SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#264989 - 05/28/09 09:16 AM AUDYA OS 3.0 ETA and more details.. AJ ???
leezone Offline

AJ,

if possible could you give us some insight into 3.0?

what are the major things we can expect?

i just think it would be WISE for Ketron to inform their "future" buyers of what to expect, sonner than later or naturally we may look elsewhere for our TOTL arranger.

#264990 - 05/28/09 09:18 AM Re: AUDYA OS 3.0 ETA and more details.. AJ ???
Dnj Offline

leezone so now are you buying an AUDYA?

#264991 - 05/28/09 09:20 AM Re: AUDYA OS 3.0 ETA and more details.. AJ ???
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I got one in-stock

------------------
www.AudioworksCT.com

#264992 - 05/28/09 09:38 AM Re: AUDYA OS 3.0 ETA and more details.. AJ ???
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by frankieve:
I got one in-stock

Only one??

Hmmmm,
if you send it to me as a gift worth less than 35$ (then it would be custom/taxfree)
and I pay you the US pricelevel, I would do a real bargain!
Specially compared to the robbery going on in this country..... LOL

Oh well, guess time will be my best force, they have to do something to it if compete
sales of the other top of the range arrangers.

Cheers
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#264993 - 05/28/09 10:47 AM Re: AUDYA OS 3.0 ETA and more details.. AJ ???
leezone Offline

not sure if an AUDYA is in my future,

or maybe a Roland G-80, or a T4, PA3X

#264994 - 05/28/09 11:34 AM Re: AUDYA OS 3.0 ETA and more details.. AJ ???
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Ketron have already told us what the Audya will do in the future....

EVERYTHING!

Mind you, they haven't managed to deliver on what they promised in the past (multiple audio streams, multitasking, etc.), so it's anyone's guess what they will actually deliver, and also how good it is.

Case in point is the style and sequence editing, which, if you read rikki's posts, was judged barely adequate on the finished SD-1. To be honest, there aren't any announcements coming from Ketron that style and sequence editing are going to be a quantum leap forward (unlike their announcement of the Audya's feature set TWO YEARS before it was ready), so if you want a good idea of what the Audya's editing is going to be like, look close and hard at the SD-1.

Everybody looked pretty hard at the SD-1 when it came out (and since). Few chose it (compared to K & Y). It still had the live drums back then, too. The way that the Audya has ended up crippled compared to its' pre-production announcement, it doesn't strike me as all THAT much more than an SD-1. If you discounted the SD-1 in the past, especially for editing abilities, I wouldn't imagine your position is going to change, all that much.

If the Audya was priced comparably with current TOTL offerings from Korg and Yamaha, it might make sense. A great sounding ROM only preset style player. But as crippled as the editing is right now (nonexistent) and as unlikely as it is to improve beyond SD-1 levels (barely adequate, IMO), it is STILL hard to figure out just what that extra $1500 is getting you...

#264995 - 05/28/09 04:35 PM Re: AUDYA OS 3.0 ETA and more details.. AJ ???
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
SO that we all understand what your saying about editing capibilities, are we/you talking about it the ability to listen to the file play, change sounds, volumne levels, sound choice and effects and save ...

Please explain how you edit midi sequences on a G70, in real time.. ?

#264996 - 05/28/09 10:32 PM Re: AUDYA OS 3.0 ETA and more details.. AJ ???
Diki Online   content

That's just the makeup tools... realtime header modifiers.

Next thing you need is detailed editing of sequencer tracks, the ability to go in and change one note to another, one track to another change anything into anything, to push the timing of a track or just one note within a drum track, to take all the backbeats and even them out without adjusting the rest of the track... basically, anything you could do in a computer should be doable from your arranger.

Rikki (who owned an SD-1) has posted in detail about the primitive editing on Ketron's, and I haven't heard you berate HER...

I'm just reading this stuff, I'm not making it up...

You had a Roland didn't you? Heck, the same sequencer and style editing capabilities and header editing exist on all E and G series arrangers currently out, from the least expensive to the most... This ain't no TOTL only stuff.

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 05-28-2009).]

#264997 - 05/28/09 10:37 PM Re: AUDYA OS 3.0 ETA and more details.. AJ ???
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
Then take the SD5, which is newer then SD1, no Seq, no Event Editor, you cant copy from element
to element if its not the same length, there is no sound editing at ALL and lots more...

#264998 - 05/28/09 11:41 PM Re: AUDYA OS 3.0 ETA and more details.. AJ ???
Diki Online   content

Quote:
Originally posted by Nedim:
Then take the SD5, which is newer then SD1, no Seq, no Event Editor, you cant copy from element
to element if its not the same length, there is no sound editing at ALL and lots more...

Comments, Dan?

I told you... I'm not making this stuff up.

#264999 - 05/29/09 09:59 AM Re: AUDYA OS 3.0 ETA and more details.. AJ ???
DanO1 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Comments, Dan?

I told you... I'm not making this stuff up.

Diki... I asked a question and I do not feel I berate you. I just want to know what you have to do to change sounds,volumne levels, effects , transposition etc,, with your G70.

This is the only thing I want to know...
I have paid no attention to Rikki's comments ...

#265000 - 05/29/09 01:28 PM Re: AUDYA OS 3.0 ETA and more details.. AJ ???
Diki Online   content

Well, seeing as Rikki was the one posting with the most experience with editing and style creation on a Ketron, perhaps you might have paid more attention? If you have issues with someone criticizing Ketron's editing capabilities, why not question the person who HAD ONE, rather than one merely repeating the facts? Sorry if I took your response the wrong way, but it seems more a rebuttal that a genuine desire to find out. If you wish to learn more about the Roland's editing, rather than ask me to post about it, why not do what I did for the Audya and SD-1... download the manual, and read it for yourself? To describe in detail what can be done with Roland's editing tools is a very extensive article...

To boil it down to a nutshell (there's mixing metaphors for you!), Roland's style editing and sequence editing is COMPREHENSIVE. Just about anything you could ever want to try, you can do it. In the E50 all the way up to the G70/E80. No external software needed. Only a powerhouse computer sequencer like Cubase offers more editing for a sequence (but none for a style). It has graphical, easy to read displays, makes the most of touch screen technology, and is pretty intuitive, if you have ANY editing experience.

Ketron's, for anything more complex than editing the headers on a track, are a joke, especially at the inflated price point of an Audya. Currently, a non-existent joke. But in the future, with OS3 (maybe) they will in all probability be the same joke that the SD-1 is. And this isn't MY opinion. It is the opinion of anyone that HAS posted here to talk about Ketron's editing capabilities.

Look, if you don't actually NEED any style editing capabilities, have at it. No skin off my nose! But maybe, one day, you might need to move a snare hit or kick pattern to match a song you want to do. Maybe you'd prefer bongos instead of congas on a style. Maybe you'd like to change the pocket of a shaker sound. Maybe you get a translated style that didn't get all the chords right...

Maybe you could let US know exactly what you would need a style editor to do...?

#265001 - 05/29/09 04:02 PM Re: AUDYA OS 3.0 ETA and more details.. AJ ???
DanO1 Offline

Quote:
Well, seeing as Rikki was the one posting with the most experience with editing and style creation on a Ketron, perhaps you might have paid more attention? If you have issues with someone criticizing Ketron's editing capabilities, why not question the person who HAD ONE, rather than one merely repeating the facts? Sorry if I took your response the wrong way, but it seems more a rebuttal that a genuine desire to find out. If you wish to learn more about the Roland's editing, rather than ask me to post about it, why not do what I did for the Audya and SD-1... download the manual, and read it for yourself? To describe in detail what can be done with Roland's editing tools is a very extensive article...

To boil it down to a nutshell (there's mixing metaphors for you!), Roland's style editing and sequence editing is COMPREHENSIVE. Just about anything you could ever want to try, you can do it. In the E50 all the way up to the G70/E80. No external software needed. Only a powerhouse computer sequencer like Cubase offers more editing for a sequence (but none for a style). It has graphical, easy to read displays, makes the most of touch screen technology, and is pretty intuitive, if you have ANY editing experience.

Ketron's, for anything more complex than editing the headers on a track, are a joke, especially at the inflated price point of an Audya. Currently, a non-existent joke. But in the future, with OS3 (maybe) they will in all probability be the same joke that the SD-1 is. And this isn't MY opinion. It is the opinion of anyone that HAS posted here to talk about Ketron's editing capabilities.

Look, if you don't actually NEED any style editing capabilities, have at it. No skin off my nose! But maybe, one day, you might need to move a snare hit or kick pattern to match a song you want to do. Maybe you'd prefer bongos instead of congas on a style. Maybe you'd like to change the pocket of a shaker sound. Maybe you get a translated style that didn't get all the chords right...

Maybe you could let US know exactly what you would need a style editor to do...?

Diki... I demonstrated the SD1 at NAMM shows for 2 1/2 years. I also was an authorized Roland dealer for 3 years. I was selling Roland arranger keyboards in 1996. I was selling Yamaha arrangers in 1988.

I created a video for the X1. So, I know Ketron products and I need no one's opinion.

I asked a simple question. How do you change sounds, volumne levels, effects in real time ?

If you have to put it in a sequencer, than to me, Roland does not have user friendly edit capabilities.

I'm not going to piss any more with you Diki.

#265002 - 05/29/09 04:15 PM Re: AUDYA OS 3.0 ETA and more details.. AJ ???
DanO1 Offline

The SD1 was not a joke and I find your remark offensive and stuck up.

#265003 - 05/29/09 04:21 PM Re: AUDYA OS 3.0 ETA and more details.. AJ ???
DanO1 Offline

AJ you and I are friends, so I'm sorry that this thread turned.

This is offically my last post...I've demonstrated Ketron for many years to many, many professionals. Stevie Wonder, Ricky Lawson, Bootsie Collins, Ellis Hall and many others and helped sell Ketron products for dealers all over the country. The product is a Joke,this forum has become a joke.

#265004 - 05/29/09 04:28 PM Re: AUDYA OS 3.0 ETA and more details.. AJ ???
leezone Offline

Dan,

doing ANYTHING on a G-70 is a breeze
you really don't need the manual
you just hit the button "MAKEUP TOOLS" and the rest is self explanatory
you could do all you ask (change sounds,volume levels, effects , transposition etc) and much more
NO NEED for a sequencer, this is all part of makeuptools,
you can make your own styles from midifiles, super easy too

you could even edit every part of any drumkit, you can EQ any part of the Kit, you can apply FX to any part of kit,
so if you want the Kick DRY, you got it, if you want the Snare "wet" you got it", if you need the Kick with more bass you got it,

try all that on a Ketron, add reverb to drum track, and sadly ALL drums have reverb

it is SUPER EASY on the G-70, so easy, a caveman can do it

#265005 - 05/29/09 06:35 PM Re: AUDYA OS 3.0 ETA and more details.. AJ ???
Diki Online   content

And so hard on a Ketron, an owner can't imagine for one second anybody else could have it easier...

Dan, I don't care one jot whether you are upset or not. I am merely repeating what others have posted about the bare bones nature of Ketron editing. I don't recall you ever getting so worked up about it at the time, nor refuting their experience.

How long ago were you a Roland dealer...? I missed the whole V/VA series, but I can assure you that NONE of this editing ease was in my G1000. This is all pretty new.

No, you don't have to put it in a sequencer. Header information, and detailed drumkit editing can all be done in realtime. Vol/pan/rvb/chr can all be adjusted from sliders for every single sound in the style (not just the eight Parts, but multiple sounds within a Part), as well as from their own dedicated page where you can also adjust velocity offsets (makes a big difference on those velocity switched sounds), octaves, transposition, Tone used (by a shortcut that gets you directly into the normal Tone selection pages), a button that starts the style wherever that particular sound is first used (in case you are in a Variation that doesn't use it).

And, if THAT is not enough detail, there is a fully featured sequencer where you can correct just ONE note or controller all the way up to doing percentage velocity offsets to just ONE sound in a drumkit only on a certain beat of the bar. But I apologize for calling Ketron's editing a joke. Were I to own one, I wouldn't be thinking it is very funny at all...

Instead of getting pissed of at me, why not take some of the others here with Roland's word? So easy, a caveman could do it. I like that!

And no offense, but if you were a Roland dealer, how come you don't already know this stuff? Don't throw your credentials around if your experience doesn't match it. I took the time to read the SD-1 manual, the Audya Quick Start guide, and read all the posts from those that had relevant experience. And you are pissed at me because you can't be bothered to do the same thing? What am I? Google?

If you don't need or want anyone's opinion (including Ketron's users) that sounds mighty arrogant. Come back and get worked up at me again once you have bothered to discuss the shortcomings in Ketron's editing with those that DO have them. It's not so easy to act so dismissive when you are talking to an owner that has considerable issues, is it?

#265006 - 05/29/09 07:59 PM Re: AUDYA OS 3.0 ETA and more details.. AJ ???
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Diki,
I actually sold my SD1+ last week ( after 3 years or so). Luved the sound, especially the Live Drums, but didn't suit my needs.
I use a lot of "user styles".

I don't think I've ever commented on the sequencer, not a function I use, I only mess around with styles.

Unfortunately I'm not expert enough to record a style in realtime from scratch & not make a mistake.

My styles are put together from, emc conversions, midifiles, mix n matching of style tracks etc etc. Simple stuff that any enthusiest could do. Lack of individual note & controller editing made it unsuitable for my needs.

Another option for user style editing was a PC sequencer, unfortunately the individual style parts had to be played across via a midicable from pc to sd1+.Labourious.

I can only assume Ketron Keyboards are targeted at the professional user ( which I'm not) or at users who are totally content with onboard styles or Ketron commercial styles ( which I'm not).

Too late to add additional editing functions to the sd1 & earlier boards.
To me one simple solution might have been a software editor ie by converting a Ketron style to midifile format. From there the file could be edited in any pc sequencer , saved & converted back to a style.
EMC has an import/export function that saves style as a midifile , only problem is, emc removes tempo changes & sometimes it removes controllers.

For my needs, the best thing that Korg did in it's os2 upgrade was add the ability to export a COMPLETE style as a midifile.
Even though korg's style editing can be done totally onboard, the ability to export the style as one long midifile , with Markers (which denote where style parts start) is brilliant. Makes editing a breeze.

Anyway, I'm now a very content PA800 owner, have been for 18months.

If nothing else, I've learnt, next time to make sure the keyboard I'm buying has the functions to suit my specific needs..

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Diki:
[B]

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 05-29-2009).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#265007 - 05/29/09 08:11 PM Re: AUDYA OS 3.0 ETA and more details.. AJ ???
Diki Online   content

Thanks, Rikki...

Professional or not, there are few who can record an entire part without making even ONE tiny mistake. And lack of event editing and controller editing makes ANYTHING a PITA. As does having to transfer to a computer (and having to buy a PC if you are a Mac user) to be able to do any detail work.

I've got a bunch of EMC conversions. And let me tell you, from controller issues to wrong chords (sometimes, 7th and 6th play fine, but simple major comes out as minor!), without event editing they are unusable. With event editing, they are often fine.

Treat an arranger as a ROM only preset machine, all is good. But if you like to assemble, create or edit styles, these tools are absolutely indispensable.

So.... any comment from the ex Ketron and Roland dealer?

#265008 - 05/31/09 12:30 PM Re: AUDYA OS 3.0 ETA and more details.. AJ ???
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Thanks, Rikki...

Professional or not, there are few who can record an entire part without making even ONE tiny mistake.

I'll do you one better.. I recorded this song a few years ago on my uh hm.. my Tyros >> Sorry Yamaha, out with the old in with the new i.e. my brand spanking new Fantom G7 that I purchased about a year ago" What can I say?

Anyway, left hand is Organ, right hand is Elec. Guitar (two parts plus a Mega Distorted at the beginning) and NO mistakes that I can tell. Oh and by the way, it was recorded "real time" in one take, directly into my computer. In fact, that's how I did most of my recordings with my uh hm.. former Tyros i.e. in real time.

Just Passing Through

It was Johann Sebastian Bach who said -
"There's nothing remarkable about it" {referring to playing the Piano/Keyboard}. He goes on to say - "All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself." >> Even more true when you play an Arranger with auto-accompaniment on eh? Get it... "Plays itself".. I thought so.

By the way Diki, thanks for the compliment!

All the best,
Mike

#265009 - 06/01/09 12:03 AM Re: AUDYA OS 3.0 ETA and more details.. AJ ???
Diki Online   content

Sorry, Mike... Not that it isn't a good try, but there are timing mistakes all over this. First is in the intro when you go to the 'four' chord (noticeable timing glitch from the arranger)...

I am not trying to put you down or anything, but it DOES kind of prove my point... The slightest mistake may not be a big deal, but let's just say you are trying to make a STYLE out of your playing. Any timing errors you make will come around every two or four bars (depending on how long the pattern is) and drive you crazy With an event editor, it's a piece of cake to fix just a couple of bum notes. But on the Ketron's (according to Rikki), you can't do this. You'd have to re-record the entire part. And hope you don't make even the slightest mistake next time, and the next, and the next...

A style creator without event editing is, IMO, virtually useless.

#265010 - 06/01/09 04:19 PM Re: AUDYA OS 3.0 ETA and more details.. AJ ???
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Diki,
you have to rerecord the track, not the entire style part.
Even so, with all the tracks that make up a style, me, it would take forever if I couldn't fix a minor mistake.
And as you said, timing has to be perfect for a style part.

best wishes
Rikki

[B]
With an event editor, it's a piece of cake to fix just a couple of bum notes. But on the Ketron's (according to Rikki), you can't do this. You'd have to re-record the entire part.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#265011 - 06/01/09 04:44 PM Re: AUDYA OS 3.0 ETA and more details.. AJ ???
John DiLeo Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
I'll do you one better.. I recorded this song a few years ago on my uh hm.. my Tyros >> Sorry Yamaha, out with the old in with the new i.e. my brand spanking new Fantom G7 that I purchased about a year ago" What can I say?

Anyway, left hand is Organ, right hand is Elec. Guitar (two parts plus a Mega Distorted at the beginning) and NO mistakes that I can tell. Oh and by the way, it was recorded "real time" in one take, directly into my computer. In fact, that's how I did most of my recordings with my uh hm.. former Tyros i.e. in real time.

Just Passing Through

It was Johann Sebastian Bach who said -
"There's nothing remarkable about it" {referring to playing the Piano/Keyboard}. He goes on to say - "All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself." >> Even more true when you play an Arranger with auto-accompaniment on eh? Get it... "Plays itself".. I thought so.

By the way Diki, thanks for the compliment!

All the best,
Mike

Mike I really enjoyed your song, very well done. I can't believe that others would say otherwise. I only wish I could play like that. The Organ was fantastic. Thank You

#265012 - 06/01/09 04:48 PM Re: AUDYA OS 3.0 ETA and more details.. AJ ???
Diki Online   content

Sorry, Rikki, yes, that's what I meant. You have to re-record the track. Over and over, until you get it perfect. I was just using 'part' generically (like 'the guitar part'), for each track... but when you start to think 4 Intros,4 Endings, Four Variations, Four Fills, each done in major, minor and 7th, each with up to eight Tracks.

All of which have to be PERFECT. And no way to edit them that way in the Audya... I shudder to think how tough that would be...

#265013 - 06/01/09 07:21 PM Re: AUDYA OS 3.0 ETA and more details.. AJ ???
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Diki,
that's ok. I was more concerned that I'd written something that was ambiguous, and that you thought I meant the whole style part ( ie variation or fill) had to be re-recorded.

Phew, saves me going back thru my posts, I prefer not to put out wrong info if possible . haahaa

best wishes
Rikki

[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#265014 - 06/12/09 01:46 PM Re: AUDYA OS 3.0 ETA and more details.. AJ ???
leezone Offline

so AJ any news on OS 3.0?

how's progress?
what's ETA?
what's new?

#265015 - 06/15/09 01:01 PM Re: AUDYA OS 3.0 ETA and more details.. AJ ???
Tony Hughes Offline

LeeZone,

Where did you get your information for Audya update 3.0 they have only just released 2.0a and AJ is too busy trying to find his way around his Audya without a manual, I doubt AJ having the answers!

Ask me about my Audya

My wife asked me last night did I want burying or cremating when I die, I said
“Surprise me”

[This message has been edited by Tony Hughes (edited 06-15-2009).]
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#265016 - 06/15/09 07:45 PM Re: AUDYA OS 3.0 ETA and more details.. AJ ???
Ketron_AJ Offline

Loc: Middletown, DE
leezone,

No ETA yet. Still working away slow ... but steady!! We are trying to finalize the manual in the other languages and release (based on OS 2.0) first ...

Will keep you posted.

Thanks,

AJ

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online