SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#265819 - 06/11/09 05:31 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact kicks butt tonight
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Trust me on this one, hellboy. Say anything detrimental about the Bose, it doesn't MATTER how you say it...

If you read this thread from top to bottom, I think you would have to be seriously paranoid to find any real vitriol on this thread until this:
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Oh NO! All these years and I still can't tell the difference! I'll just sell all my gear and quit. I'm too stupid to know what I hear with my own ears
I can't believe I've LOWERED myself AGAIN to respond to conjecture from those who have not used or even heard the gear in question.
DonM

(This from a guy that HASN'T used or heard the gear in question the way it was suggested.)

And I'm the one screwing up this forum?

THIS is where the tone went downhill. This wasn't just HOW he said it. It was WHAT he said. If someone can't hear about that there's a huge difference between a kick on a CD and a live drummer hitting it without this tirade of pettiness, trust me, this forum is already f*cked up...

#265820 - 06/11/09 05:35 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact kicks butt tonight
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:
Diki, I was going to post this earlier, but I decided not to. I thought about it again and this statement is really against my better judgment......so I shouldn't really write it, but I am.............

Diki we know you are smarter than everyone here and you've proved it time and time again. Please show a little restraint when it comes to showing us how much more than us you really know. Signed dumb and stupid from the the Northeast.

Ahhh.... I see. It's not what you say, it's HOW you say it

#265821 - 06/11/09 05:40 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact kicks butt tonight
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
In this instance (and in this thread) I agree with you Diki - hell even I was jumped upon by hammer in another Bose Compact related thread. (Obviously some people around here STILL don't know I'm a Bose supporter - an objective one.

But I stand by what I said re ruining the forum. It's not just in this thread alone.

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#265822 - 06/11/09 05:43 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact kicks butt tonight
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by John DiLeo:
Steve, please speak for yourself "smarter then everyone here"? dikis bravado has ruined this forum, & many people have left because of it. Let's call a spade a spade shall we? Talk is very cheap, I'm not impressed by Mr know it alls & I don't hesitate to think anyone here is either don't be fooled.
[This message has been edited by John DiLeo (edited 06-09-2009).]

Ditto.

Maybe I'm not smarter than everyone here. Maybe I'm the stupid one for warning about running a live drummer through a 100w acoustic guitarist's mini PA. (guess hellboy and Dennis are pretty dumb too?).

In the spirit of the earlier post, perhaps I shouldn't say this... but no, I''ll go ahead and say it anyway

Yes, I think that perhaps you ARE dumber than a plank. I don't have to be a 'know it all' I simply have to know a bit more than this idiotic idea. Not exactly a very high bar...

#265823 - 06/11/09 06:07 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact kicks butt tonight
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Ditto.

Maybe I'm not smarter than everyone here. Maybe I'm the stupid one for warning about running a live drummer through a 100w acoustic guitarist's mini PA. (guess hellboy and Dennis are pretty dumb too?).

In the spirit of the earlier post, perhaps I shouldn't say this... but no, I''ll go ahead and say it anyway

Yes, I think that perhaps you ARE dumber than a plank. I don't have to be a 'know it all' I simply have to know a bit more than this idiotic idea. Not exactly a very high bar...

We're even and I'll end it there, otherwise we know where it will go.

#265824 - 06/12/09 11:08 AM Re: Bose L1 Compact kicks butt tonight
JR in TX Offline

Loc: Avinger, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Jay R. It is a public even, in Benton, Arkansas. Joe Lee Richards set it up. Dean Mathis will be going with me. He'll be playing Steel, Fiddle, keyboard and singing also.
It is the city of Benton's Fourth of July celebration, complete with fireworks.
DonM

Okay Don, Thanks./ I thought it might be in S'port. I bet y'all will knock em out!

Jay R

#265825 - 06/14/09 08:58 AM Re: Bose L1 Compact kicks butt tonight
John DiLeo Offline

I finally had a chance to hear the Bose compact at a Wedding last night 4pc band with two Bose compact units. All I can say is WOW, WOW, WOW! crystal clear vocals & the overall music sound just enveloped the whole room approx 125pp without being intrusive to our conversations at the table. We were 3 tables away from the stage.
I'm sold, will be looking to purchase one very soon.

#265826 - 06/14/09 06:58 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact kicks butt tonight
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I'd rather get advice from someone that has done it, not someone who THINKS it could be done (unless he's willing to buy me a new Compact if it can't).

..[/B]

Wow I can't begin to list the myriad of inventions and or discoveries if one depended on someone else to get there first and advise. That's playing life a little too safe.........

I rather seek advice from those who have the confidence to just KNOW something can be done without seeking approval or advice or waiting to seek someone who has already tried it. SOMEONE Had to be the first achiever, the early adopter. They didn't seek advice...they just DID.

Just look at how successful Karaoke is!! No one thought that would replace professional entertainers.........Someone had to be the first..LOL

I say Go for it.....Run the drums through a Compact System..if it works.... Great.. If not no harm no foul....They are warrantied and Bose has EXCELLENT customer service.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 06-14-2009).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#265827 - 06/15/09 02:10 AM Re: Bose L1 Compact kicks butt tonight
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Does anyone know if the Compact has a "shut down mode" if the signal is too loud?

I can tell you the L1 Model 2 does!

I recently set up a Packlite (to run 4 B1 bass bins) as we recently had a large(ish) room to "light up" with a dancefloor packed with dancers, and, running late, I set up the 4 bass bins, specifically the Packlite (the extra amp) wrongly.
My only defense is we WERE very late and it was a first time setup. More fool me!

Anyway, my point is:

The L1 shut down when we tried to go either too loud with the master volume, or when a loud specific (bass) note came through. It was momentarily embarassing for us (though the crowd said they never really heard anything go astray) but what happens is basically all bass "dies" and what you're left with is what sounds like a tinny, Transistor Radio effect.

Even so, the sound was full through 4 bass bins(!) and I've been told I was running at (barely) 50% of what I was capable of with 4 bins!! I've since run the system with both sets of bass bins (separately) and everything is still as smooth as butter!

My conclusion: It's practically impossible to damage the system by running too loud a signal through it - it just goes into compression and protects itself.

I find it VERY hard to believe the Compact won't do the same thing.

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#265828 - 06/15/09 07:32 AM Re: Bose L1 Compact kicks butt tonight
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The Compact does have a very effective limiting circuitry, just as the L1 does. I think it would be impossible to damage it by too hot an input.
I haven't tried any really big jobs yet, but from experience I know it will handle up to a couple hundred people with no strain. It won't make your ears bleed, as will some of the more conventional sound systems can, but that's not what I'm looking for, and that's not what it's designed for.
DonM

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online