SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#261757 - 04/17/09 11:46 AM Re: Who plays guitar?
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Cassp,
No you are not too old. What type of music will you be playing? We have classical guitars with wide necks and soft nylon strings – Acoustic guitars which have round holes, they are the most difficult to finger because of the gauge of the strings, they are normally heavier because of the desired volume. Electric like guitars Gibson, Fender and the cheaper models would be considered the easiest to finger.

Fact --- The most difficult learning on a guitar is to learn to play melody combined with chords, very much like a piano player. I would suggest learning chords, not just the fingering but everything about them. How they follow each other (Progressions) how they are constructed (What notes make up a chord) everything you can find get into.

Most the past 50 people I have taught I direct to chords combined with chord understanding. Note learning is great it will give you the entire picture but leave that for later. The chord understanding I am talking about will keep the doors open for future self-learning.

You’re going on a great journey Cassp, there is nothing as personal as a guitar. My last thought is about the people on this forum – boy, they are up and ready to help, after your 2389 posts it’s time you sat back and enjoyed.
Let us know how you are doing with the guitar.

John C.

#261758 - 04/21/09 06:43 PM Re: Who plays guitar?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Cassp,

I turned 58 in March and got an Ibanez electric and a Line6 amp for my birthday. I have fooled around with guitar on and off since my teens. I can play well enough to play rhythm guitar in a church praise band. Since I got my new guitar I have been practicing chords everyday. It's never too late.

Tom

Tom

#261759 - 04/22/09 11:21 AM Re: Who plays guitar?
SANMAN Offline

Loc: West Hills, CA, USA
Great thread. I'm turning 58 (a lot of us seem to be near this age). I used to play guitar regularly but stopped around 15 years ago in favor of learning keyboards/arrangers.
This thread has renewed my interest and a desire to pick up my guitar again. I thank you all for this.
Question - My hands/fingers are no longer the slim size of 15 years ago - hee hee. Can any of you recommend a tradtional electric guitar for larger hand folks? I have an old Gibson L6S from the 70's that my larger fingers can no longer squeeze into.

Thanks again for this thread.

Mark

#261760 - 04/22/09 11:29 AM Re: Who plays guitar?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Cass, lots of my return business is from clients who like the quiet guitar solos I do along with keys.

I also work with just guitar (nylon string-no vocals-all quiet instramentals), with a guitar, bass and drums trio (large jazz guitar, electric upright (son) and drum kit (grandson).

In the last month, I got a new Godin Kingpin (a 40's era style non-cutaway arch-top with a single P-90), a Guild 150 (large jazz hollow-body-single pick-up), an Ibanez Montage (Hybred-piezo and magnetic pick-up-on-board effects), a JazzKat PhatKat amplifier, an ART tube pre-amp, a tremolo effect box and a replacement MXR Phase 90.

Been playing guitar for almost 55 years, been getting paid to play for 53 years (since age 11) and still get that great feeling when I pick one up.

YOU'LL LOVE IT!

Russ

#261761 - 04/22/09 12:45 PM Re: Who plays guitar?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Russ, thanks for all the inspiration. I hope to receive the nylon guitar on Sunday. I'll write up a quick review of my first torturous chord changes. Who knows, maybe this third time will be the charm - I hope so.

#261762 - 04/22/09 12:53 PM Re: Who plays guitar?
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
I have to confess though that I haven't really played a "real" guitar for going on a few years now. The reason you ask? Well, I have found out that playing guitar on the 'keyboard' is really, really, REALLY FUN! My current Fantom G7 keyboard has some real nice guitar sounds on it, both Acoustical and Electric/Distorted. With such a wide palette of guitar sounds to choose from it is really easy and convenient to just use my keyboard as my "guitar(s)". I know that might sound a little strange to some but with the sonic improvements keyboard manufacturers i.e. the "Big Three and the rest of them" have made in producing better and more realistic guitar sounds (and other sounds as well), that I really look forward to the day when the sounds will eventually be "spot on" and you can't necessarily tell them apart from the real deal. They're getting closer and closer to that ideal even as we speak, and with each new high-end model that comes out things seem to keep improving. For instance with Acoustic Piano sounds we have the new and breathtakingly beautiful sounding Roland V-Piano. And I'm sure Yamaha is cooking up something even as we speak too (as far as piano sounds go anyway ).

The point being is, you won't necessarily have to go buy tons of other 'real' musical instruments e.g. real Guitars, real Pianos, real Bass's, real Trombones, real Rhodes, real Violins, real ***, real ***, real ***...... well, you all get the picture right?

PS: I'm not trying to dissuade you Cassp from getting a guitar though. Learning on the real thing is the best approach of course. I'm just trying to explain why for me personally (after years of "real" guitar playing under my belt) I now prefer to just use my trusty keyboard for essentially every known instrument under the sun, (including guitars) - to play them on. Which BTW, saves me literally hundreds of THOUSANDS of dollars - if not more, if I were to have to buy each and every 'real' one separately.

Just for the fun of it I am posting a couple of Nylon guitar demos I did on my Fantom G7. They are short demos I did a while back in demonstrating the "aftertouch" effect (on one of the demos) and just to give a general idea of how the nylon guitars sound on the Fantom G. Of course there are nuances missing when comparing to a real nylon guitar, but as I said, I am looking forward to when keyboard manufacturers will eventually incorporate more and more of the 'subtleties' of the real thing into keyboards to where you won't be able to really tell them apart. >> I realize we may have to wait 'awhile' before that actually happens though of course.

PS: I kept the files in .wav format to retain as much of the quality as possible. Enjoy!

Fantom G Bright Nylon Guitar.wav

Fantom G Nylon 1 Guitar.wav

All the best,
Mike

#261763 - 04/22/09 01:35 PM Re: Who plays guitar?
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Trouble is, as guitar SOUNDS get closer and closer to the real thing, the skill involved in playing them idiomatically stays just as formidable...

Sorry, and all that, but to be honest, most of those demos sounded like a keyboard player playing a guitar sound, Mike. And you a guitar player, too! Have you considered at least getting a MIDI guitar, and using that to trigger the sounds? That might help pull a more 'guitaristic' performance from the sound, IMO.

Another thing might be to dial down the velocity sensitivity, to make the highest strength string samples MUCH harder to hit... It sounds, at least to my ears, like a guitarist (of sorts!) that has 'muscled up' on the guitar and is whanging away with all his strength! As soon as you back down a bit, it becomes more believable (a bit ).

To be frank (and fair to manufacturers other than Roland ), most of the really credible guitar keyboard performances I have heard involve the Tyros2/3 SA guitars, which do an amazing job of bringing in performance nuances in response to your playing (sorry about the fret squeaks, squeak, but they don't bother me!), especially when you keep it idiomatic.

But then again, I've heard really bad, un-idiomatic demos of the same sounds that fail utterly to convince. It really IS down 99% to the performance, I'm afraid...

#261764 - 04/22/09 02:12 PM Re: Who plays guitar?
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
BTW, before anyone 'muscles up' on me, and demands I show them MY guitar emulation in order to be legitimate in my criticism, let me just point out I come from the other end of the spectrum...

I rarely EVER try to do guitar emulation, at least acoustic and nylon, simply because i DO find it next to impossible to stay completely idiomatic and still express what I hear in my head. Real guitarists always achieve this without, so it seems, the slightest effort whatsoever... Hence, I tend to nearly always play with a guitarist!

Leave them to what they do best, and leave myself with what I do best... It seems to work out admirably

But, at least from working with real guitarists (and some quite good ones, too), I feel I've got a pretty good ear for what IS good emulation, and what isn't. Sorry that this is how I feel, but of all the sounds in a keyboard, guitar is the one I generally cringe when I hear someone try to emulate unless they are VERY skilled at it. Of course, in the meanwhile, arrangers are making great strides in achieving believable guitar strumming and picking on the auto side of things, but on the whole, I haven't seen much that can make bad emulation into believable on the 'live' side of things.

Of course, JMO... yada yada yada....

#261765 - 04/22/09 07:34 PM Re: Who plays guitar?
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
[QUOTE]Originally posted by captain Russ:

I also work with just guitar (nylon string-no vocals-all quiet instramentals), with a guitar, bass and drums trio (large jazz guitar, electric upright (son) and drum kit (grandson).

Russ, Now you have me drooling.

John C.

#261766 - 04/22/09 07:42 PM Re: Who plays guitar?
Beakybird Offline

I agree with Diki about the guitar as far as strumming sounds and lead guitar.

I think as far as just picking, you can do fine with a keyboard.

I play a handmade Yamaha LL 400 acoustic - cost about $1000 ten years ago - and a Yamaha Custom shop Pacifica USA 2 electric. Both good instruments.

Beakybird

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online