SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#268437 - 08/02/09 03:51 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
124 ... I agree with chas that this is a real nice job ... however, I didn't think the 'harmony' sounded 'live' ... that is my ONLY criticism ...
thnx for posting ..
t.

#268438 - 08/02/09 03:58 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
tony mads usa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Good luck, Tony. It's going to be a real challenge to make a song with two chords in it sound like anything other than......a song with two chords in it. BTW, if 'heading South' takes you anywhere near Atlanta, give me a holler. You can always get a steak and bottle of cheap chianti here. I'm getting closer and closer to that hip replacement decision so getting some first-hand info on what to expect would be great. Take care.

chas

chas ... Yes, when I said something different, I meant something like what 124 did ... guess now I'll have to try it as a bossa ...

unfortunately #1 - I REALLY appreciate the invitation and would love to have the opportunity to meet you in person and hear you play some jazz, but I am headed to a wedding in Dallas, ... after landing in Big D, my wife and I will be driving to Shreveport to visit DonM, then going back to Dallas ... after the wedding in Dallas, we will be driving to San Antonio for a couple of days, then flying back home ...

unfortunately #2 - I've had my knees replaced, not my hip (yet!!!), so I can't give you any advice on the hip ...

t.

#268439 - 08/02/09 10:32 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
124 Offline

Donny, thanks for your version of this old classic. I guess we're both on the same wavelength with this one. As chas noted, it's a two-chord number and there's not too much that can be done with it. Of course, someone will now prove me hopelessly wrong on that score.

Wow! Chas, Tony Mads, hope you can't see me blushing after such glowing praise. Coming from 'real' musicians, it's very appreciated.

I know this genre isn't your bag chas (mine neither, really) but I'm of the same thinking as you regarding how an arranger should be used. I didn't spend a lot of time on this, as I wanted it to sound a bit rough around the edges. Smooth and slick is okay sometimes, but I think that this genre is all the better for a more ragged feel.

Tony, I agree with your comments re. the harmony. I don't like blaming the tools, but I do think maybe the 'ih' is beginning to show its age as we become accustomed to the newer generation of harmonizers.

Thanks again, guys, for the listen and comments.

#268440 - 08/02/09 11:51 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Still a bit busy to do a brand new version, but at least this time, y'all picked a tune that I had already recorded..! Guess I'm in good company, here
http://www.roland-arranger.com/smf/index.php?topic=1150.0

Recorded on the G1000, Still a great arranger. SMF play (custom... drums are from an electronic kit with a real drummer, translated for the G1000, bass part is mine, the rest is all live playing) and of course, a REAL guitar

Pass the hot sauce...

#268441 - 08/03/09 03:45 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Way to go, Diki. My hat's off to anyone who can go from Jimmy Buffet to Wayne Shorter to Hank Williams and back again (and do a great job in every genre'). Plus, your recording skills are showing . I won't waste time with accolades; we all know there are at least two things you do well.....playing.....and talking .

chas

#268442 - 08/03/09 04:37 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Donny, 124, Diki...

All nice versions...well done...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#268443 - 08/03/09 05:17 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
All very nice sounding,but the best is Diki's recording.
It is a real band,so it isnt a arranger piece.

Impuls

#268444 - 08/03/09 05:41 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
124 - Good job, thanks for that impressive use of chord changes . Your link is directly to the mp3 player and i and others would like to download the song. Can you repost that on box.com so that we can download please?

Diki - Oh yeah, I almost forgot what that voice sounded like - it sure doesn't match with your picture , but it definitely is good. Nice accordion work - piano keyboards are not like accordions in many ways, but you had me seing the buttons and bellows from the get go. Thanks for posting. Almost makes me want to make that drive to the panhandle in March - not! ... but I do like listening to your music.

#268445 - 08/03/09 05:46 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Quote:
Originally posted by Impuls:
All very nice sounding,but the best is Diki's recording.
It is a real band,so it isnt a arranger piece.

Impuls

It's Diki and a guitarist (OK, that's a band) but it's still canned drums and bass. The recording was made live, so maybe the feel is more alive too. Certainly not taking anything away from Diki's excellent post, but Diki was using a self-made SMF for bass and drums, which is definitely arranger play. Many arranger players do that very often, record the necessary backing tracks in advance, leaving the keyboard free for more uses. Again, not knocking just clarifying.

#268446 - 08/03/09 05:56 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the August #3 eJam
tony mads usa Offline

Diki... sounds great... it's always great to have some 'live' help ... and what harmonizer are you using - it sure sounds LIVE !
t.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online