SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#265628 - 06/01/09 04:27 AM Mixer? Yes or No?
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
I have a Pa2x and have owned many of the other top arrangers. I use powered speakers. At the present time I am a "Home" player and do not play out (I did for many years). Just curious on why someone would use a mixer? Advantage? For me KB to powered speaker works the best.

#265629 - 06/01/09 04:48 AM Re: Mixer? Yes or No?
KeithB Offline

Loc: Melbourne AUSTRALIA
Three keyboards into a mixer (Alto S12) though I only use one keyboard at a time, then powered speakers (Behringer Truth 2031). Also have a radio and the computer into the mixer. Purpose is to adjust frequency balances for the small home study that is my world, for an audience of myself!
The mixer allows me to get better volume from the radio and computer outputs. In all cases a more fuller and satisfying sound.
Keith

#265630 - 06/01/09 04:54 AM Re: Mixer? Yes or No?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Originally posted by JCkeeys:
I have a Pa2x and have owned many of the other top arrangers. I use powered speakers. At the present time I am a "Home" player and do not play out (I did for many years). Just curious on why someone would use a mixer? Advantage? For me KB to powered speaker works the best.

A mixer typically provides a way to merge several audio signals into one overall output signal that goes to your speakers. That's probably the most common use for it. Someone has a situation where they have a kb running in stereo, which can mean two 1/4" lines, plus a vocal...which also can be run in stereo, that's another two.

Another reason to use a mixer is the control is gives you over each of your inputs. Even a small mixer, let's say one with 4 channels, usually offers a low, mid and a high tone control, which gives you more freedom to shape your sound the way you want to.

Further, some mixers, even small inexpensive ones offer on board effects. Vocals sound better with a degree of reverb added to them, most would say the kb does as well.

Today's high end arrangers provide on board effects to its output signals, so for some users...they really don't need externals effects.

I'm a Tyros2 user and several guys I know with the same kb run their mics into the back of their kb...adjust the mic effects the way they want to, and have one overall signal to send to their PA.

Unless your situation demands additional channels, its mostly a personal preference thing.

For me, I don't find the Tyros mic option very good at all. I've played with the settings and for my voice, it just doesn't work...

For others, it does swell...

What makes you ask?

Cheers,

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#265631 - 06/01/09 07:21 AM Re: Mixer? Yes or No?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
A mixer allows diversity...routing signals to different locations..As in everything, some mixers are limited, and some can do a multitude of jobs...

Keyboards for the most part will serve without a mixer, though some if not most are very basic..

I have two very decent keyboards that literally do not need a mixer at all..
Roland G70 allows mixing of all keyboard parts, aux in mixing with its own effects, mic and harmony controls with it's own effects...and global eq and master effects, too.

My other , Mediastation, goes beyond the G70..it does all the mixing jobs of the G70 plus adds , audio monitors outs (pair), and a pair of cue outs, for separate feeds to house etc, besides the mains..It also has video outs..All with individual controls..

#265632 - 06/01/09 08:47 AM Re: Mixer? Yes or No?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I play lots of jobs with different sets of equipment, but usually need 6 channels, plus the rc input for a CD or Ipod for break tunes.

A powered mixer lets me quickly adjust for the room and the various instruments. I have been using small-200-300 watt Carvins or Yamaha's.

On-board effects, plenty of power and the ability to use output eq to balance for the room without touching the individual channel eq (in most cases) make this work for me.

R.

#265633 - 06/01/09 09:17 AM Re: Mixer? Yes or No?
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
Thanks to all for the feedback!!
When I did play out I used a mixer and probably "Too Much" equipment!! I think some of us (me included) tend to "Over do it" when it comes right down to it.
No offense to anyone!!
For me Pa2x to powered (2-Yorkville E160's) works great! I have had a couple of mixers and it just seems to be reduntant for 1 KB and 1 singer! Certainly, as described by some, a mixer would be needed for other situations.

[This message has been edited by JCkeeys (edited 06-01-2009).]

#265634 - 06/01/09 12:11 PM Re: Mixer? Yes or No?
Gord Offline

Loc: Kelowna,British Columbia,Canad...
I'm using the Rolls Mini mix Pro-MX122
My vocals go into a Voice tone harmony-M unit,
the output of the harmony-M into one of 5 channels on the Rolls. The Ketron SD1 feeds into two channels of the stereo Rolls mixer.
Once in a while someone will ask me for a mike-to make an announcement or whatever-so the Rolls has one XLR input for a mike that I use for this purpose. My Barbetta powered speakers have tone controls -if I want to change the eq. The balance between voice and keyboard is set at home -so I just have to adjust the Master Volume on the Rolls for correct level when I'm out. The Rolls also has a phone/aux level control-so I plug my ear plugs into the 1/8 front panel jack for monitoring -and use the 1/4 front panel jack for recording with my Zoom H4. The Harmony-M unit is attached by Velcro to the Rolls unit along with a single power supply-also velcro attached to the rolls that feeds both units.
The mixer, Harmony -M unit and power supply -with short SD1 cables and Midi cable/pwr supply cable all fit into one plastic box for transport.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online