www.mikeymaestro.com
www.myspace.com/kidconcert
www.balloonanimal.com
www.jokevid.com
www.youtube.com/kidconcert

#267072 - 07/04/09 08:09 AM Re: A little dead around here lately
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Give it time, Mikey...this place operates in cycles.

#267073 - 07/04/09 09:37 AM Re: A little dead around here lately
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
It is quiet without John Dileo harping in how great the S900 is on any post....

#267074 - 07/04/09 10:21 AM Re: A little dead around here lately
ianmcnll Offline

Did John leave the forum?

No wonder it's so quiet.

He sure does love his PSR-S900...can't say I blame him...it is a pretty cool 'board.

#267075 - 07/04/09 10:31 AM Re: A little dead around here lately
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Here's hoping all SZ'ers have a safe and happy 4th of July! And a great summer too!

Randy

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#267076 - 07/04/09 11:27 AM Re: A little dead around here lately
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Did John leave the forum?

John DiLeo was a persona Donny created. John has left for good and Donny is having a break for a while to look after John who isn't feeling himself

#267077 - 07/04/09 11:36 AM Re: A little dead around here lately
mikey_maestro Offline

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ
No trial?
Automatic ban for an alias?

Scary!!!

Everyone should have at least 1 alias. Just think...Double the posts

I have several alias's on several forums. They allow me to post from different viewpoints. For instance..

I entertain children and adults. One for each genre.

But john dileo was a bland name. Needs more spunk

------------------
God Bless,
Mikey

www.mikeymaestro.com
www.balloonanimal.com
www.jokevid.com

#267078 - 07/04/09 11:50 AM Re: A little dead around here lately
Nigel Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by mikey_maestro:
No trial?
Automatic ban for an alias?

Scary!!!

I have several alias's on several forums. They allow me to post from different viewpoints. For instance..

Yeah, there was a trial by judge and a verdict was reached.

To clarify, there really is no rule about having an alias as long as that persona is still REALLY YOU. But John DiLeo wasn't Donny. It was in his own words an amateur one finger chord arranger player. And what really sucked is that Donny used both of them on the same threads to pat eachother's backs and create tension with other members. That is not allowed and not fair to the other members. Using an alias to cause problems is what drew my attention to this in the first place due to complaints I received. Using an alias in this fashion will certainly result in the IP being blocked. I'm guessing that is not how you make use of your alias usernames?

The verdict is in and set in stone. Umm which online forum does actually have trial by jury?

#267079 - 07/04/09 12:35 PM Re: A little dead around here lately
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I am astonished that anyone would think that having an alias FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER is acceptable on a forum. If you cannot make your point with the one handle, what point is there in two?

The ONLY reasons I have ever seen for it is to bolster ones opinion, self-justify, and stir up trouble. Posting and deleting, and having aliases is the hight of netiquette bad manners.

And the sign of VERY poor judgment.

#267080 - 07/04/09 12:50 PM Re: A little dead around here lately
jwyvern Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
Using an alias in this fashion will certainly result in the IP being blocked.

Nigel, how does that work? If people have dynamic addressing and are in the habit of turning their computer off every day won't they be allocated a new/different IP every time they switch back on?

John

#267081 - 07/04/09 12:54 PM Re: A little dead around here lately
mr9000 Offline

Wholly catbags!..why the h*ll would any sane person come to the silly insane conclusion that having multi personalties is deemed acceptable.I never knew this was even going on.There should be a golden rule at EVERY forum to immediately axe&ban such mental illnesses.

[This message has been edited by mr9000 (edited 07-04-2009).]

#267082 - 07/04/09 01:19 PM Re: A little dead around here lately
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Nice action Nigel, but IP ban won't do a big difference if not static. Else you may
lock access for some innocent people from the forum as well.
If edit into total different post as well as the delete function could be removed,
this forum would probably also get far less posts who heat the blood as we have seen
some examples about during the years.
Maybe we would think twice before post in a hurry or after a couple of drinks when we
know that what's written and posted is there to stay.

Cheers and Happy celebrating 4th of July.
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#267083 - 07/04/09 02:30 PM Re: A little dead around here lately
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Quote:
John DiLeo was a persona Donny created. John has left for good and Donny is having a break for a while to look after John who isn't feeling himself

So Synthzone had it's very own e-Sybil.

After you posted your original message to Donny, I went back and read some of the controversial topics and was suprised at some of the antics.

Nice catch!

Jerry

[This message has been edited by Jerryghr (edited 07-04-2009).]

#267084 - 07/04/09 02:50 PM Re: A little dead around here lately
ViLo Offline

Loc: Dallas Tx., USA
at the Spanish form we use to have at the Music Player.com site, when the moderator was on vacation, usually for a week, we had permission [from the moderator of course] to have multiple personalities and create chaos for a week it was fun but it had to be stopped once the moderator was back, of course everybody agreed that no matter what we said and happened it was all in fun, but we never offended each other too bad .

#267085 - 07/04/09 02:51 PM Re: A little dead around here lately
Nigel Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by jwyvern:
Nigel, how does that work? If people have dynamic addressing and are in the habit of turning their computer off every day won't they be allocated a new/different IP every time they switch back on?

John

Well many people do have static IP addresses ( I can tell that from the IP logs ). And those that don't always tend to have the dynamic IP allocated from the same block of 256 IPs ( I guess certain areas are given a particular IP block to allocate from ) so in that case I block the entire 256. In the very unlikely chance of a blocked IP affecting another innocent user then they would simply email me to alert me to the problem and I would address it. This has never proved to be a problem.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 07-04-2009).]

#267086 - 07/04/09 04:35 PM Re: A little dead around here lately
mikey_maestro Offline

You guys take stuff way too seriously.

Mental illness???

I don't condone an alias for illegal activity or things of it's nature.

This is a public forum.
Some people come on here because this is the only life they know. Some people use it as a good trade resource. Others based on the postings use it for therapy.

Relax!

I said I have used an alias on other sites not to be sinister but so the responses aren't skewed based on previous thoughts or postings.

Cmon guys, life is to short!

------------------
God Bless,
Mikey

www.mikeymaestro.com
www.balloonanimal.com
www.jokevid.com

#267087 - 07/04/09 05:01 PM Re: A little dead around here lately
mr9000 Offline

mikey..have you had that little problem correctly diagnosed?
Seriously though,now i am starting to wonder just how many clones there all in any found forum.Why a person would want multi user names remains a form of something shady going on/illness to me though.

#267088 - 07/04/09 05:25 PM Re: A little dead around here lately
mikey_maestro Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mr9000:
mikey..have you had that little problem correctly diagnosed?
Seriously though,now i am starting to wonder just how many clones there all in any found forum.Why a person would want multi user names remains a form of something shady going on/illness to me though.

I have no problems to diagnose. I'm just stating my honest opinion. That's what a forum is for isn't it?

I never used any name calling or insulted anyone.
I'd appreciate if you didn't act that way towards me

------------------
God Bless,
Mikey

www.mikeymaestro.com
www.balloonanimal.com
www.jokevid.com

#267089 - 07/04/09 05:37 PM Re: A little dead around here lately
Nigel Offline
Admin

Quote:
I have no problems to diagnose. I'm just stating my honest opinion. That's what a forum is for isn't it?

Yep for sure. I certainly don't have a problem with anything you said Mikey.

It is only creating fake personas that I draw the line at. And that is something that I am very sure you don't do.

#267090 - 07/04/09 08:01 PM Re: A little dead around here lately
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Yeah, there was a trial by judge and a verdict was reached.

To clarify, there really is no rule about having an alias as long as that persona is still REALLY YOU. But John DiLeo wasn't Donny. It was in his own words an amateur one finger chord arranger player. And what really sucked is that Donny used both of them on the same threads to pat eachother's backs and create tension with other members. That is not allowed and not fair to the other members. Using an alias to cause problems is what drew my attention to this in the first place due to complaints I received. Using an alias in this fashion will certainly result in the IP being blocked. I'm guessing that is not how you make use of your alias usernames?

The verdict is in and set in stone. Umm which online forum does actually have trial by jury?

To offer up my two cents, I think aliases are inherently destructive to websites like this. I can't really think of a legit scenario that would justify one. (Sorry, Mikey...why not just explain "hey this is what I do" and then comment freely from whatever perspective suits your needs?)

I think Donny's conduct was terrible. Forums are all about debate, conversation and give & take. He's got enough experience and knowledge that on those merits alone, he should be able to make all the arguments he wished. Too often he chose to "hit & run" take cheap shots at people to goad them and then delete his posts. The way "John" interplayed with threads also stood out. The degree to which he developed "John" was weird. A quick search tells us John participated in some 110 or so different threads since the name was created. That's 110 times readers thought they were reading content from one user, when it was really Donny. As free-wheeling as the internet is, private topic based forums like this carry some level of expected forthright behavior. Its implicit but IMO, present.

I think there should be no provisions for ANY secondary screen names whatsoever. I ask Nigel to reconsider that specific policy and perhaps modify it in the near future.

That said, if secondary screen names ARE permitted, there should be some immediate sign that a given screen name is in fact a secondary screen name of so& so (The primary screen name from that ip address)

For example, EVERY time John DiLeo posted a comment anywhere on this website, it also clearly indicates that "John DiLeo" is a secondary screen name of Donny Pesce...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 07-04-2009).]

#267091 - 07/04/09 11:21 PM Re: A little dead around here lately
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:

That said, if secondary screen names ARE permitted, there should be some immediate sign that a given screen name is in fact a secondary screen name of so& so (The primary screen name from that ip address)

For example, EVERY time John DiLeo posted a comment anywhere on this website, it also clearly indicates that "John DiLeo" is a secondary screen name of Donny Pesce...

This would make those that posted this way not so much egomaniacs, but merely schizophrenics.. Not much of an improvement, IMO

BTW, I really am starting to appreciate the "you're the guy ruining this forum' comment that I got from His Royal Duality...

(Oh, and, anyone notice that me and Ian are the same person, yet? )

#267092 - 07/05/09 12:23 AM Re: A little dead around here lately
Nigel Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

ROTFLMAO

Sometimes you really crack me up.

And I here I was thinking you were actually Dom from Lionstracs

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 07-05-2009).]

#267093 - 07/05/09 03:04 AM Re: A little dead around here lately
mikey_maestro Offline

I will be creating a new name this morning. It will be mental illness. It will be reserved for stupid comments.

------------------
God Bless,
Mikey

www.mikeymaestro.com
www.balloonanimal.com
www.jokevid.com

#267094 - 07/05/09 06:03 AM Re: A little dead around here lately
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:

Good thing you told me...I was wondering how I learned to play the trombone...

#267095 - 07/05/09 06:27 AM Re: A little dead around here lately
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
This would make those that posted this way not so much egomaniacs, but merely schizophrenics.. Not much of an improvement, IMO

BTW, I really am starting to appreciate the "you're the guy ruining this forum' comment that I got from His Royal Duality...

At least it would be in the full light of day, eh?

Diki, I liken you at times to a guitar string. If its got just the right amount of tension in it...its terrific. Too little, its sounds like a fart...too much and it snaps and creates no useful sounds at all.

Are you ruining this forum? I think not but there have been times...which to your credit you have acknowledged...you have responded in a way that wasn't really in tune with what you can provide here.

You have a high knowledge level and an interesting personality. Once again, you seem to hold the high ground after the stunt DP pulled.

Many of us hope your input remains sharp and critical when called for but tempered with a better choice of words that more suits your intellect.

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#267096 - 07/05/09 06:51 AM Re: A little dead around here lately
BBBB Offline

Nigel:
I think its real simple. No alias's period. Keep up the great work. Donny really helped me a couple of times and I was confused and quite disappointed when this first came out. Perhaps it was meant as a joke but some things just don't make sense. Last thing we need to see is someone posting a topic and then talking to themselves under an alias!
Brian

#267097 - 07/05/09 10:25 AM Re: A little dead around here lately
Diki Offline

I concur. No aliases PERIOD. What SANE person needs two identities to get their point across?

I'm sorry for the way I am taken, from time to time. As you can guess, I am passionate about what I believe, that comes across either good or bad depending on what you believe yourself! I try as hard as I can to keep things civil (but still passionate!) but have a hard time with the way some members confuse an argument about a topic, and simply insulting the poster... There's a difference, believe it or not.. But honestly, I don't think I am alone in being pointed about my beliefs. I don't feel slighted when someone disagrees with me, unless they can't find a way to express it without personal insult. So far, I have been called bitter, frustrated, and short none of which I can see as having ANYTHING to do with an arranger It is somewhat frustrating, I must admit, to have other people insult me personally when all I have done is question an IDEA, and then have MY tone criticized. Fix your own houses first, I say...

BTW... I wish I WAS Ian right now... playing outside in 115ºF heat index, I could do with some of that Canadian cool weather (until winter, anyway!)

#267098 - 07/05/09 10:37 AM Re: A little dead around here lately
mikey_maestro Offline

So why were on the subject of contraversial subject matter. Why is Scott yee not allowed on here anymore.

Scott has been one of the nicest synth zone members that I've had a pleasure to talk music with. He's always been very helpful to me. I thought he contributed some great information.

He just vanished never to be heard from again. I asked him what happened he told me that when he went to post one day he got a message that his ip address was blocked.

I'm not a troublemaker but id love to know more. I just started off posting it was dead around here yesterday. Then I'm told donny was punished and next thin I know I was accused of having mental illness.

This is BS

------------------
God Bless,
Mikey

www.mikeymaestro.com
www.balloonanimal.com
www.jokevid.com

#267099 - 07/05/09 10:56 AM Re: A little dead around here lately
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
I wish I WAS Ian right now... playing outside in 115ºF heat index, I could do with some of that Canadian cool weather (until winter, anyway!)

It's as cool as a mother in law's kiss here today, Diki...12 degrees Centigrade, or about 53 degrees Fahrenheit...lovely weather, although it's going to thunderstorm later on..I can hear static on my radio, so there's lightning not too far away.

115 is way too hot for me...you must have to drink a lot of water in that heat to keep from dehydrating.

#267100 - 07/05/09 11:05 AM Re: A little dead around here lately
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
So why were on the subject of contraversial subject matter. Why is Scott yee not allowed on here anymore.

Scott has been one of the nicest synth zone members that I've had a pleasure to talk music with. He's always been very helpful to me. I thought he contributed some great information.

He just vanished never to be heard from again. I asked him what happened he told me that when he went to post one day he got a message that his ip address was blocked.

I'm not a troublemaker but id love to know more. I just started off posting it was dead around here yesterday. Then I'm told donny was punished and next thin I know I was accused of having mental illness.

This is BS

Scott's ban from a couple years ago was lifted in short time...as was mine..

Scott has been back posting, but I recall he was warned again..I don't think Nigel banned him again at all...just reprimanded..

No one was ever banned unjustly here...in fact there are many here that also should have got axed..

Nigel must really like Diki and Ian..

#267101 - 07/05/09 11:12 AM Re: A little dead around here lately
Nigel Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:

Oh, didn't you realize they are both my alias names????

#267102 - 07/05/09 11:16 AM Re: A little dead around here lately
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:

And why not? We are wonderful people.

We both have been reprimanded, so we haven't sailed through unscathed, but at least we speak from the heart, and don't post under an alias.

I have had a few of my posts treated to a "Nigelectomy" as so has Diki.

Nigel has been more than fair, and very patient...even with you, Fran.

#267103 - 07/05/09 11:25 AM Re: A little dead around here lately
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Quote:
What SANE person needs two identities to get their point across?

Me, I'm Gunnar, and Johnny, and Gunnar Jonny, and some may say I'm a damn a**hole....
and they're most probably right.

GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#267104 - 07/05/09 11:54 AM Re: A little dead around here lately
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
At last, a little levity. How refreshing.

#267105 - 07/05/09 12:06 PM Re: A little dead around here lately
ViLo Offline

Loc: Dallas Tx., USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Bernie9:
At last, a little levity. How refreshing.

THE BOSE COMPACT L1 IT'S WORTHLESS!!!!!

IT'S NOT SO QUIET NOW AH!?!?!?

OOPSSSS!! Wrong Thread :

#267106 - 07/05/09 12:14 PM Re: A little dead around here lately
Nigel Offline
Admin

Quote:

Well I have avoided discussing this on the forum but I will clear this up here for once and for all.

Once upon a time ...

Quite some time back Scott posted a rather disgusting link aimed at Diki on the forum. He ended up removing it but not before it had been seen by a number of us. As he had removed it I let the matter slide even though I should have banned him then. But Scott couldn't let things rest and continued to slam me persistantly in his posts about me being to easy on people and not banning when members stepped over the line. In the end I finally gave in and banned him for his behavior as he was requesting. Though he probably wasn't considering his behavior to have been inappropriate. If he had simply backed off I never would have blocked him. He forced my hand.

It is that simple.

On a sidenote I would be quite happy to consider lifting the ban as Scott has always been a longtime valued member of the forum and has contributed a lot to us all. If he contacted me to request it I would be certainly let bygones be bygones. But up to now I have had no such request. But it is always open if he should decide to ask me.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 07-05-2009).]

#267107 - 07/05/09 12:18 PM Re: A little dead around here lately
mr9000 Offline

Quote:
I'm not a troublemaker..".."next thing I know I was accused of having mental illness.
This is BS

Fair enough..could you share why you deal in numerous user names(being serious).What is lost from using just a simple 'mikey_maestro'.What is the mystery i would seriously like some hindsight into?..in the real world this is called impersonation.Cops and fake ID's usually end up with the sound of a meaningful "Slam",and the jingle of the keys being placed into his pocket.Followed by a fine etc..why the multi usuage..as fun as it may be to hide behind other names,there's a lack of being accountable to who you really are.Your feathers are much to ruffled about the term 'mental illness'.Even a headache is a form of such..Howard huges the richest man of his time, OCD.Not at all trying to insult.There remains truth in those dealing in multi's of something undiagnoised.

[This message has been edited by mr9000 (edited 07-05-2009).]

[This message has been edited by mr9000 (edited 07-05-2009).]

#267108 - 07/05/09 12:20 PM Re: A little dead around here lately
jwyvern Offline

Quote:
Oh, didn't you realize they are both my alias names????

Actually it all makes sense now. There are only about 10 real members of SZ, the rest are aliases, which explains why every so often postings become so totally unreal.

And who is Nigel really? How many noms-de-plume does Donny have?

All in the best possible taste

John

[This message has been edited by jwyvern (edited 07-05-2009).]

#267109 - 07/05/09 12:28 PM Re: A little dead around here lately
Nigel Offline
Admin

And slowly this thread fades off into the sunset ......... Goodnight All

#267110 - 07/05/09 12:33 PM Re: A little dead around here lately
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I suppose I should mind my own business. I'm not going to comment on aliases. I don't care to get involved in that discussion.

But I will comment on my friend Mikey Maestro. Since we are both from the same general area of the US ( about a 20 to 25 minute ride away by car) We've got to be pretty good friends. Mikey has to be one of the most generous down to earth people I have met in or out of the forum. On a number of occasions we have loaned eachother equipment so that we can test before we buy. I can vouch for his character he is a first class guy no question about it. Both my wife and I have been in the company of he and his wife, they are super people and have rolled out the red carpet for us when we went to see his show at a hotel on Cape Cod.

BTW, TonyMads is another local musician who has become a good friend as well, he and his lovely wife are also first class folks. Without SZ I would have never met either of them.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online