SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2653 - 09/14/03 10:53 AM A PC related low tech question - help!
ogre Offline

Loc: UK
This is nowt to do with music (this time) so can anyone help please.
My ISP is AOL and I've been trying to send a photo email attachment. AOL is supposed to automatically zip and unzip attachments, and following guidance by AOL I've scanned the photo using MGI Photo Suite and it goes into
C:\My documents\UNTITLE1.jpg. Then type the email and pick up this file and send off the email. BUT it takes about 20plus minutes to send and about the same time to receive - sending the email to myself.
I then tried Winzipping the photo, then clicking on "send by email" and a screen headed Outlook Express appears, subject matter as per the file. Type the email,press send, and the message goes off, but almost immediately I get a message that message has been rejected by Carefourfree, which was my ISP before AOL. I thought I'd got rid of carefourfree altogether but it's still somehow hanging in there.
I've contacted aol help section but they tell me that they cant improve on their method, but photos etc received come in immediately, so something is wrong either with my aol set up, or something I'm either doing or not doing.
Grateful for anyone's help but answers must be simple - I'm new to the world of pc'ing

Ogre

#2654 - 09/14/03 11:41 AM Re: A PC related low tech question - help!
tekminus Offline

Heheh AOL. Check if the image is several MegaBytes(MB) in size. That's thousands of kiloBytes(kB).

Unless you're on a fast connection, that could be it. Then again, if you're in the states, such things as fast connections don't exist

-tek, from Sweden, awaiting his 26Mbit VDSL line for $40/month coming in November. Yeah abby!

#2655 - 09/14/03 03:53 PM Re: A PC related low tech question - help!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by tekminus:
if you're in the states, such things as fast connections don't exist!

NOT TRUE !

#2656 - 09/15/03 09:19 AM Re: A PC related low tech question - help!
tekminus Offline

The exclamation mark is a mis-quote. There was a smiley there. Down with the haters. Teehee.

-tek

ps. Name one person you know, who, in his apartment has a 10Mbit/10Mbit Internet connection at ~$20/month. See? Told you so

#2657 - 09/15/03 09:31 AM Re: A PC related low tech question - help!
ogre Offline

Well, that helps a lot

I'm in the U.K. and in this area (North Wales) we have no access to such modern things as high speed connections, Broad Band etc

So, any other ideas fellas?? I'm sure that with all you high tech gurus there must be a way of beating this...

Ogre

#2658 - 09/16/03 09:30 AM Re: A PC related low tech question - help!
tekminus Offline

Well? Did you check the image size? You'd be surprised how many clubies try to send their 9 Meg digital camera photos to friends over a modem connection.

-tek

#2659 - 09/16/03 09:42 AM Re: A PC related low tech question - help!
frequency49 Offline

Loc: Lincoln, NE, USA
yup, for fast upload / download - some good specs would be 72 dpi for your resolution, and a height of something like 350 pixels or less (width sizing down proportionately to height) . That's suitable for on screen viewing.

- - - -

[This message has been edited by frequency49 (edited 09-16-2003).]

#2660 - 09/16/03 09:43 AM Re: A PC related low tech question - help!
ogre Offline

Hi Tek,

It's 8.98MB, which I suppose is too large?
I'll have a go at reducing it and see what happens.

Ogre

#2661 - 09/16/03 09:45 AM Re: A PC related low tech question - help!
frequency49 Offline

Loc: Lincoln, NE, USA
bingo.

#2662 - 09/16/03 09:46 AM Re: A PC related low tech question - help!
ogre Offline

Hi F49,

Just seen your post and I'll aim for that. Thank you.

Ogre

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online