SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#265899 - 06/10/09 01:29 PM Re: Best All-Around Arranger?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
When weight alone dictates what you choose, and precludes many worthy entrants (T3, PA2Xpro, G70), taking a good look at how others manage the weight can pay dividends. Personally, I use dollies and leverage to make sure I NEVER actually lift the G70 in it's case in it's entirety. Place the case on a chair or raised area to get it in and out of the case, and you don't do your back anywhere NEAR the stress that pulling it out of the case on the floor....You might also consider that, in all likelihood, you regularly lift more than 45 lbs. and don't even realize it. If you have carried a child over the age of two or three, you have carried more than 30 lbs.. If you have lifted a child four to six years old, you have lifted 45 lbs.. Half of the people on this forum get as emotional about their arranger as they do their grandkids But somehow that doesn't extend to lifting them up! They weigh about the same!

My E80 weighs even more. But I have a wheeled case for it and can't see the problem. As I've said before, good, solid giggable build quality is more important to me than weight. I like my gear to last. And those kids' keyboards just don't inspire confidence when you play con brio. They're all over the place!

#265900 - 06/10/09 01:32 PM Re: Best All-Around Arranger?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Seamaster:
. And those kids' keyboards just don't inspire confidence when you play con brio. They're all over the place!

Con Brio...one of my favorite tunes...

#265901 - 06/10/09 02:19 PM Re: Best All-Around Arranger?
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Korg PA800 - does it all - meets all the criterion.
Ciao,
Jerry

#265902 - 06/10/09 02:32 PM Re: Best All-Around Arranger?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry T:
Korg PA800 - does it all - meets all the criterion.
Ciao,
Jerry

Well, that about does it! The Korg wins.

Thankfully that's over...now, back to my trusty PSR-S900 and another rendition of Con Brio.

#265903 - 06/10/09 02:56 PM Re: Best All-Around Arranger?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Well, for live gigging to be only OMB, that sure discounts a lot of other ways to gig!

But now you have narrowed it down to a better defined goal, you are STILL basically getting 'Use what I use!' from everyone. Thing is, none of us would buy what WE thought was less than the best for what we need, but mysteriously, most of us manage to use different gear. Perhaps we have different ideas of what IS 'best'?

Your initial post recognized how this was nothing but an excuse for a pissing contest (and yet, apparently, I am the one dragging this forum down ), and here we are. Surprise, surprise!

Look, I'm in my mid-50's. Weight does affect me. But so does less than stellar sound. I carry my arranger for a couple of minutes a day. I play it for HOURS. I can appreciate weight being a consideration if you are infirm, but there are plenty hale and hearty here that seem to be able to lug around fifty pound speakers but blanch at the though of an arranger lighter than that!

Stairs, Ian, are not that big a deal, especially in the Gulf Coast, where everything gets wiped out and rebuilt every few years thanks to those nice hurricanes... The handicap access laws have made ramps and elevators far more common than they may be where you work. I also, especially this year, find myself playing live a lot more (in the sense of 'without a machine') so if something comes up that is tough for me, I get a bit of help. But, push comes to shove (pun intended!) I have never found a place where I couldn't get the beast into.

Perhaps they COULD make something at the level of quality and touch I prefer at under 30 lbs., but I haven't found it yet. To a certain degree, rigidity and solid actions come at a weight penalty, unless you are prepared to pay a fortune for exotic composites like carbon fiber... The real estate of arranger layout makes them a LOT larger than the stripped down sizes that pianos can be, meaning that they will be heavier.

But if you take a look at pro WS's, you'll find a large number of them over your weight limit, and many that dwarf my G70! If PSR touch and construction are sufficient for you, you'll be fine. But at least let those of us that DO prefer better than that put up with the additional weight that that entails. Strokes for folks, and all that. I don't look forward to the day that ALL arrangers are made as flimsy as PSR's, just to keep the senior citizens happy.

#265904 - 06/10/09 03:14 PM Re: Best All-Around Arranger?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I don't look forward to the day that ALL arrangers are made as flimsy as PSR's, just to keep the senior citizens happy.

Nor do I Diki...thankfully the S900 is tough enough to gig with...so was my 3k...I'm only 60 so I'm not officially a senior, but I have applied for an Indolence Pension...

You didn't answer my question on how you move your gear when doing one man band gigs.

What vehicle do you use...a van, car, truck...I know you don't take the G70 on the bus?

I think you doing okay to be lugging the G70 around...I know I wouldn't do it...it doesn't offer any more than what I'm using, and I'm in the business to make money and music....as easily as possible, hopefully.

#265905 - 06/10/09 04:45 PM Re: Best All-Around Arranger?
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Diki and Ian,
My post was really to get everyone thinking if there is any Pro-level arrangers being made today by any manufacturer that is easy to lug around. I was a drummer(percussion major in college) in my hey day and remember all to well dragging my equipment up steps and stairs - days when easy access was only a dream for some folks. Today I just can't do that and don't care to put my well being in second place to common sense. But that aside - the question still remains - what gear if any is really suitable for the gigging pro who does OMB gigs that is at or under that 30 pound limit?

It appears most of the guys here play only the TOTL keyboards and are not up to date on the next level down.

Hammer

#265906 - 06/10/09 06:23 PM Re: Best All-Around Arranger?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
...and that next level down is where you will find the bread & butter boards. In many ways they are the "bang for the buck" you are looking for. I've already said I thought the S900 was the best of that bunch, but one certainly could not go wrong with any of these:

Yamaha PSR3000, T2
Roland E50/60
Korg PA500/800

among others.

#265907 - 06/10/09 06:40 PM Re: Best All-Around Arranger?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by hammer:

It appears most of the guys here play only the TOTL keyboards and are not up to date on the next level down.

Hammer

Maybe so, Hammer, but I use the S900 exclusively, even though I have a Tyros3 as well...I just like the former's compactness, lightness, and, most especially the features, which aren't that far off a Tyros3.

Donny uses an S900, and several friends of mine who do OMB are using the S900 as well...not just because it is a good "bang for the buck", but also because it's a hoot to play as well...great SA sounds, and the mega voiced styles.

I prefer the MOTL arranger because, of course,the investment is smaller, and the features now rival the TOTL boards.

Plus, they are inexpensive enough to allow trading up every few years, if you want.

My S900 through the two Bose L1's, in stereo, sounds absolutely incredible...even I am jealous of me.

The best thing is all my gear, including stands, two Bose L1's, bench, and the S900 all fit in my Honda Accord sedan, and still leave the front passenger seat free...so I don't need to have money tied up in a van, either as a main transport or a "gear only" vehicle that would most certainly be harder on fuel, as well as insurance etc.

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 06-10-2009).]

#265908 - 06/10/09 06:45 PM Re: Best All-Around Arranger?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Hammer...I Guess What I was trying maybe to explain in obtaining your request 30 lbs etc is maybe...(Remember these are all good keyboards) but to Improve at lest for Me Example: Tyros line, drop some of the excess bulk,narrow it up, maybe even add speakers it should come in at 30 lbs. Great Keyboard!
Korg PA-800 Just put the Great Tyros Keybed in it, Slim the chasis up a bit...You have A Great Keyboard!
Roland....Put all the G-70 workings in the E-60 slim size with better speakers...Should come in very close to 30 lbs...It would be a Great Keyboard!

We went to a cookout this evening, but I had about 20 min. on the Privia PX-320.. Pretty Impressed for $600...First thing I Liked in short notice...Weight, 128 Poly,Nice Grands and other Voices PLUS You can Hold the Voice with sustain,etc while You select another Voice!!!!I LOVE that...No cutoff...Also Strings Hold Sustain with pedal same as Roland I Love That also...Very Nice Keybed action...That's all for Now...Harold

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online