SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#261782 - 04/17/09 01:57 PM G-70 Guitar Mode
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Do you uae it, like it??? How/when do you uae it?

#261783 - 04/17/09 02:12 PM Re: G-70 Guitar Mode
hitman Offline

Loc: VA/ USA
Cass,
I use it on the E80 for arp-style playing mainly as an intro to some ballads. I like it a lot, and now even more!

[This message has been edited by hitman (edited 04-17-2009).]

#261784 - 04/17/09 07:05 PM Re: G-70 Guitar Mode
Rolman Offline

Loc: Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by hitman:
Cass,
I like it a lot, but it should have been made available for style making as well.

Hi Hitman,
why do you think it isn't possible to use it for Style making? After pressing 'record' (REC) in the STYLE COMPOSER select one of the Accomp track. You will see a field GUITAR MODE. Set it 'on'. Refer to Page 205 in the manual
for details.
Peter

This function is also available for G70. See Page 14 of the Manual Addendum Version 3.

[This message has been edited by Rolman (edited 04-17-2009).]

#261785 - 04/17/09 07:45 PM Re: G-70 Guitar Mode
hitman Offline

Thanks Peter, my bad!

I am still transfering my old custom VA styles into this thing, and fighting with occasional lock-ups when trying to edit these in make-up tools. Will find time soon to dig deeper into the manual!

Have you tried the guitar mode in the style sequencer? I could swear that somebody mentioned that it is unusable.

Any suggesttions as to why it does not like the old styles??

[This message has been edited by hitman (edited 04-17-2009).]

#261786 - 04/17/09 08:47 PM Re: G-70 Guitar Mode
Rolman Offline

Loc: Germany
[QUOTE]Originally posted by hitman:
[B]
Have you tried the guitar mode in the style sequencer? I could swear that somebody mentioned that it is unusable.

Yes, you are right, Hitman. Diki wrote this: http://roland-arranger.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=38&topic=635.msg3586#msg3586
I understood his comment as a restriction, but I don't have the guitar - knowlegde to check out his comments exhaustive at all.
Peter

#261787 - 04/18/09 11:29 AM Re: G-70 Guitar Mode
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Hopefully, Roland are looking into this. Guitar picking and strumming patterns are ACCOMPANIMENT... not the main part of a tune. Why Roland force you to actually PLAY their Guitar Mode, when Yamaha and Korg allow the arranger section to play it for you beats the heck out of me.

Sure, it's cool for making SMF's (like the 'You're So Vain' recent track), and yes, it DOES help a bit in style making if you have no guitar emulating chops, but once recorded, as I pointed out in the R-A.com post, you lose everything that makes it so good. The Roland Guitar Mode, as far as I know, is the only Guitar Mode that changes guitar positions on the neck depending on how high up in the chord recognition area you play the chord. It's a BRILLIANT feature, but only works in realtime, NOT in arranger mode.

So near, and yet so far...

Guitar emulation seems to be the gold standard for arrangers nowadays. Most of what we gush about seems to revolve about how well the guitar style parts work... Ketron's audio loops, Korg's Guitar Mode, Yamaha T3's new guitar NTT's and the Mega voices in style mode.

If Roland don't get SERIOUS about drawing level (forget passing the others!) in this one critical area, they are, I'm afraid, doomed to second rate status. I generally play with real guitarists, so for me the point is somewhat moot, but were I to concentrate on OMB jobs, I'm fairly sure I would have had to move to a Korg or Yamaha by now. Roland need to do so little to their OS to make Guitar Mode work for the arranger section. The next G-series had better darn well have this fixed...

#261788 - 04/18/09 03:44 PM Re: G-70 Guitar Mode
hitman Offline

I think that they should be able to do this with a OS update, but knowing Roland, this might be wishful thinking.

#261789 - 04/18/09 04:09 PM Re: G-70 Guitar Mode
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Roland are LONG past providing yet another OS update for the G70, especially with it discontinued. However, if they fix this issue on a new G-series, it might be possible to roll the feature into a new OS for the E80...

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online