SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 25 of 32 < 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 31 32 >
Topic Options
#264667 - 06/23/09 10:41 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Very well arranged, and played with confidence, style, and lots of feeling.

If your arranger playing is even half as good as your pianistic ability, you are a force to reckoned with.

Great job, Noel.

Ian

#264668 - 06/23/09 11:06 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
yup, this is the one.
I am totally impressed.
I do recall that we used to play this style of jazz in the supper clubs back in the good old DAZE.
I don't think I can cut it anymore but I love to hear it,
Thanks for sharing,
Bebop

#264669 - 06/23/09 11:38 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Hey Noel,

I sent your offering over to the Music Library here on campus (U of Minnesota) where they play musical pieces via their PA out in the courtyard throughout the day. Your excellent piece will be in the rotation for the rest of the day....probably get played at least once an hour. There's your 4-hours of stardom here in MN.

-mike

#264670 - 06/23/09 11:43 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Mike, that's real cool - and thought ful.

BTW - Do you know Bob Sorem from UM? He's a player and a midi file maker. Worth checking him out.

#264671 - 06/23/09 02:33 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
jwyvern Offline

Noel, All I can add is that your playing was "something else!"
Since I haven't listened to much of Tatum's actual work it's more reminiscent for me of Oscar Petersen who I used to study closely when he was on TV for the voicings used - not too successfully unfortunately!

Not just practice required - didn't you need to develop the paddle hands necessary to stretch for some of those open chords too?
Fabulous.

John

[This message has been edited by jwyvern (edited 06-23-2009).]

#264672 - 06/23/09 06:29 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
Anonymous
Unregistered

One Word.....SUPERB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...Harold

#264673 - 06/24/09 01:35 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
pasadoble Offline

Loc: Portsmouth, England.UK
Thanks for all the wonderful comments and get air time on campus was beyond all my expectations...when you play a lot and as time goes by you just accept it's what you do and do not think of it as anything special..so I thank all of you for making me realise all my hard work was not in vain..
You do need big hands to stride 10th's easily I have managed to stretch my left hand over time...

Hopefully my post will not prevent more people posting...still would like to hear some more renditions.

Rgds

Noel...

[This message has been edited by pasadoble (edited 06-24-2009).]

#264674 - 06/24/09 01:46 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
jwyvern Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by pasadoble:

Hopefully my post will not prevent more people posting...still would like to hear some more renditions.

Rgds

Noel...

OK Noel, you've convinced me

Hi All,
Here's my instrumental/orchestral version of Nearness on Ty3 which includes SA2 and custom voices. Hardly anything out-of-the-box.

Quick-recorded (meaning played at once, not multitracked) to midi first, using registrations to change setups for the different sections.

The middle section of piano/strings/flutes was played full keyboard (piano fashion) to get the more open sounds and embellishments without being hampered by split points.

I use a Yamaha P85 as the keyboard for Ty3 as controller and prefer the weighted feel for all arranger playing.
http://www.box.net/shared/1f9kbi083c

Congratulations cassp and supporters for keeping this thread on the road.

John - UK Home User

[This message has been edited by jwyvern (edited 06-24-2009).]

#264675 - 06/24/09 04:07 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Beautiful version...Liked the variety of voices....

The T3 Clari is great...

Thanks for sharing that with us...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#264676 - 06/24/09 04:39 AM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by jwyvern:
Here's my instrumental/orchestral version of Nearness on Ty3 which includes SA2 and custom voices. Hardly anything out-of-the-box.

Quick-recorded (meaning played at once, not multitracked) to midi first, using registrations to change setups for the different sections.

John, this is excellent...sounds exactly like a big band...very well played and arranged...I like this even more than Noel's version...probably because you are using the "arranger" rather than a piano, but also, I'm a "melody" man and prefer to hear the crux of the tune rather than improvisations...but that's just my preference, Noel's version was still very, very good.

Fine work, my friend...very impressive, and even more so, considering it is a "quick record" which is basically how one would hear this tune if you just sat down and played it for them "live".

You definitely raised the bar again for instrumental versions of this great old ballad.

Ian

Page 25 of 32 < 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 31 32 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online