Fred Wren.
http://www.box.net/shared/9jlki3aqyn

#268470 - 08/08/09 10:49 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Retired:
chas

In the spirit of :- “ This is not a contest but an expo of the various playing and presentation styles of our SynthZone members”. = And to keep the e-jam alive,= here is the attempt of an, untutored hobbyist
playing keyboardist, who enjoys every minuet of it. If my music offends any one, I apologise.

‘Jambalaya’

Sorry Fred, guilt trips don't work on me, my wife's been trying for years without success. I merely expressed an opinion about one of the song selections this month (you know, the one you studiously avoided ...along with everyone else). I believe that's still allowed. The tone of your post might lead one to believe you were trying to rally the troops against me (probably just paranoia on my part) while simultaneously offering an advance apology for your presentation. My advice (should you want it ), save your energy. I haven't had time to listen to your 'Jambalaya' yet, but I'm sure you don't need to apologize for it.

chas (another 'retired', cranky, ol' fart - just ask Fran )

[This message has been edited by cgiles (edited 08-08-2009).]

#268471 - 08/08/09 04:41 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
Retired Offline

Hi chas,
I have obviously expressed my self badly.
It was never my intention to cause conflict.
I mistakenly thought you were talking about
Jambalaya, I had the other song ready to go.
I will certainly take your advice.
You are doing a great job with the SZ E-jam.
Good by.
Fred Wren

#268472 - 08/08/09 06:22 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
cassp Offline

The Harmonicats, Lady of Spain... you got it all , Fred. BTW, I'm Cass, the younger ol'fart you sent your first mp3 to. Chas is the ornery one.

#268473 - 08/08/09 07:03 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
Retired Offline

Hi Cass,
Thank you for your kind remarks.

You are right, I thought it was you
I was replying to, I had no intention
of causing conflict, (it’s a waste of time.)
but trying to encourage other keyboard
hobbyists to join in. I would like to see
the e-jam grow.

I certainly got my wires crossed.
It’s at times like this that I realise that
old age is creeping up fast.

And you are doing a great job with the e-jam
Fred Wren

[This message has been edited by Retired (edited 08-08-2009).]

#268474 - 08/08/09 08:22 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
Dnj Offline

Great Job Fred!! Nice playing loved both versions....they only thing you caused is happiness in listening to your very kool styles of Jambalaya....anyone that doesn't participate in the jam I just ignore their replies..quit the excuses & keep em coming people.

#268475 - 08/08/09 09:36 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
Nedim Offline

I would recorded with singing too since its my favorite song, i can pull up quit a good melody
but it will suck with my foreign accent...lol.

#268476 - 08/08/09 09:56 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
124 Offline

Oh, I don't know about that, Nedim. It might prove quite interesting. Singing with an accent never did any harm to Enrique Iglesias and others.

Fred. Thanks for putting your rendition up. I don't give a rats whether you're a hobbyist or the next Peter Baartmans. You sat down, played the way you enjoy, and shared a bit of yourself with everyone here. That's all anyone does in this great e-Jam deal, Would that more would do the same. Kudos to ya, Fred, and keep 'em coming.

#268477 - 08/11/09 04:49 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
rbmusic Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD.,USA
As Time goes By.
http://www.box.net/shared/8zj0m3bl5g

Here is an instrumental version of As Time Goes By. This wasn't played by me it was done by a freind his name is Dick Smith.

This recording was done all in one take in realtime on my korg pa800.

The style was swing ballad 1. Left hand voice was analog strings and right hand clasic piano.

#268478 - 08/11/09 10:04 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
124 Offline

Thanks for that rbmusic. Your mate has some lovely chording in there.

#268479 - 08/13/09 03:19 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
rbmusic Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD.,USA
Your welcome 124 and thanks for the kind comments. I will pass that along to my freind.

#268480 - 08/13/09 05:09 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
Diki Offline

Nice, rb... The Korg piano sounds nice on this one, too.

#268481 - 08/14/09 04:33 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi
just added a file for As Time Goes By.
Just wanted to try something different in the way of a style for my Korg. Got the idea from Diki a while back when discussing " Chord Sequencer " function.

Style is loop based ( ie chord progression is embedded in the variations , fills etc)

Means it could be a real EZY play ie
just play a eb chord, press intro's , variations fills etc while just playing melody
or
bass or piano could be muted & played in reatime.

I created style from an old song file.

I took the Ezy play option, I only played the SIMPLE melody for chorus/verse. If I'd tried to play left hand piano or bass, I'd still be practicing this time next year haahaa

http://www.4shared.com/file/124943401/c5c05791/as_time.html

If any PA800 owners would like a copy of style , let me know.
best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#268482 - 08/14/09 03:08 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
tony mads usa Offline

Scott, Fred, rb (Dick Smith) rikki ... just got around to listening ... thank you all ...
t.

#268483 - 08/16/09 09:57 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
JR in TX Offline

Loc: Avinger, TX
I have enjoyed all the music posted. Great stuff!

This may be old but this may be a good time to see Hunter Hayes at age 4 about 14 years ago and his version of Jambalaya.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57sfRo26fAc&feature=related

Jay R

#268484 - 08/18/09 05:33 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
cassp Offline

Rikki - I like what you did with that understated style; great work. As for the song itself, I barely had a second sip of wine and the appetizer tray hadn't even arrived before your song ended. Play it again, Rikki...

#268485 - 08/18/09 08:36 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Rikki,
Very nicely done...as always :-)
I would like the style to experiment with to see if I can sound half as good as you did.

Thanks,
Lee S.

#268486 - 08/18/09 08:49 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
tony mads usa Offline

YES, there still is interest...

technics kn6000
Senn 855 mic
alesis fx6 mixer
digitec ex harmonizer

Song #1 ... After meeting a beautiful, full blooded Cajun miss, eating all that CAJAHHN food, and listening to all those CW stations down South I HAD to do it ... ... my apologies to my new Southern friends ...
Using a mix of "Country Cajun' and 'Bluegrass' styles on the kn, Folk Accordion in the left hand, Glam Accordion in RH1 and Nashville Steel in RH2 ... I preset some Panel Memories (registrations), recorded a 'sequence' and sang over it ...
http://www.4shared.com/file/126030381/1853f803/jambalayaa.html

Then for song #2, I returned to MY roots...

LH=Strings, RH1 = Mellow Piano, RH2 + accordion and clarinet ... again, set PMs and recorded the sequence, then sang over it ...
http://www.4shared.com/file/126030877/7afdae18/As_Time_Goes_By.html

Let 'er rip !!!

t.

#268487 - 08/18/09 10:08 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
DonM Offline

Well I had a request for As Time Goes By Tonight. I clicked on the Zoom and I was going to post it here if it sounded o.k. Then I heard Tony's version and changed my mind.
But what the heck, it is NOT a competition.
I can hear a hundred mistakes, but here it is anyway.
I'm using a factory style on the Roland E50, I'm playing the sax along with it and trying to remember the melody to sing. http://donmasonmusic.com/As%20Time%20Goes%20By/
DonM

#268488 - 08/19/09 03:26 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Lee,
just uploaded to stylemaking group along with instructions of sorts.

Might be a quick way of creating a song specific style, basically it's still just a midifile, but has the versatility of repeating choruses, verses etc.
It also has rather good solo, which I put into Intro2 . I didn't use it in my mp3.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
Rikki,
Very nicely done...as always :-)
I would like the style to experiment with to see if I can sound half as good as you did.

Thanks,
Lee S.

------------------
best wishes
Rikki

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/PA800_StyleMaking/

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#268489 - 08/19/09 04:51 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
tony mads usa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Well I had a request for As Time Goes By Tonight. I clicked on the Zoom and I was going to post it here if it sounded o.k. Then I heard Tony's version and changed my mind.
I'm using a factory style on the Roland E50, I'm playing the sax along with it and trying to remember the melody to sing. http://donmasonmusic.com/As%20Time%20Goes%20By/
DonM

Thanks for the compliment, but you don't take a back seat to anyone, my friend ...
Smooth as always ...
Love the fills with the sax ...

Still waiting for you to wail on Jambalaya
t.

#268490 - 08/19/09 05:03 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
cassp Offline

Great jobs, Tony and Don. I was beginning to think that As Time Goes By was going to fall by the wayside this month, but you two and some others have breathed some life into the ol'gal. Now maybe I'll give it a try. Thanks guys.

#268491 - 08/19/09 05:08 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Cass,
suppose Icould have cheated & added the pre recorded solo. haahaa would have been too obvious though.

best wishes
Rikki
QUOTE]Originally posted by cassp:
Rikki - I like what you did with that understated style; great work. As for the song itself, I barely had a second sip of wine and the appetizer tray hadn't even arrived before your song ended. Play it again, Rikki... [/QUOTE]

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 08-19-2009).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#268492 - 08/19/09 06:11 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
DonM

Great job Don on a classic song!!..
Tony super job, that Technics 6500 still sounds great, what a shame they went out of business.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-19-2009).]

#268493 - 08/19/09 07:36 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
tony mads usa Offline

Donny ... thnx for listening and the comments ...

and it IS a damned shame they no longer make kbs ... BTW... it's the 6000 ... the model before the 6500 ... ... I'm not sure what the differences are ...

thnx agn,

t.

#268494 - 08/19/09 02:40 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
124 Offline

Just got caught up here. Yep, after the early going with Jambalaya in the lead, As Time Goes By is coming on strong now. Good stuff, folks. Thanks!

#268495 - 08/21/09 04:27 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
Princess Offline

Loc: Michigan
Hi All;
My MP3 recorder arrived this afternoon and my hubby installed it a short time ago, so this is my first :~)
I'm using a Korg PA 800 and doing Jambalaya, so here it goes!
I've enjoyed listing to all the other recordings, we have very talented people here!!
Paula http://www.box.net/shared/h6yac54oub

#268496 - 08/22/09 05:56 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
tony mads usa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Princess:
Hi All;
My MP3 recorder arrived this afternoon and my hubby installed it a short time ago, so this is my first :~)
I'm using a Korg PA 800 and doing Jambalaya, so here it goes!
I've enjoyed listing to all the other recordings, we have very talented people here!!
Paula http://www.box.net/shared/h6yac54oub

Princess Paula .. nice job ...the PA 800 sounds good ... I assume you are playing the guitar licks? ... well done ...
t.

#268497 - 08/23/09 09:43 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
Princess Offline

Loc: Michigan
Hi Tony and Thanks;
Yes, I am playing the jazz GTR DNC on the PA800. I am a amature player, and I really appreciate your kind words. I think your entry of "As Time Go's By" is great.That song is beyond my ability at least for now :~)

Paula

#268498 - 08/23/09 03:50 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
Retired Offline

Hi, Cass,
Just added ‘As Time Goes By’ for the E-jam.
Using the Yamaha psr-s900.
Styles- Ballard, Acoustic Jazz, with Multi Pads
Fred Wren
http://www.box.net/shared/g17r9td08j

#268499 - 08/23/09 08:19 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
Diki Offline

Couple of things, Fred... You might want to check your audio routing on whatever you are recording this on. There's a sort of 'phasiness' to the sound that makes me think that you have some sort of feedback loop going on (or do you have a mike open and plugged in to the S900, picking up the speakers?).

The other thing is, especially for dancers and the like, you might try to watch your counts at the ends of phrases. You skipped a whole bar several times. BTW, I'm not trying to put this down, just trying to be helpful, if I can...

#268500 - 08/23/09 09:48 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
tony mads usa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Princess:
Hi Tony and Thanks;
Yes, I am playing the jazz GTR DNC on the PA800. I am a amature player, and I really appreciate your kind words. I think your entry of "As Time Go's By" is great.That song is beyond my ability at least for now :~)

Paula

Paula ... thank you very much ...
t.

#268501 - 08/24/09 11:14 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
Retired Offline

Hi Diki,
Thank You for taking the time to listen to the song,
and for your comments.
Fred Wren

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry