SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#261723 - 04/19/09 08:25 AM Re: Korg PA800 or Pa2x and a updated review
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mikey_maestro:
At the resort I perform at in cape cod, there is a growing number of older children and teens. They are hoping for more mature songs to be mixed in. They are asking for covers of stuff like the Jonas brothers, high school musical etc.

Mikey,

I feel guilty saying this in a "keyboard" forum, but.....I found it easier to go the DJ route. In the beginning, sure, I kept up with new tunes but I found it to be time-consuming and my energies were better directed toward the entertainment side of it. i.e. coming up with new ideas, games, patter, keeping up with the "kids" world in general.

Of course, the children were pleased because they could hear the original song the way they're used to it. Then there's the standards...Cha-Cha Slide, Macarena, Cotton-Eyed Joe, etc. There's no way on earth I'm going to generate the excitement that the original recording has.

So, I pretty much get around it like this...work harder on the actual entertainment angle (interacting out on the floor with them)....and....to maintain respect (there is none as a DJ), I bring the keyboard and start out with it, but I will ALWAYS seque to the DJ setup most times within 30 minutes.

Makes life a heck of a lot easier for everyone!

Lucky

#261724 - 04/19/09 08:38 AM Re: Korg PA800 or Pa2x and a updated review
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
What each of us need in styles varies dramatically. A lot depends on skill level (if you don't play much, your arranger needs to play more), a lot depends on what you use it for (if you mostly sing, and use the arranger for accompaniment, you need a different level of playing density to if you are playing a lot yourself), etc., etc..

What works perfectly for one is a busy mush for another. Arrangers are, in a way, just like bands... some overplay, some underplay, some get it just right, but only when they are backing one particular frontman.

Personally, I think style density (not just how many parts are playing, but how busy each one is) is probably one of the MOST important considerations when it comes to deciding whether you like an arranger or not. Forget the sounds, forget the OS... Do the ROM styles leave JUST the right amount of space for how YOU like to play? Get that wrong, and it doesn't matter too much whether the sounds are great, or the panel layout is perfect or not...

Just a thought...

Diki....you said it all here. That's the key that opened the mystery box (for me at least). I don't get a lot of time these days to actually THINK, so what I've been doing, looking for a new keyboard, is dragging myself from place to place trying them out without stopping to think what I'm actually doing. It's kind of like looking for a new car and then going from dealer to dealer, not being happy with any of them, but not taking the time to figure out WHY?

That's WHY...what you said. Since I've been in this room, I've been getting confused about what's "right" and what's "wrong" with each board. Everybody writes good stuff, they've all done their homework for sure, but I'm forgetting the obvious. The next person's needs are a lot different then mine.

So, that's what's wrong for ME, with the Korg. The rhythms ARE too active...for ME! Subconsciously, I feel tied up and locked into the style when I try to move about in a song. Someone else would have a stronger need for something more busy.

I'm going to take a short hiatus (also while I'm waiting for the Audya to come in) and sit down at my desk and go over what actually ARE my needs according to MY style rather than to trudge back and forth trying out each keyboard and "hoping something fits."

Funny....when I practice, I make sure my methodology (of practicing) is correct and efficient so I don't waste time. I need to apply that principle to "keyboard shopping" now!

Lucky

#261725 - 04/19/09 08:40 AM Re: Korg PA800 or Pa2x and a updated review
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Mikey,
Keep the T2...buy a PA2XPRO NOT a PA800...lots of reasons!

You will need to spend some time with the PA2...it is deep...very flexable and great sounds! It has many PRO features, and is METAL, built well IMHO and the keybed is super (76 keys).

Styles are super! Some here (naysayers) probably have not even heard a CURRENT PA with OS2 2.1 AND some of the RECENT free styles from Korg's site! Also, more user styles are starting to pop up now..some free, some $$$

The style editing featres are SUPERB.
Drums are not quite as in your face as Ketron...but MUCH better than Yamaha for LIVE play.

DNC sounds are great AND you can build your own, not just take what is given from Korg.

In the end you must decide if you like it...I sold my T2 6 monthes after buying the PA2XPRO.

OH, I forgot to say..the sound through my Mackie HR824's is OUTSTANDING.No comparison to a PA800 through it's built in speakers.

Lee S

#261726 - 04/19/09 09:08 AM Re: Korg PA800 or Pa2x and a updated review
mikey_maestro Offline

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ
i am excited to try the PA2X pro. I will say it is the absolute most gorgeous arranger Ive ever seen.

I need to get to franks store soon to have fun on it.

------------------
God Bless,
Mikey

www.mikeymaestro.com
www.myspace.com/kidconcert
www.balloonanimal.com
www.jokevid..com
www.77bucks.com Affordable web design

#261727 - 04/19/09 10:03 AM Re: Korg PA800 or Pa2x and a updated review
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Mikey,
YES...go to Frank's..he can take you through it in fine fashion...ad he will be objective about the good and not as good points of the Korg...beacause we all know none of the arrangers is perfect...and never will be.

Lee S.

#261728 - 04/19/09 10:09 AM Re: Korg PA800 or Pa2x and a updated review
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
Mikey,

1) Styles are super! Some here (naysayers) probably have not even heard a CURRENT PA with OS2 2.1

2) Drums are not quite as in your face as Ketron...but MUCH better than Yamaha for LIVE play.

Lee S

1) To be fair to Korg, I still haven't heard OS 2.1. But I must add that KorgUSA assured me that there is minimal difference! I'll make a judgment call when I hear it myself!

2) I found the opposite to be true. I thought Korg was actually more in my face than the Ketron. But again, I really need to sit down and just listen to someone else playing rather than do my own.

#261729 - 04/19/09 04:02 PM Re: Korg PA800 or Pa2x and a updated review
trevorjohn Offline

Loc: Cambridge United Kingdom
Having switched from T2 to PA800 last November I have found that one of the better features of the Korg is the ability, at the touch of a button, to silence all of a style except drums and bass. This enables one to be creative when you want to be and idle when you don't. I use a midi controller board to play left hand sounds and styles. It never quite worked with the Tyros as the left hand sounds always seemed weak and not the same as the identical sound selected for right hand. Not so with the PA800. Whether selected for right or left hand use the voices sound the same and with them used across the full width of both keyboards I find I can get a much richer variety of tone. Particularly in the lower registers.

Trevor

#261730 - 04/19/09 06:29 PM Re: Korg PA800 or Pa2x and a updated review
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I've got my D-Beam set up for that function on the G70...

Wave my hand in the air, like magic, and away goes the ACC, and just B&D left playing.

Ahhhh.... the sound of silence (almost!)

#261731 - 04/19/09 11:22 PM Re: Korg PA800 or Pa2x and a updated review
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Lucky,
I found that with the beguine style.
The first few bars suited the song perfectly, by the time I got to bar 8, something wasn't quite working.
I simply cut the style down to the first 4 bars & saved as a user style.

Editing functions on the korg PA800/PA2x are brilliant.

best wishes
Rikki
p.s by dance styles, do you mean modern dance ( trance etc) or foxtrot , waltz etc ??
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lucky2Bhere:
[B]There's something I noticed after playing the PA2xPro. The styles were too strong and too busy! While they sounded fantastic the first few times around, I found them to be irritating as they go on and especially while I'm trying to improvise on a song.

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 04-19-2009).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#261732 - 04/20/09 10:15 AM Re: Korg PA800 or Pa2x and a updated review
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by trevorjohn:

I use a midi controller board to play left hand sounds and styles.

Trevor [/B]

Trevor....I'm confused about why you use a "midi controller board" to play the left hand. What's wrong about playing the Korg directly (with the left hand)?

and...

if I find a style too "busy" what are my options towards "quieting" it down while I'm playing?

I don't read when I'm performing....I do everything out of my head. Hence, access of controls and "speed" is important to me as I tend to go from one song to another.

Lucky

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online