SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#265799 - 06/09/09 12:51 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact kicks butt tonight
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
There is an unbelievable difference between the controlled and limited dynamics of a CD (or mp3) and the wild dynamics that a live drummer can produce. Without careful compression and limiting, a drummer can easily blow a low powered rig set up for his early evening volume levels with some over enthusiastic end of the night shenanigans!

And while the L1 system pumps out about...

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
The L1 has a lot more power than most systems. The tower is 500-watts RMS, 1,000-watts peak power, while the sub is 250-watts RMS and 500-watts peak. The total is 750-watts RMS and 1,500-watts peak power. That's one hell of a lot of wattage coming out of a total of 25 speakers (24 tower--1 sub).

the Compact is rated at about 150w. Total. Draw your own conclusions. But the 'voice of experience' ought to at least know the difference between a solid sound from a CD, and getting the same from a live drummer...

#265800 - 06/09/09 02:51 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact kicks butt tonight
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Oh NO! All these years and I still can't tell the difference! I'll just sell all my gear and quit. I'm too stupid to know what I hear with my own ears
I can't believe I've LOWERED myself AGAIN to respond to conjecture from those who have not used or even heard the gear in question.
DonM

#265801 - 06/09/09 03:37 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact kicks butt tonight
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Don,

What do you expect? Remember the advice you gave me about the pig?

Tom

Tom

#265802 - 06/09/09 03:38 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact kicks butt tonight
miden Offline

Loc: The World
I don't know if that was directed at me Don, but I have owned an L1, I own a Bose 502a and 502b system now and I will be probably getting a pair of the compacts.

Without being too presumptious, I dont think Diki was having a dig at you, just re-emphasising the huge difference between a recorded backing track / song, arranger keyboards and a fully live drum kit. And that caution is needed with running a live band through the system.

I have also run PA for all my live bands over the years. I have a reasonable idea of what happens.

I am aware that the Boses systems use excellent sound control systems, but in my view NO sound system is immune from those "moments" and unfortunately as you would know, it only takes a second of a big transient (like what you would get from a kick drum hit way too hard out of excitement or error) to blow a speaker.

I was not saying they could not do it, just that perhaps Bill might want to run a limiter over the kick drums input. That was all.

And Bose are not the cheapest when it comes to repairs. I know, I had to have an amp power supply replaced on the L1, cost me just over $365.

Dennis

#265803 - 06/09/09 03:52 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact kicks butt tonight
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Diki, I was going to post this earlier, but I decided not to. I thought about it again and this statement is really against my better judgment......so I shouldn't really write it, but I am.............

Diki we know you are smarter than everyone here and you've proved it time and time again. Please show a little restraint when it comes to showing us how much more than us you really know. Signed dumb and stupid from the the Northeast.

#265804 - 06/09/09 04:04 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact kicks butt tonight
John DiLeo Offline

Steve, please speak for yourself "smarter then everyone here"? dikis bravado has ruined this forum, & many people have left because of it. Let's call a spade a spade shall we? Talk is very cheap, I'm not impressed by Mr know it alls & I don't hesitate to think anyone here is either don't be fooled.

[This message has been edited by John DiLeo (edited 06-09-2009).]

#265805 - 06/09/09 10:11 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact kicks butt tonight
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Dennis, not at you at all, my friend!
Of course a bass drum kick can overdrive a speaker, but as it was described, they don't have the BD very loud. In fact it is subdued.
Under those circumstances, I remain convinced that the Compact would do a good job for them. I assure you the Compact will go far louder than live drum level.
It's not that I don't welcome anyone's opinion, or criticism of any of my opinions, but there is a way to say things without sarcasm and personal digs. Adding a smiley face doesn't make it a lot better.
I not only know how loud drummers can be, I PLAYED drums in a rock and roll band for several years in college.
I'm just tired of the constant "I'm so smart and everyone else is stupid" attitude, and I'm tired of turning the other cheek.
The best forum on the internet has been decimated by this and I hope it's not too late to do something about it.
DonM

#265806 - 06/09/09 10:13 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact kicks butt tonight
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Okay Don, thanks m8...understand. NP

Dennis

#265807 - 06/10/09 11:54 AM Re: Bose L1 Compact kicks butt tonight
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Oh, so when Dennis says the same thing as me, you are all happy to hear it. Just not from me... well OK, then.

Enjoy your Compacts. Let us know how using them as a band PA turned out. What DOES the warranty cover, anyway? I am SURE that one of you recommending it as OK for this purpose will reimburse any member who DOES blow up their Compact putting a full band through it on your recommendation, won't you..?

Maybe THAT is why people are leaving this forum..? Unrealistic advice from people too dogmatic about the correctness of THEIR choice of gear to even acknowledge that someone else MIGHT have a different set of criteria.

You see, if the 'voice of experience' wants to live up to his claim, you would have to put a band at a decent level through a Bose Compact FIRST before you recommended it to others (and do it loud!). I don't see any evidence that anyone has actually DONE this yet....

Oh, but you are SURE it works, aren't you? Me, I'd rather get advice from someone that has done it, not someone who THINKS it could be done (unless he's willing to buy me a new Compact if it can't).

Anyway, make up your mind. Either Dennis is wrong, too, or PERHAPS there's something to what I caution. And if warning people that they might blow their gear up is a bad thing on this forum, you might consider exactly WHO is ruining this forum...

#265808 - 06/10/09 05:40 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact kicks butt tonight
Dnj Offline

I've noticed with about 20 gigs under my belt with the Bose compact that now the joints of the extension poles are getting easier to detach each piece.
Also I'm noticing that in bad acoustical rooms in the past the Bose compact is sounding awesome....I couldn't be happier with this unit.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online